Sign in to follow this  
koekto

Operation Flashpoint

Excuse me, but why the game is called Operation Flashpoint ARMA? I am very familiar with long games of Bohemia, but I'm still not clear why they call their game ARMA. Sorry for such a stupid question, I just do not know.

PS well that the differences in a series of ARMA only in graphics and features, developers are still able to keep all thin and fragile peace Operation Flashpoint.

Edited by koekto

Armed = Arm

Assault = A

Arm + A = ArmA

A little history lesson:

Bohemia Interactive is the developer of Operation Flashpoint, from 2001. Codemasters was the publisher. Bohemia Interactive and Codemasters broke their relationship and Codemasters owns the name "Operation Flashpoint". Bohemia Interactive had to choose a different name because of this.

They released ArmA: Armed Assault and then ArmA II. Then, so they could sell the old OFP themselves, they renamed it ArmA: Cold War Assault.

Bohemia Interactive owns all content of the games, except the name Operation Flashpoint.

I suggest you read this to understand.

A huge thank you to all of you.

And why all the great games suffer due to abuse of developers? suffer players ((

Thank God Bohemia did not allow the suffering of their fans))

ArmA started out as a clever contraction of Armed Assault. It means 'weapon' in Latin.

Good read, I couldnt help myself with this though:

As much as Arma 2 is really the sequel to the first Arma, it is primarily the sequel to Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis

So was Arma a bit like Windows Vista then? Kind of "that one in the middle for a bit" ? :)

Excuse me, but why the game is called Operation Flashpoint ARMA? I am very familiar with long games of Bohemia, but I'm still not clear why they call their game ARMA. Sorry for such a stupid question, I just do not know.

PS well that the differences in a series of ARMA only in graphics and features, developers are still able to keep all thin and fragile peace Operation Flashpoint.

Operation Flashpoint has recently been renamed to ArmA Cold War Crisis because (I reckon) it was the only way BIS could package it up for sale in the ArmA X product. Codemasters own the name Operation Flashpoint.

I like the name Cold War Crisis, but unfortunately BIS decided to put the name ARMA: Cold War Assault instead...

I like the name Cold War Crisis, but unfortunately BIS decided to put the name ARMA: Cold War Assault instead...

My guess is they were unable to use "Cold War Crisis", so they changed it up a little. I don't really like the name "Cold War Assault" though... it doesn't make much sense.

Much cooler would have been "ArmA: Status Quo". :cool:

Much cooler would have been "ArmA: Status Quo". :cool:

+101 on this....

GXpF2xMlZyQ

Just rephrase:

you're in the army now

with

you're playing ArmA now

:yay::yay:

Armed = Arm

Assault = A

Arm + A = ArmA

If I remember correctly, ArmA is not the abbreviation for Armed Assault!

The game is called Arma: Armed Assault (or Arma: Combat Operations in North America).

That said all of BI's military games are called Arma now:

Arma: Cold War Assault

Arma: Armed Assault

Arma 2

Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead

Arma 3

Arma is Latin for weapon, if memory serves. The name is not a shortening of Armed Assault (I got chastised for this a few years back).