Sign in to follow this  
jasonbo

Am I the only one that wants to see a ARMA III MMO?

Let's see... In ArmA series, you can:

1. Mod everything as much or as little as you fancy.

2. Create new units, vehicles, terrains, and other game assets, then share them with the community as addons.

3. Design your own SP and MP missions. Even invent your own original game modes.

Yeah, I'd say the entire philosophy of ArmA is completely opposite to what MMOs are all about. Sorry! :)

I'mma hit you with my level 11 M249, two hander. It has red dot sights which grant me +4 bonus accuracy, and my Suit of Traction allow me to fire the Epic weapon with ease.

Word.

Perhaps the OP is suggesting some kind of persistant gamemode like MSO, with PVP support added. while i can't imagine that being planned by the devs i would certainly support the implementation of such a gamemode.

Persistent gamemode would be great to have. Or at least a pauseable multiplayer environment. But a static MMO? No thanks. Much of the fun of ArmA comes from being able to tinker with the engine and recreate anything. Can't do that in an MMO.

It's an interesting idea. If BIS were to ever do such a thing however I'd hope they don't name it ArmA. Too much would be expected under such a name. Maybe Take On Warfare?

Honestly I'd love to see ARMA go so wide as to be an MMO with live people playing civilians occupying towns and deciding whether to help or harm your mission. We may be a few years off from that sort of game though.

But I want my $25 ponies...

Make it my little ponies and I'll consider it.

Speaking of civilians and whatnots, isn't this kind of what city life does?

The problem is details and size.

All these things can already be done in editor, but we have only so much space on one map.

If we had a way to host multiple maps, or BIS setup a super server with nodes or whats it called, and we could travel to edge of takistan and then load "south of Takistan" map from where we came etc it would all be possible.

But its down to the details and size of maps we currently have, im sure the community could make this happen over time if the tools for such loading was available.

but making say 100 takistan maps with same details into one big world would take ALOT of effort.

but if so, then the community could upload "missions", "events", "targets" etc to the collective and players could run freely across the world in true MMO style, keeping the world running with pretty much full immersion, supported by BIS "events".

Featuring good guys, bad guys, selective guys, civilians, maybe arma farming could be a big hit within the civilian ranks.

Stealing and smuggling of vehicles, weapons, equipment from bluefor bases by renegades, sold to PMC´s, opfor etc.

The world could be entirely player driven, maybe even incorporate money system for fuel, equipment, maintainance etc..

The total story could just be something like Afghanistan, Iraq etc. mirroring what the real life is in those areas atm.

the only thing we lack is ability to load a new map and a super server sentral to host all the running maps on, with same detail, same quality, same amount of AI etc on all of them simultanusly....

The idea is somewhat appealing, i must admit that.

Edited by Demonized

Yes you are the only one.

If they are able to make a mmo and still keep the gameplay and core features in Arma I say go ahead, but if it is just another mmo thats copying wow then I say no thanks.

Turn ArmA into a MMORPG and charge the community for even the most basic feature like increasing the view distance for a couple hours. Brilliant thought, Mr Watson! Now, would you please hand me my credit card, I need fresh batteries for the PRR...

A lot of people here are jumping to conclusions where the OP wants a static RPG game. MMO means massively multiplayer online, and as such can mean any kind of multiplayer game with lots of players. World War II Online is an MMO.

The biggest problem in A3 will be the network traffic generated by a great number of players. Currently around 60 players is the practical limit in A2 unless the server is exceptionally good.

Edited by Celery

(So friggin' what?)

While an MMO would certainly be fun, I do think it is kinda out of the BIS scope, at least at this point in time. But as others have said, fans might make something similar.

Switching from a open, modable format to a closed one (which I beieve is a necessity for MMOs) would not go over well with the community at large, however. We have to be realistic about these things. :D

EDIT:

I played the shit out of the original Planetside, which by all accounts would qualify as an MMO. It was great fun and the scope was vaster than even arma could portray. But in the end the moddability issue reared its ugly head. In arma, I can just whip up some replacements or do a mission if I think things are getting stale, but in Planetside we only got new content whenever Sony felt like releasing something. So in the long run for Hundy's heart, Arma takes all.

They're talking about Planetside 2 now, so Hundy might be eating out soon...

Edited by Hund

Let Arma be Arma and MMOs MMOs. I don't even think the engine is efficient enough, or built for this. Put a couple of thousands of objects around the map and see how it affects frame rates both for client and server. AI are not fully aware of placed objects. And amount of data to download, which also stresses the server bandwidth, makes it impractical. On a personal level, I would never do "pay to play" other than for the game itself.

How massive does a game have to be exactly, in order to consider it an MMO? ;)

I mean, if you take an RPG mode like Zargabad life, allowed 200+ players and ran that on a NASA supercomputer, wouldn't that make Arma2 an MMO?

Demonized

The problem is details and size.

All these things can already be done in editor, but we have only so much space on one map

In regards to loading other parts of a map and such, theres an engine coming out that can do the whole world and other planets "Orbiter" style already. Check youtube too searching Outerra to see the alpha detail.

But most must of heard of Outerra by now though on a forum like this.

http://outerra.com/wfeatures.html

If it followed the World War II Online ethos and maybe developed its own way of playing, perhaps mineing and setting up a base to mine and defend for as long as you dare, generating your own allies and enemies. or even play style, like being let loose in editor with thousands of other players scattered all over a country sized map, as Outerra has that capability and far more.

Perhaps trying to develop other parts of warfare besides strictly attack and battle units. Perhaps each person base could create radio "noise" the bigger it got the stronger its signiature was to pick up by electronic warfare planes or search and jamming planes/units. You pick your role as a base builder and miner, or an attack force, or attack force for hire (PMC) maybe base hunter, the list goes on. Think of it as a giant game of Warfare as a starter point then develop it to fit the scale.

With all that space problems are created but it also gets rid of alot of others.

Theres no quieting naysayers till its fleshed out and done by a developer, but with this Outerra engine coming out being the first sign of an evolution of the idea, plus the fact WW2 OL and Planetside are merely the first of their kind and do work, why a normal evolution using perhaps Outerra couldnt or shouldnt be followed is ass-talk and typical pre/teenage close minded forum trollage.

Edited by Valiant 1-4

How is this thread?

Nice passive aggressive attitude you got there. :rolleyes:

The OP is basically asking about large scale MP in Arma3, which is quite relevant, as the Arma games do have the potential for very high player numbers and the possibility to run persistent servers.

Outerra, however, is not coming to Arma3, so I don't see the relevance.

No attitude from here, dont have the energy.

ArmA 3 isnt going to be an MMO. But i did mention an engine more suited or related to his idea, but it wouldnt be ArmA 3, its relevant to his idea and tacked on to try and be helpful, but i admit it may not meet the banal "100% on topic content only" ive seen enforced.

ArmA 3 could (at a guess) lets say double what Arrowhead could for stable playercount or if more not by much, thats not enough to run a proper MMO consistently, maybe a modified and expanded City Life??

ArmA 3 could (at a guess) lets say double what Arrowhead could for stable playercount or if more not by much, thats not enough to run a proper MMO consistently, maybe a modified and expanded City Life??

Actually I believe Lord Buchta said something about Arma3 supporting more (or at least as many?) players as OA. Not sure about double, but it would be cool.

Although "supports" isn't really the right word, since from what I understand there is no hard coded limit to the number of players that can join an Arma server. It primarily depends on the playable slots defined in the mission, and secondarily on what kind of load the server can manage.

Hence my post on the last page: if I create a persistent mission in Arma3 with several hundred player slots and run it on a server that can handle the load, does that make the game an MMO?