Sign in to follow this  
Storm_Chaser

Geforce4

No problems what so ever. Using the latest beta drivers 29.40 and I haven't had any problems in any newer games. Some older ones, but its a xp thing as well.

Nice thing about GF4 is that you basically get FSAA for free. OFP is a cpu limited game so image quality is nice aniso filtering and Qunix AA and no slowdown. OFP also has some nice shader effects at night where the whole world turns a muted grey, kinda like RL so you get extra effects as well.

COLINMAN

What sort of new effects? Sorry if i'm being abit picky...

i got gf4 ofp crashed after 20seconds in game detnators, i installed ones that came with gf4 and it worked perfectly. I m on win 98 but it worked in all other games was just ofp.

Sorry, this post doesnt belong here, but I am going to post it anyways as u guys r talking of geforce 4.

I got 1 2day but the problem is that when the computer starts the color are not ok: the red spots are black. Its not my monitor and I have no idea whats going on. Ty

whatever you do, do NOT, I repeat NOT get a Geforce4 MX, if anything get a Geforce4 Ti model. They aren't even based in the same chipset! The MX is actually an uber-souped-up Geforce2!! It's not even DirectX 8 compliant tounge.gif. And that's the reason it is much cheaper. I almost got a Geforce, but after doing my homework and finding this out, I was so pissed with Nividia's deceit I got a Radeon instead tounge.gif

A friend of mine bought a GF4MX440 64MB and OFP works great on his computer.

His computer: P-IV 1.7, 512 sdram , GF4MX440

My computer: P-IV 1.8, 512 rdram, GF3

He almost have the same performance in OFP as I have.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (General_lee45 @ June 02 2002,13:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i have to disagree with that post. I have a Geforce 4 MX 220 with 128 ram and I can run the game great.<span id='postcolor'>

i ca nrun the game great now but not with the detnator drivers i had maybee a new verson will work but my current drivers r good so i wont touch em.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (General_lee45 @ June 02 2002,01:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i have to disagree with that post. I have a Geforce 4 MX 220 with 128 ram and I can run the game great.<span id='postcolor'>

It might run great, but the game will also run just fine on a TNT2 if you turn down the details. The fact is that the Geforce 4 MX 220 is just a Geforce 2 MX in disguise. You can't agree or disagree - it's a fact - not an opinion.

Operation Flashpoint doesnt even support Geforce 4, so you probably wont see not diffrents, and your best bet is a Geforce 3. smile.gif

"Doesn't support" is a poor choice of words -- I would prefer "Doesn't take advantage of".

OFP certainly works fine on the GF4 cards, even if it doesn't use the advanced features of the non-MX GF4 cards.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mads bahrt @ June 02 2002,01:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It might run great, but the game will also run just fine on a TNT2 if you turn down the details. The fact is that the Geforce 4 MX 220 is just a Geforce 2 MX in disguise. You can't agree or disagree - it's a fact - not an opinion.<span id='postcolor'>

My point exactly. For about the same price you can get a Radeon 7500 with 64mb DDR Ram, which is actually optimized for Direct X8 and not Direct X7 like the Geforce4 MX tounge.gif. Btw the game looks infinitely better on it than it did on a friend's Geforce2

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"Doesn't support" is a poor choice of words -- I would prefer "Doesn't take advantage of".<span id='postcolor'>

Sounds alittle better. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKULLS_Viper @ June 01 2002,18:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Operation Flashpoint doesnt even support Geforce 4, so you probably wont see not diffrents, and your best bet is a Geforce 3. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Actually it does in a very limited way support GF3/4 cards. If you have a card that uses dx8 (vertex/pixel shaders) then night time is portrayed differently. On a dx7 card like my old GF2mx then night is just darker, but everything is still has colour. On my new GF4ti4400 when it's night the world is very black and white simulating the effect that at night your eyes don't pick up colour (something to do with the rods and cones, not going to look it up right now). There is a little colour in objects that are hit with bright light, but the world is very black and white. It's a really nice effect. Now all they have to do is have light wreck your night vision so when a bunch of guys are standing around the fire they shouldn't be able to see 5 feet past what is illuminated by the fire.

COLINMAN

Resistance will probably support Geforce 4, so youll get full benifet of the card.But now, Geforce 3 will give YOU the most benifiet, except Geforce 4 will probably give you better frame rates.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't buy new hardware that will be too slow to run upcoming software. In benchmarks using the new Unreal engine, the Geforce4MX is left in the dust while the Geforce4 Ti4200 does quite well. You can get a Ti4200 for $185, and it has been proven to be able to overclock to the Ti4400 speed. The Geforce4 Ti4200 wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for ATI releasing a $200 DirectX 8 compliant video card, so NVIDIA came up with the Ti4200 to outdo ATI. The Ti4200 outperforms the Geforce4MX by a longshot, plus the Ti4200 will be able to run future games just fine for awhile.

Unless you want to barely be able to run future games, the Geforce4 Ti4200 is a very good investment.

I guess ATI sorta threw a wrench into Nvidia's plans. I don't think they were antisipating a cheap Dx8 part and for the value range a GF4mx isn't to bad. It's faster than a GF2ultra, the part that it replaced. If you aren't a gamer it's a decent cheap part. Also it's the same chip as their mobile one. Don't know why ATI and Nvidia haven't made a mobile dx8 chip. Do they draw more power? I know my GF4 needs a larger psu than what's in a lot of boxes. First graphics card I've seen with the requirement for a 300w psu on the box.

COLINMAN

Dont buy Creative Blaster 4 Ti 4400. Thats what I have and it works with OFP 1.30 but not OFP 1.49, that is really weird but thats the way it is. Im gonna try and istall 1.49 again and it will probably stop working again so I have to format C: again cuz reinstalling OFP after installing 1.49 doesnt work. The graphics look weird on the thing that pops up when U put the CD in the CD-ROM. This is weird because the graphics look good ingame but not there. After installing 1.49 the game will freeze within 10 secs. Dont get Creative Blaster 4 Ti 4400.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (InqWiper @ June 02 2002,16:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Dont buy Creative Blaster 4 Ti 4400. Thats what I have and it works with OFP 1.30 but not OFP 1.49, that is really weird but thats the way it is. Im gonna try and istall 1.49 again and it will probably stop working again so I have to format C: again cuz reinstalling OFP after installing 1.49 doesnt work. The graphics look weird on the thing that pops up when U put the CD in the CD-ROM. This is weird because the graphics look good ingame but not there. After installing 1.49 the game will freeze within 10 secs. Dont get Creative Blaster 4 Ti 4400.<span id='postcolor'>

I doubt that it is the card itself, more likely the driver.

I've seen the lockup problem you mentioned with my GeForce3 Ti200 when the pre-render limit was set to zero -- the game would lock up within a few seconds just sitting at the Main Menu, and my system also could not complete the DXDIAG video tests. That pre-render limit used to work with earlier versions of the Detonator drivers, and reduced mouse lag in the game to a minimum, but I think starting with V27.xx of the Detonator drivers, it started causing problems.

Also, if you have a CD burner (who doesn't these days?), why don't you copy the entire OFP directory structure to a CD before you upgrade to a new version or apply a patch? That way, if you need to go back to an earlier version, you can just drag the OFP folder and everything below it back to your hard drive. It's $0.25 well spent...

Well I've already ordered a GeForce 4 Ti 4400, which I fully intend on overclocking to Ti 4600-levels, and I wanted to see if anyone here could tell me what kind of performance boost to expect.  

My current rig:

Athlon T-bird 1.2Ghz

512 MB PC133 SDRAM

GeForce 2 GTS Pro 64 MB DDR

My framerates in OFP are pretty good for the most part (around 40-50 fps in small areas, gets down to 15-20 in bigger battles), but I have to cut down a little on the graphical detail.  I was curious to know if I'd see a dramatic improvement in framerates (far and away the most important aspect, IMO, graphical bells and whistles, while nice, are not really of concern to me) and draw distance capability (I want to run this puppy with a draw distance of 4000, so I can have massive battles where you can see enemy tanks approaching from miles away).  

So has anyone else made a similar upgrade?  Is it > 60 fps all the time?

Honestly o/c the card would not do much in RL performance. Most benchmarks I've seen of o/c cards adds maybe 2-4fps at most, usually less. Myself I'm holding off o/c until I have to. Why reck your warrenty on the first day. In the future when dx8 games are out maybe o/c will show more as the full pipeline is used, but for now I'd rather have my warrenty.

edit...as for performance in OFP, don't expect too much of a boost from the card. The game if anything is cpu limited. I've found that I get FSAA for free when playing, but big battles still slow things down. Have to wait for next generation games that really use the card to really see some gains.

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I doubt that it is the card itself, more likely the driver.

I've seen the lockup problem you mentioned with my GeForce3 Ti200 when the pre-render limit was set to zero -- the game would lock up within a few seconds just sitting at the Main Menu, and my system also could not complete the DXDIAG video tests. That pre-render limit used to work with earlier versions of the Detonator drivers, and reduced mouse lag in the game to a minimum, but I think starting with V27.xx of the Detonator drivers, it started causing problems.

Also, if you have a CD burner (who doesn't these days?), why don't you copy the entire OFP directory structure to a CD before you upgrade to a new version or apply a patch? That way, if you need to go back to an earlier version, you can just drag the OFP folder and everything below it back to your hard drive. It's $0.25 well spent...

<span id='postcolor'>

I posted this problem earlier and was adviced to try to run DXDIAG and see what was wrong. There was no problem running any of the tests. I dont have a CD burner but Im probably gonna get one soon. Im gonna try and install 1.49 tomorrow again and if it doesnt work Im gonna stick to 1.30 on that computer til resistance comes and maybe I dont have the same problem. One time when OFP froze some code appeared on the screen, weird...