Sign in to follow this  
PeterC

FPS Hiccups Ruining Game For Me

Hello,

I have been playing ARMA for about a year now and I love it. Today I ran into a very weird issue, when I start playing ARMA for the first 15 minutes I lag like CRAZY, and this is running the same settings I normally use. Also, when I try to play around with my gear during these low FPS times my mouse goes crazy.

I system restored my computer to yesterday and it seemed to fix it (I was running at high (normal setting) and I was even able to get a bit more FPS out of it. But then I went from 60 FPS to ~15 FPS and I was forced to change to very low settings which then allows me to play at ~30. Thankfully I was able to get back to 60FPS on high after a minute or two.

What is causing these weird FPS issues? How can I fix it?

Well, that's very hard to say from such little information ^^

How about PC specs?

Have you lately updated your video card drivers?

Are you possibly running any background tasks (e.g. windows likes to update itself without telling you sometimes).

Have you lately installed any software that could be causing this?

Have you tried running a complete virus scan?

1) spec

2) No

3) No (I am SUPER crazy about stuff like that)

4) Nope

5) Yep, nothing

1) spec

2) No

3) No (I am SUPER crazy about stuff like that)

4) Nope

5) Yep, nothing

Those specs don't list your video card (afaik) but anyway, it would be a good idea to try and update your drivers and see if that helps. Another thing I noticed is that you're running a 6-core processor, and I'm not sure if ARMA takes full advantage of this; i.e. it may only be utilizing 4 or 2 out of your 6 cores.

I set cores=6. I also run a 5750 (I know, just one card away from being able to run ARMA 3). I will try to update drivers.

Check the temperature of your GPU with something like Speedfan. Sounds like the card is getting too hot and it's underclocking itself to prevent damage.

BTW cores=6 doesn't mean A2 will actually properly use all 6 cores. The game has to be coded to allow it (which I don't think it is).

Try defragging your HDD.

It could also be mission dependent lag. Try a different mission.