Sign in to follow this  
Epic_Wink

Internet requirements

I may have a decent computer, but problems nowadays arise from my not so great internet connection: 1.3 MB/s at its peak, but we all know that that is not the case >.> Will Arma 3 be designed to support people with mediocre internet connections?

Technical:

What protocol will you guys be using? I've heard of some programs using BITS, but that's Microsoft (we don't want to use a Microsoft thing now would we?). Can we get around proxied firewalls, such as at a school? I suppose you'll be using a dynamic port system.

I just don't want any problems with Arma trying to connect to the servers.

1.3 MB/s at its peak... I envy you. I get about 500 KB/s at its peak (and that's rare), but that's Australia for you.

yeah 1.3 MB/s is fast dude...

As long as you have no lower than a standard DSL 5mbps broadband connection, then there should be no issue on your side.

1.3 MB/s at its peak... I envy you. I get about 500 KB/s at its peak (and that's rare), but that's Australia for you.

No that's Western Australia for you, I have a 100mbit cable connection on the East coast. Seems WA is going to have to wait a bit for the NBN roll out too. As for Arma net requirements, I got no clue.

No that's Western Australia for you, I have a 100mbit cable connection on the East coast. Seems WA is going to have to wait a bit for the NBN roll out too. As for Arma net requirements, I got no clue.

Yep, WA sucks! And Perth is only just the most expensive city in the world.

Yep, WA sucks! And Perth is only just the most expensive city in the world.

Move then!!

regarding the tinternet... err! :confused:

How much do you pay for that 100Mbps connection?

You have to get at least 1mbits connection if you want to play correctly on mp games (if you are the only one who use the internet at home). Should be the shame for Arma 3.

I remember that I was using a wireless Telstra connection in Australia (in Red Cliffs, near Mildura) that cost me arround 100$ (aus) per month. It was really slow.

Edited by Papanowel

Can you play multiplayer in ArmA 2 fine? How about ArmA 1? I'm sure ArmA 3 will not be much different.

If you call timing out of teamspeak every 5 minutes, desync'ing like a bitch, and losing connection to Arma to have to wait 30 seconds for it to come back then desync even more fine... then yes. Oh, Australia.

i feel bad for you Australians, id suggest working with japan to get their super fast internet but the Australian goverment would probably ruin it

It's not dial-up. ;)

How much do you pay for that 100Mbps connection?

It's a standard cable deal with a speed pack option, Optus recently upgraded their network to support DOCSIS 3.0, it costs an extra $15 for the speed pack to bring it up from 20mbit to 100mbit. Total cost about $85.

i feel bad for you Australians, id suggest working with japan to get their super fast internet but the Australian goverment would probably ruin it

The government is rolling out a fiber to the home network known as the NBN (National Broadband Network) nation wide over the next decade, mixed feelings generally as to whether it's worth it. It will deliver the same speed as what I have now but cable is only available to a small percentage of the population, the NBN aims to service 93% of the population.

To be somewhat on topic here, my connection works just fine for Arma.

Edited by Trauma.au

i shoot someone 30 times and nothing happens, then they turn around as i shoot them and they kill me. I think BIS needs to improve the netcode and also allow for everyone (not just japan, america, germany etc) with slow internet to play too.

Strange, we have had a few aussies playing over at AToW and they dont seem to have the problems reported here.

(us server btw)

DaMan.

There's too many factors to explain what can be causing your lag

1) Your bandwidth

2) Your connection speed

3) Your line quality

4) Your distance to a server

5) The hardware of the server

6) The bandwidth of the server

7) The connection speed of a server

... and so on

That's bloody good.

With crysis 2, any Aus servers I'm getting around 260 ping. So I was wondering if maybe a slower internet would only download players in a certain radius. also, my above net connection is a little off...

BTW distance to a server doesn't matter: a bit of data would travel around the world 27 times in a second, ideally. No, it's just the amount of junctions a bit of data has to go through.

Edited by Epic_Wink