Sign in to follow this  
-=seany=-

Add FXAA support to OA and Arma3- Many AA bugs fixed

Is it possible to dis/enable all effects on the fly or only some?

And could they be separated to single keys technically?

Yes, you can disable ALL EFFECTS at once ! Or EDIT all or some ,or one :-) Setting on each Shader (AA,BLOOM,SHARPENING,SEPIA etc etc)

And it will be separated on keys yes ...but will take a while :cool:

Awesome :bounce3:

Love it. The people at the threads at 3dcenter forums made a excellent job. Very easy to use & to tweak with this single config file. FXAA alone is pretty amazing, but in addition with pre and post sharpening the results are outstanding. Reminds me of "HD texture mods" or something like that in other games. Ground textures in general and distant textures does look very blurred in arma in my opinion, but with this sharpening its all forgiven :D

ArmA graphic settings, used in all screenshots

FXAA & sharpening | unmodified

Dont look only at the anti-aliasing effect, see also how nice the textures are sharpened. View screenshots in 100% (not resize) or its hard to see the difference.

arma2oa2011081606573004.th.png | arma2oa2011081606572341.th.png

arma2oa2011081606420333.th.png | arma2oa2011081606413433.th.png

arma2oa2011081607195577.th.png | arma2oa2011081607194923.th.png

arma2oa2011081607170962.th.png | arma2oa2011081607170278.th.png

arma2oa2011081607384390.th.png | arma2oa2011081607383715.th.png

screenshot496275.th.png | screenshot495953.th.png

screenshot446594.th.png | screenshot445463.th.png

fxaa IMAGE | unmodified IMAGE

Only FXAA and pre and post sharpening has been used in this screenshots.

Settings in injFX_Settings.h

Pretty much unchanged from default. Only FXAA and pre/post sharpening enabled. More smooth FXAA values and a decreased post sharpening value (was a little bit to much sharpening by default).

#define USE_ANTI_ALIASING

#define USE_PRE_SHARPEN

//#define USE_BLOOM

//#define USE_TECHNICOLOR

//#define USE_TONEMAP

//#define USE_SEPIA

//#define USE_VIGNETTE

#define USE_POST_SHARPEN

//#define USE_FINAL_LIMITER

float fxaaQualitySubpix = 1.00; // Default: 0.75 Raise to increase amount of blur

float fxaaQualityEdgeThreshold = 0.100; // Lower the value for more smoothing

float fxaaQualityEdgeThresholdMin = 0.0500; // Lower the value for more smoothing

float Sharpen = 0.02;

Discussion/developement threads & download

- FXAA thread (dll file, etc)

- FXAA & postprocessing effects thread

- Download link (from FXAA & postprocessing effects thread)

Bloom looks good, but didnt try it much yet. Technicolor looks interesting but similiar results should be possible already with ingame color filtering provided by arma. But since arma color filtering is mission side changeable and not available from the graphics menu its a way to go (technicolor as postprocessing effect and/or tonemap). Vignette is also interesting. Iam not sure what final limiter does, if i understand the shader code correctly it does look for the color range used in the image and does limit it to a specified value. Didnt try it enough yet.

EOOQE following all your blog posts and screenshots, great results!

By the way, do you change somehow or recode the shaders to make them work different for ArmA or are you finetuning the config values to find the best match for ArmA?

Edited by Ginger McAle

By the way, do you change somehow or recode the shaders to make them work different for ArmA or are you finetuning the config values to find the best match for ArmA?

Nice Screenshost !!

And Yes, i recode the sharpening and the FXAA to give better results in ARMA2. As you sure know, there are still lot of problems with small objects and antenas or power lines :mad: :D

ATM i try to get FXAA in ARMA2 to look like an normal 1,5xAA with more smoothing the edges and some filters.

Try yourself to raise the sharpening and see what happend ... you get more sharpening in arma2 but also some "white" corona around power lines as example.

I hope to get an first version of my tweaked A2FXAA Shaders ready by the end of the week . :eek:

Love it. The people at the threads at 3dcenter forums made a excellent job. Very easy to use & to tweak with this single config file. FXAA alone is pretty amazing, but in addition with pre and post sharpening the results are outstanding. Reminds me of "HD texture mods" or something like that in other games. Ground textures in general and distant textures does look very blurred in arma in my opinion, but with this sharpening its all forgiven :D

ArmA graphic settings, used in all screenshots

Only FXAA and pre and post sharpening has been used in this screenshots.

Settings in injFX_Settings.h

Pretty much unchanged from default. Only FXAA and pre/post sharpening enabled. More smooth FXAA values and a decreased post sharpening value (was a little bit to much sharpening by default).

Discussion/developement threads & download

- FXAA thread (dll file, etc)

- FXAA & postprocessing effects thread

- Download link (from FXAA & postprocessing effects thread)

Bloom looks good, but didnt try it much yet. Technicolor looks interesting but similiar results should be possible already with ingame color filtering provided by arma. But since arma color filtering is mission side changeable and not available from the graphics menu its a way to go (technicolor as postprocessing effect and/or tonemap). Vignette is also interesting. Iam not sure what final limiter does, if i understand the shader code correctly it does look for the color range used in the image and does limit it to a specified value. Didnt try it enough yet.

Just tried this one, and it still results in wonky LOD's for my ATI card.

Just tried this one, and it still results in wonky LOD's for my ATI card.

May you post some screenshots ?

And try this settings :

0.75, //fxaaQualitySubpix (default: 0.75)

0.166, //fxaaQualityEdgeThreshold

0.00745, //fxaaQualityEdgeThresholdMin

cant test my shaders for ATI sorry :(

I get an error message that tells me I don't have the file D3DX9_43.dll, and the game doesn't start.

I run a gaming laptop (MSI GT680-035UK) and it runs ArmA:OA very sweetly indeed, better than my similarly specced desktop in fact. Probably because it's all I use it for. I'm reluctant to unnecessarily fart around with it, but has anyone else ever had this message? Why would a new laptop running Win7 64 bit give out this message?

Have you checked whether that DLL is actually present or not?

Actually no I didn't, I just accepted the OS message that it couldn't be found :)

I did place a d3dx9_43.dll file manually into the game folder but nothing happened, no game startup or anything. I'm guessing that the best course of action to solve this is to install the latest DirectX drivers, but as the laptop runs ArmA2 very sweetly indeed I'm reluctant to potentially muck it up with unoptimised drivers to solve a problem that is beneficially minor.

May you post some screenshots ?

And try this settings :

cant test my shaders for ATI sorry :(

Yep, I'll post some screens and then try those settings later today.

If you're unable to test on AMD hardware, I'm more than happy to be a guinea pig till you're able to get it right. :)

I've got to say, this tweak is farking awesome. Minimal performance hit, mad results. Reeks of the awesomeness of DxDll back in the day...

Well done to all those who have touched this.

I get an error message that tells me I don't have the file D3DX9_43.dll, and the game doesn't start.

I run a gaming laptop (MSI GT680-035UK) and it runs ArmA:OA very sweetly indeed, better than my similarly specced desktop in fact. Probably because it's all I use it for. I'm reluctant to unnecessarily fart around with it, but has anyone else ever had this message? Why would a new laptop running Win7 64 bit give out this message?

I know this Error , as im on an ASUS G73sw Gaming Laptop :D

Reinstall DX from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

or just put the D3DX9_43.dll into Windows/system32

that should help ;)

Yep, I'll post some screens and then try those settings later today.

If you're unable to test on AMD hardware, I'm more than happy to be a guinea pig till you're able to get it right. :)

Woops, never got to this today. I'll try to post results and screenies in the morning.

Woops, never got to this today. I'll try to post results and screenies in the morning.

:yay: No Problem , take your time ... i hope to release my new shaders also tomorrow :eek: :cool:

Right, I updated my DirectX, changed my TrackIR centre key from Pause and now the A2FXAA works as intended :)

Took me a little while to appreciate the differences, but once I'd sorted out some ingame video settings I found that it is indeed an improvement. I've even managed to re-enable my ATOC to get fuller trees & vegetation, and I like the colour treatment. The increased contrast really brings the colours out, and improves sky detail.

And, I REALLY appreciate the fact that I no longer get white fringing when objects occlude my lovely smoke effects :) it makes a real difference.

Looking forward to the next version.

Btw any chance to disable the screenshot functionality please. :bounce3:

Doesnt seem to work for me and im having trouble finding any solutions atm as no error messages pop-up.

Before posting here i went ahead and updated my GFX drivers to the latest (using an Nvidia GTX570) as well as Directx (stated that i need not update/install due to current or newer version).

As soon as i start up Arma, the boxes with the ticks appears; finishes and the screen flickers black for a moment... then back to desktop with no error (nor is arma2oa.exe still a running proccess in task manager).

Any ideas?

EDIT:

Using the newest version 0.22b - havent used any previous versions

Edited by rscarrab
stated version

Doesnt seem to work for me and im having trouble finding any solutions atm as no error messages pop-up.

Before posting here i went ahead and updated my GFX drivers to the latest (using an Nvidia GTX570) as well as Directx (stated that i need not update/install due to current or newer version).

As soon as i start up Arma, the boxes with the ticks appears; finishes and the screen flickers black for a moment... then back to desktop with no error (nor is arma2oa.exe still a running proccess in task manager).

Any ideas?

EDIT:

Using the newest version 0.22b - havent used any previous versions

Hi,

FXAA creates a logfile called log.txt in the ARMA2 main Dir.

Can you pls post it´s content ?

And , are you running BETA ARMA2 ? is the d3d9.dll present in ARMA2 Dir. and Expansion/Beta Dir. ?

EDIT: MY FAULT !!! GOT AN TYPE ERROR IN ONE SHADER . lol :eek: :butbut:

pls download fixed version : http://www.file-upload.net/download-3672876/A2FXAA_V0.22b.rar.html

Sorry ... Blog also updated with fixed link :cool:

Edited by EOOQE

Thankyou very much for the hasty reply EOOQE.

No im not using the beta, though for piece of mind i did infact place the .dll file in there.

I checked my .rpt straight away but had a feeling that it wouldnt help me much in this case. :rolleyes:

So yeah, heres the contents of the log file!

redirecting CreateDevice

D3DXCreateEffectFromFile failed

A2FXAA\Sepia.h(4,10): error X1507: failed to open source file: 'injFX_Shaders\ColorTones.h'

EDIT:

and yes, the .dll file is present in both directories. Root and expansion/beta.

Edited by rscarrab
spelling

Thankyou very much for the hasty reply EOOQE.

No im not using the beta, though for piece of mind i did infact place the .dll file in there.

I checked my .rpt straight away but had a feeling that it wouldnt help me much in this case. :rolleyes:

So yeah, heres the contents of the log file!

EDIT:

and yes, the .dll file is present in both directories. Root and expansion/beta.

MY FAULT !!! GOT AN TYPE ERROR IN ONE SHADER . lol :eek: :butbut:

pls download fixed version : http://www.file-upload.net/download-3672876/A2FXAA_V0.22b.rar.html

Sorry ... Blog also updated with fixed link :cool:

Hehe, no problem. Glad i could be of inadvertent assistance. ;)

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Wow, im really impressed. Thanks for this. :)

Hehe, no problem. Glad i could be of inadvertent assistance. ;)

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Wow, im really impressed. Thanks for this. :)

Seems to work for you ;) Fine :yay:

Maybe you can post some Screenshots later ? I just want see the differences in dif. GFX Cards and how the react to FXAA ... THX´s

Yeah sure no problem, its the least i can do. :)

Im uploading them to photobucket atm, i do hope they appear as thumbnails when i post them.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

Nvidia GTX 570, driver version 280.26

Screenshots:

OFF

Screenshot12073off.png

ON

Screenshot12160on.png

OFF

Screenshot13102off.png

ON

Screenshot13146on.png

OFF

Screenshot18899off.png