Sign in to follow this  

Possibility of an open beta for owners of ArmA/ArmA II?

Just throwing it out there.

It'd be well nice, don't you think? And a sweet reward for us fans faithful to a one-of-a-kind series. Not to mention it'd allow us to actively help with the development process.

Opinions?

<3

it would be nice but only place this will happen is in your dreams.

Too much work on behalf of BIS

If anything it will be a super small beta with top community members probably modders and Clan leaders.

As usual, the 1.00 German version is closed beta, and 1.01-1.04 euro version is open beta, and 1.05 US version is final version.:D But you must pay for those beta before official beta comes out.

msy is faster than me

And he is right.

You will get to enjoy all your bugs in 1.00 - even if you don't own previous games, so don't worry. BIS is working hard on it.

As usual, the 1.00 German version is closed beta, and 1.01-1.04 euro version is open beta, and 1.05 US version is final version.:D

Thats a low blow man.

Check the interview with Ivan

Thats a low blow man.

But I will buy it as soog as the agent starts to sell them in my area.:yay:

Just throwing it out there.

It'd be well nice, don't you think? And a sweet reward for us fans faithful to a one-of-a-kind series. Not to mention it'd allow us to actively help with the development process.

Opinions?

<3

Believe me when I say that you don't want to see a beta of such a game. I had to chance to use the A2 beta and I still have nightmares.

Legislator;1999673']Believe me when I say that you don't want to see a beta of such a game. I had to chance to use the A2 beta and I still have nightmares.

Misconception that all betas end up like Halo 3's, gears of wars all polished up and all.

BIS is a small budget developer compared to the companies that own those IP's.

Also you would have to provide alot of bug reports, try to reproduce the bugs basically you become Quality assurance.

Game testing isn't a s fun as you think. You get a form, a set of tasks and you start working. You have a tight schedule and if you don't keep up you are out of the team.

We had a "tester" on a indie MMO project I am part of who instead of testing the random missions generator was killing NPC's to get his server rank up ... on a test server :rolleyes:

Plus Ivan said that their QA department improved considerably since ArmA 2 so lets all :)

Edited by Maio

If there are goddamn neck holes in the pilot LODs of characters, my God heads will roll. :rage:

Well, there'll be a very angry bug in the bug tracker tout suite, I assure you.

If there are goddamn neck holes in the pilot LODs of characters, my God heads will roll. :rage:

Well, there'll be a very angry bug in the bug tracker tout suite, I assure you.

LOL .... :p I have to agree here, if you ever have to make that ticket, PM me, I will be in like a shot with URL links to multiple shaking fist animated gifs :mad::D

Also an unintended pun?

Also to OFP'ster if you check out the recent Ivan interview they talk about this which will give you some idea of the answer, best to listen to it than me give my interpretation of what I think the answer was, or might have been, kind of, maybe sort of.

Check it all out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n2LwQXTNyc

Q: Will there be a beta for players to test?
Edited by mrcash2009

As usual, the 1.00 German version is closed beta

And correspondingly is also the "fame" of the game in this country. :)

It'd be nice to see a Closed Beta with people that are actually willing to test and use a private issue tracker. If they would ever open it up to say Anybody who bought the game or even a registration based system, you'd just end up with 10,000 people who want to play the game and complain something is broken.

A lot of people don't understand what beta/alpha testing means and it seems that companies don't either. Plus BIS probably has:

A) Inhouse testing (well we know there is somewhat of a QA department)

B) A source of testers they can rely on for external usage

Well i think the community is the best thing BIS has. They should think about a beta for those that pre purchase the game.

No. No. And no.

This childish beta madness for "pre-purchasers" needs to stop ... some companies are leading the term beta totally ad-absurdum with it. People obviously have too much money on their hands these days...

As been said already by others here: We are basically beta testing A3 all the time - be it through giving feedback to latest official patches or participating in A2 beta patches - all of which carries over some relevance to A3 as BI is not making something all-new but stacking up on what we have now.

And there´s no way one will make me believe that flaws/bugs found 2 weeks before release date can get fixed for the final product, which at this time, has been gold mastered and factorized for weeks already.

Although I disapprove of the notion of an open beta, I would surely like to participate in some sort of beta :)

ivan already said (in the latest interview) there might be closed betas with some of the community members or groups, but by no means an open beta (neither for pre-orders or otherwise)...

ivan already said (in the latest interview) there might be closed betas with some of the community members or groups, but by no means an open beta (neither for pre-orders or otherwise)...

I hope it'll be more open that the last one, cause ArmA2 beta testing wasn't really a success.

No. No. And no.

This childish beta madness for "pre-purchasers" needs to stop ... some companies are leading the term beta totally ad-absurdum with it. People obviously have too much money on their hands these days...

As been said already by others here: We are basically beta testing A3 all the time - be it through giving feedback to latest official patches or participating in A2 beta patches - all of which carries over some relevance to A3 as BI is not making something all-new but stacking up on what we have now.

And there´s no way one will make me believe that flaws/bugs found 2 weeks before release date can get fixed for the final product, which at this time, has been gold mastered and factorized for weeks already.

Exactly those "betas" should just be called Balance testing, thats all they really take feedback apon. BR is overpowered durr durr durr that sort of complaining is going to do nothing to help BIS out.

Indeed.

If there should be "open beta" it should be given to teams like ACE team so ACE mod will be made for ArmA3 much faster.

I hope it'll be more open that the last one, cause ArmA2 beta testing wasn't really a success.

true that...

Indeed.

If there should be "open beta" it should be given to teams like ACE team so ACE mod will be made for ArmA3 much faster.

FPDR...

Maybe we should all have 3 nominations for our "Heroes" that could master beta for us, in our name -much like the heroes of CM's ofpDR.