Sign in to follow this  
jasonbo

Am I the only one that wants to see a ARMA III MMO?

I'd be great only if the game included the following:

Huge Land area

Major Conflict (2+ Major Power, 3+ Minors)

Real World Objectives (Capture town and Hold, then move up)

Balance between far away respawn points and getting back into the fun quicker

Huge dev 'event' say armoured NPC column is approching city B.

+

Real-world weather (Flooding, snowing, hail etc.)

You have just pretty much described Domination and some other similar missions...

Take Domi, add MSO functionality to it. Make a PvP alternative to it too. There you have your MMO.

All possible within ArmA currently. It's just that you need that NASA supercomputer as MadDogX already stated.

Take Domi, add MSO functionality to it. Make a PvP alternative to it too. There you have your MMO.

Actually there is a PvP version of Domi too. :D

SpooksAUS, you've played Arma, right?

What you mean this isn't Modern Warfare 2 forums!?

Seriously though I know it's very similiar to Arma 2 now, except add in a living economy, proper supply lines, better enviroments (Arma 2 buildings are 90% of the time unoriginal) and then a few more sides.

Then add in a ranking system, like 100kills/10 Cities captured makes you a private or something. Then add in a weapon modification but not overpowering then add the server so it can hold up to 5,000 players and good to go.

Also maybe once you reach a better rank you can create your own faction and wreck small towns and capture them for yourself.

While Arma might not be the best game to offer up as an mmo there is definitely a gap in the market for a realistic shooter mmo.

The only option that I know of at the moment is World War II online which is frankly bollocks.

Please note I said mmo not mmorpg. mmorpgs can sod off.

Please note I said mmo not mmorpg. mmorpgs can sod off.

The line between MMO and MMORPG is thin and quite subjective. ;)

If I may ask, what RPG elements in particular do you dislike?

Edited by MadDogX

Demonized

In regards to loading other parts of a map and such, theres an engine coming out that can do the whole world and other planets "Orbiter" style already. Check youtube too searching Outerra to see the alpha detail.

But most must of heard of Outerra by now though on a forum like this.

http://outerra.com/wfeatures.html

If it followed the World War II Online ethos and maybe developed its own way of playing, perhaps mineing and setting up a base to mine and defend for as long as you dare, generating your own allies and enemies. or even play style, like being let loose in editor with thousands of other players scattered all over a country sized map, as Outerra has that capability and far more.

Perhaps trying to develop other parts of warfare besides strictly attack and battle units. Perhaps each person base could create radio "noise" the bigger it got the stronger its signiature was to pick up by electronic warfare planes or search and jamming planes/units. You pick your role as a base builder and miner, or an attack force, or attack force for hire (PMC) maybe base hunter, the list goes on. Think of it as a giant game of Warfare as a starter point then develop it to fit the scale.

With all that space problems are created but it also gets rid of alot of others.

Theres no quieting naysayers till its fleshed out and done by a developer, but with this Outerra engine coming out being the first sign of an evolution of the idea, plus the fact WW2 OL and Planetside are merely the first of their kind and do work, why a normal evolution using perhaps Outerra couldnt or shouldnt be followed is ass-talk and typical pre/teenage close minded forum trollage.

Outerra are releasing a demo soon.

The Outerra Engine, when released, will most likely be used by someone to try this.

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

I view a ARMA MMO as a very big map, lot of Insurgents and Civies and a WW2OL command structure.

Rather than having random, clans like United Operations & Tactical Gamer can set up HQs and FOBs.

Just a VERY big mission I guess...

I think this would be cool actually if done right.

The world is your playground. Every Unit has a Main Base or something where they start and you can deploy to multiple parts of the world, where it is populated like real life (with civilians and insurgents or what not).

Depending on your unit or guild whatever you are assigned different missons. If you aren't in a guild yet you are placed into an infantry division by your location in the world. US guys= US ARMY, USMC, NAVY, Airforce. Europe= either UK or another nations forces.

Will this ever happen? Probably not. But it could be a cool dream

As it is, the battlefields could work like Planetside did, a huge world divided into zones connected by... something. Instead of having a whole world on one map with, hopefully, thousands of players, you get a bunch of interconnected maps with "only" a hundred or so people and AI on each of them. Course it'd need a stupidly expensive server cluster to do that.

Who gives a shit if he has one post or when he joined? He is just as entitled to post here as anyone else is.

An MMO would be pretty cool. Just no ranking or anything please. The war would truly go on without you.

Remember that bunker you set up before you left for the night, well it might now be overtaken by the enemy.