Sign in to follow this  
[evo] dan

bulldozer error with objects on a 200km map

I have made me a map in visitor that is roughly 204km by 204km. It boots up in bulldozer fine without any objects on the map, however, as soon as i add roads, and then try boot it up in bulldozer, i get an error saying:

{error}LandGrid reference exceeded the range [1023, 1023], it is [2780, 2509]

and then bulldozer exits.

how do i get around this or is there no way of doing it at all?

Do I need a bigger cell size to fix this perhaps?

Edited by [EVO] Dan

Making the grid much bigger (200 instead of the original 50) seems to fix the error that I was getting, and it doesn't look too bad in buldozer, going to have a look in arma2 as soon as I can, mind you i am using just sand all the way across the map.

I have the exactly same problem with different setting. I have 2 png pictures of an island, one with 2048pixels, 1 with 1024.

Now i start a new project in visitor, TerrainGridSize=2048, CellSize=10m, I import Terrain from picture, I start bulldozer - everything is fine. But as soon as i place an object, bulldozer crashes with the same error like the OP.

I played a bit around: When I place objects on the West side of the terrain, there is no error. I can fill 50% of the island with objects, but i cant place objects on the Eastern half.

When i make a new project with TerrainGridSize=1024 and CellSize=20 and import the 1024 PNG, everything works.

But I want 10m Cell Size and 2048 pixels! I have a detailed png-map and many details are lost with the 1024 png and cell size 20.

Edited by #momo#

terrain hightmap.png or sat_lco.png ?

thats weird im using the exact same size i have a 2048x2048 hightmap cellsize 10

and a 20480x20480 sat_lco.png and it all works just fine altough i tried doing it like 4096x4096 hightmap with a cellsize of 5 wich would have the same dimension with higher ground detail but gives problems in visitor3 but its not impossible u would have to place all building etc on the 2048 cell10 terrain and export it later on to the 4096 cell 5 terrain if u realy want to but such a terrain is a fps killer.

ok the problem seems solved thx to hotzenplotz who helped me.

Im not sure: It was the png size (VTBuilder always makes 2049 pixels instead of 2048, but this was no problem with 1025-png) OR I had to put a placeholder sat-map in order to place buildings and start bulldozer. No idea what the sat-map has to do with the terrain grid thought.

Anyway after making a placeholder sat-map AND changing the png to 2048 pixel everything works.

Im sorry for bothering the pros here again. But i now can say 100% what the problem was. It was not the png size and not the sat mask.

I had to go to project preferences, then go to the box "texture layers", select "base (active)" and edit it. Visitor presets "texture size" with 10*10 meteter. This seems to give errors with bigger maps when setting objects. With 20*20 meters, everything is fine.

It can also cause "flickering" and occasional "invisibility" of square areas on distant hills, etc if you set the Base texture layer too low.

Though he doesn't explain why, Sgt Ace's Tutorial does mention setting that value to 40x40m...

You'll find that only certain values are "valid" - depending on the size of your map... I've found that selecting a value at least 4x your cell size seems to avoid most wierdnesses... This often happens to be the highest valid value anyway...

So - on the usual 10m cell size - 40x40m works best...

On my recent little 5m cellsize maps I've used 20x20m (the highest "valid" value)...

Don't ask me why though - I'm not really 100% sure about the whole thing myself... For example - you can define more than one texture layer! Question is - why would you want to? Do BIS do that? I dunno...

I'm still learning too ;)

B

Edited by Bushlurker