Sign in to follow this  
oldbear

Why *.wrp binarization is needed ?

As I was chatting with Bushlurker, this question arise.

In the excellent ArmA 2 Terrain Tutorial SgtAce provides on the BI Forums you can read in the binarizing your world part :

5: Open the BinPbo options and remove *.wrp out of the list of files to copy directly

So, I have done for a while without discussing orders like the map-mapper grunt I am. But with last tools version release, the question rises ... why ?

Why if the *.wrp file, must be removed, Bis still goes on luring us poor sinners on the way of misbehavior ?

If one of the Super Gurus around here can give me a hint or a lecture to let me see the light, it will be great.

Edited by Old Bear

um .... thats weird, I've never noticed it there before.

...... yet when you Binarize a terrain I'm 99% sure that the wrp file is changed .... ! :confused:

First off can you confirm that wrp is in the list to copy by default?

If so, the only logical explanations are that

a) it is a bug

or

b) BI uses a different pipeline that makes sure the WRP is already binarized when they run BinPBO.

Binarization improves the 8WVR file format (unbinarized) to OPRW file format (binarized) dramatically.

Benefits:

• Way faster PBO loading.
  • Potentially better performance (FPS).
  • Houses visible in the map view.
  • Other aspects I forgot.

For details see:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/BIS_File_Formats#WRP_File_Formats

whatever the answer may turn out to be, there is no way on God's earth an 8wvr is remotely useful to the engine. Unlike other 'unbinarised' formats for other file types, the wvr is almost void of information. It is, as the biki says, purely an intermediary stage for pew exports. It contains no roadnets, no town information, nada. The essence is, it contains bugger all worth mentioning (that couldn't be gleaned directly from the pew). In fact, the only useful piece is that the (unusual) pew 'column' transform matrix used to position objects is converted to the 'standard' row format, used by the engine for *everything*, including binary wrp's.

There is so much MISSING information in a wvr file that of itself and by itself, it can't be used in any practical way.

The *original* (ofp) purpose of a wvr was to divorce the binarisation process from requiring any further knowledge of the objects on the island (size, position, blah). This info is contained in the wvr. Eg you didn't have to have ALL your model.pbos in place too, export, yes, binarise, no.

As of Arma, and the very silly Land_xxx classes, these config.cpp's remain mandatory, making the purposed of the wvr redundant.

I don't use binpbo, so i can't shed any further light on the strange behaviour.

Edited by Mikero

I have the .wrp file in the folder "files copy directly"!

Dont know if its wrong or right, but the loading time of my map is extremly different because of that thing!

From 20 minutes (.wrp binarized) to 15 seconds (without .wrp binarized) and the map works without problems (at least until now)!

Are you sure it is not the other way round?

Like: 20 minutes (.wrp non binarized) to 15 seconds (.wrp binarized)

How did you determine it?

Are you sure it is not the other way round?

Like: 20 minutes (.wrp non binarized) to 15 seconds (.wrp binarized)

How did you determine it?

My mistake! I continued with my map after a long break and had the source folder of the map for binarizing not on the P:/ but placed it somewhere else!

The break was too long, have already forgotten how it all works! Thanks for the hint!

I did a fresh tools & P:\drive install & setup recently, just to test my own instructions... Before messing with the tools - I remembered to grab a copy of BinPbo's Default "List of Files to Copy Directly"... here it is...

*.pac;*.paa;*.rtm;*.sqf;*.sqs;*.bikb;*.fsm;*.wss;*.ogg;*.wav;*.fxy;*.csv;*.html;*.lip;*.txt;*.wrp;*.bisurf

So it looks like WRP is on the list by default... whereas "*.sqm" and "*.ext" aren't - which messes with intro cutscenes if you don't realise they aren't being copied over during binarization.

B

Edited by Bushlurker

yeah i wondered the same thign today xD

i deleted the .wrp and works anyways so its okay for me , but since im no ignorant im reading this to

Edited by deltaGhost

My advice make CIT tickets for both wrp in there and another one about sqm+ext missing.