Sign in to follow this  
jerryhopper

ArmA3 Interview with Ivan Buchta by nordrassilradio

Really the physx question again? Guess I was right, it hasn't been stated enough, and I was being sarcastic when I said that....

;1997835']No disrespect to BIS' date=' but I think they planned to do the bare minimum they could get away with.[/quote']

I don't think they did that with BAF, at least not malicously. I think it was more of a case of DLC was new to them and they couldn't devote OA levels of resources to an unknown product. No idea what happened with PMC though. ;)

But now that they know that DLC sells pretty damn well, hopefully they'll be able to put more resources into it.

A surprise DLC of this kind of stuff before ArmA 3 sure would be well received I bet! :)

Hell, I'll pay $10 right now for this map:

intro2.jpg

The answers to "will xyz be in the game" are a bit predictable. In future interviews I would suggest you ask somewhat more open questions.

Like..

Can you ellaborate on the new animation system? How will it be different.

Will there be improvements or changes to [sound,,controls,mission editing,modding,tech,environment...] department, and if so what?

Did you decide whether steam was the future or not?

Why should I buy arma 3?

Just my opinion of course.

A surprise DLC of this kind of stuff before ArmA 3 sure would be well received I bet! :)

intro2.jpg

So you want BIS to sell you a user modification available on these very forums for free - for $10?

No idea what happened with PMC though.

I have an idea what happened with PMC.

BIS tried to see if DLC on the level of BAF will sell and it sold. Then BIS tried to put even less content there and see if it sells - tough luck.

That's how business work. Work less to get more profits.

That's why the terrible concept of DLCs instead of proper expansions is there.

Edited by metalcraze

Did you decide whether steam was the future or not?

This made me laugh my arse off, if there's a future for Arma then it does not stand with steam....

Finished listening - thank you very much, Ivan, for your answers! And also Brigsill and nordrassilradio! It was fun to hear!

So you want BIS to sell you a user modification available on these very forums for free - for $10?

I have an idea what happened with PMC.

BIS tried to see if DLC on the level of BAF will sell and it sold. Then BIS tried to put even less content there and see if it sells - tough luck.

That's how business work. Work less to get more profits.

That's why the terrible concept of DLCs instead of proper expansions is there.

some you failed to realized that DLC also paid new engine features You all got for free

also BAF had quite lot of content for the price compared to usual DLC

before You go rambling how Project Reality models look better be advised that Project Reality had obtained rights from us to use our 'low quality' models probably due to theirs 'low quality' :)

we consider our DLC to be more expansions than usual DLC

(not our fault that the DLC is just industry wide accepted abbrev now) ...

also You failed to understood that what he want's to pay is completely new major sized terrain and Czech army units DLC :)

(which all in all would be more stuff than BAF has)

and then PMC was aim on providing some story telling SP with some engine feature challenges (hint you get them again for free in patch)

now You also getting the content in Lite form so it don't break gameplay

so all in all the DLC is not forced upon You ...

i don't get the argument about DLC vs Expansion because the studio needs live from something and you can't go forever w/o making some profit

so You have just no idea , it's like the complaining about ARMA 2: OA

(being announced too early, omg it's standalone etc. w/o even realizing the timeframe was same for CWC vs Resistance and the separation (engine level) too) ...

or maybe just complaining for the sake of complaining ?

anyway i think DLC discussion degrades this thread and if you have more complains about it dig the thread used for DLCs

also BAF had quite lot of content for the price compared to usual DLC

Dwarden I actually am ok with what BAF did after all (several choppers, several weapons, APC, nice looking soldiers and 8 hours of gameplay with new missions).

The only real problem with it is that Shapur... well it's just way too small and you (as in BIS) could've easily filled that one empty square kilometer with some stuff.

Well that and maybe the lack of Chally (yes I know it's about airborne but still).

It actually did feel like a steal for 6 bucks on NY sale and 10 bucks are a fair price too.

PMC however was the problem in itself. ArmA2 already had XM8s and PMC ones only had a few OA scopes added to them. SUV was there in OA and PMC's one just basically had a gatling gun added on top of it. And a single chopper plus a strange UAV. And an empty map with the same tree copy pasted all over it.

After BAF it was a letdown - surely you understand.

Why I prefer expansions more - well I'm a customer. I just want more, but I will also pay more for more.

Full expansions last longer (like there's not much you can do with Shapur) and as a customer - it's important for me.

Edited by metalcraze

well Shapur would be then scrapped map if not used ...

and i fully agree it could be bigger (some more building complexes)

(or use some sort of 'infinite' vegetation beyond the boundary)

the PMC reused many assets but primary aiming on the video technology, story telling features and the shotgun balistic ...

the map for PMC was used for some technology experimentations and optimizing which is in engine now ...

again same as Shapur it would be nice the map is bigger (double) plus accompanied with vegetation beyond the edges ...

we definitely read the feedback and evaluate the map size for DLCs or item/vehicles count in future ...

You also need to realize the size of the team and time for these DLCs ...

so imo if you consider it from multiple views these DLCs weren't not bad nor not enough

but i agree there could be bit more content done to be 'more fullfilling'

again You must understood the company learns from the feedback too

Edited by Dwarden

Yeah I understand. DLCs like BAF+some more stuff can be a good financial solution I guess. If you will also do full expansions ;)

Is it possible that you could do a high quality simulation for a vehicle, then sell it as DLC? For example make a high quality simulated A-10C, and sell it for like $X. Then do this for a variety of vehicles. Ugh, trying to think how to explain my idea... Cause there is more to it then that...

Say on server Arm they have high quality simulated vehicles enable. This would mean that players with and without the high quality vehicle DLC could join it, but only players who paid for the DLC can use the simulated vehicles. So lets say you made the DLC for the apache, the black hawk, the m1a2, the A-10C, the Ka-50, and the MI-8. Player Joe who has bought none of the DLC can play on that server as normal, but would not be able to use these vehicles. While player James who bought all of these vehicles will be able to use all of these vehicles. And player Bob who bought the MI-8, and black hawk, can only use those two vehicles. Basically this would allow highly simulated vehicles in game to players who want it. You would not need to pay for all of the vehicle DLC's to host a server with this feature enable, but (as stated before) ONLY players who have paid for it may use the vehicles. I think this could work, and that many would pay for the DLC's. I know I would pay for almost every single vehicle. Especially the apache and A-10... Also if server Arm decides to load a mission without this feature enable, then the default arma 3 would be used.

EDIT: Players who do not pay for the DLC could still use the gunner seat (depending on vehicle), and still use passenger seats.

PLEASE could you at least give this idea some thought :D

Edited by 5LEvEN

The only real problem with it is that Shapur... well it's just way too small and you (as in BIS) could've easily filled that one empty square kilometer with some stuff.
Use the town generator module?

intro2.jpg

also You failed to understood that what he want's to pay is completely new major sized terrain and Czech army units DLC :)

(which all in all would be more stuff than BAF has)

Hey, does that confirm that what you describe is what you (BI) really have in the making for us, Dwarden?? :) :)

Cause kylania didn't mention that he wants a new terrain and Czech army units, he just pointed at two screenshots. :) ( :yay: )

i can't confirm or deny any non-anounced title or product ;)

(well the vehicle is Czech tatra and i know you guys speculating all the time about Czech DLC, You know i read the forums too :)

So you mean that this map is still considered to be released one day? That would be awesome

Shame, no controlable submarines

:(

ehhhh. you are asking to much.