Sign in to follow this  
andreas1183

Warfare/CTI + Role play= Nice!

It will be really nice if the game has a official server that supports more than 200 players.

and have a warfare/cti + role play on it.

like if you're playing as a civilian and then some soldiers invade the city.

Warfare/Capture the Island + Role play= :yay:

No server can handle that many players with the amount of scripts running for that mode (plus I'm pretty sure we're capped at 128 players right now, so I don't see it rising too much more than that).

We will see, we will see, maybe something for ArmA 4
I doub't we will see something like ArmA IV...also...while the technology around Intetrnet connections evolved, a lot of people still hang on a 128kb/s because providers cant deliver more.

Seeing the stagnation in affordable hardware evolvement compared to the 90's you can see a staggering stagnation in the whole PC sector.

Back in 2000 a game from 1995 looked simply awfull by 2000 standard...today in 2011 you play a game from 2006 and still have a graphic that is still decent by todays standard...but you often see much better gameplay in the older titles.

Hey...there are games out there that were made in 2003 and are still sold for 20$ with a small update as top notch titles in the Simulation genre. (LockOn 2.0)

Edited by Beagle

I doubt we will see something like ArmA IV...

A lot of people doubted we would see an ArmA3. Hell it was even hinted by BIS that there would be no ArmA3... yet here were are. There will be an ArmA4, trust me.... what else would BIS possibly do?

Seeing the stagnation in affordable hardware evolvement compared to the 90's you can see a staggering stagnation in the whole PC sector.

Back in 2000 a game from 1995 looked simply awfull by 2000 standard...today in 2011 you play a game from 2006 and still have a graphic that is still decent by todays standard...but you often see much better gameplay in the older titles.

Hey...there are games out there that were made in 2003 and are still sold for 20$ with a small update as top notch titles in the Simulation genre. (LockOn 2.0)

Well its not so much that the technology development is stagnant... its that there is little demand for faster PC hardware.

Now adays, almost every PC game is just a port of a console game. As everyone knows, the current consoles are six years old... so that means most PC games now adays were built to run on six year old hardware. Sure you can use higher resolution textures, higher draw distances, and DX11 on those ported games bumping up their hardware requirement... but the game is still built for old hardware. This leads to a lack of demand right now for faster, more powerful hardware.

Thats where games like ArmA are punished. Being only a PC game its not limited to the six year old console hardware... but since there are so few other PC exclusives, the demand for faster hardware is simply not there. There is in fact some really powerful PC hardware out there... but the lack of demand has kept the price fairly high.

Once the next generation of consoles come out, expect to see a giant boost to PC capability, and a rapid drop in the price of extreme high end hardware.... possibly making hundreds of more players in a game like ArmA possible.

Once the next generation of consoles come out, expect to see a giant boost to PC capability, and a rapid drop in the price of extreme high end hardware.... possibly making hundreds of more players in a game like ArmA possible.

I doubt that next-gen consoles would be as strong as today's top or even upper-mid range. Even just upgrading to the power that my 2,5 year old PC has would be a massive step up.

We will see, we will see, maybe something for ArmA 4

ArmA 4 is not going to magically improve the strength of internet connections.

ArmA 4 is not going to magically improve the strength of internet connections.

No but the intervening years might :D

No but the intervening years might :D

yup, 4G is being built like crazy here.

The Aus ArmA guys are working on something very like this at the moment, luckily i managed to get directed to them before my thread was closed for some reason on armaholic. That just happens on there though i guess, part of the charm? Am now hoping to get involved and help them myself, if your interested in more PM me.

I seriously doubt you can do this sort of mission with anything more than 20 human players. NOBODY's server could handle the magnitude of this mission.

If you would like to prove me wrong, feel free to.

Well i think a version of his idea could involve less scripts if anything, if a games master oversaw the play and it wasnt strictly classic warfare gameplay and more RPG as he mentions.

Id definitely say for ArmA 3 though, its improvements on A2 would no doubt be vital.