Sign in to follow this  
BF2_Trooper

Improvements to third person view?

Does third person view need to be improved in some way or remain as it is?

I for one think we need a more funtional third person view where one can actually aim at something. Wouldnt mind if third person ressembled actual third person shooter games like Splinter Cell.

Does third person view need to be improved in some way or remain as it is?

I for one think we need a more funtional third person view where one can actually aim at something. Wouldnt mind if third person ressembled actual third person shooter games like Splinter Cell.

The zoom out buttons could use some work sometimes they work sometimes i dont i dunno if thats intentional or not.

To explain this please look at the picture I have drawn.

28ujpk1.jpg

The blue line represents your viewing angle. The red line represents the trajectory of the bullet. Basically your aim is off because of perpesctive... I hope that makes sense :)

I don't think it was ever really intended to have serious play done in third person... Besides a lot of servers turn it off entirely.

The only problem I have is with actions (and trying to place my cursor directly over the object). Then again that's more of a problem with needing to accurately do so for actions to appear than a camera problem; the 3rd person camera just exacerbates it.

It won't be possible to aim and pop heads in third person in ArmA unless BIS will turn it into a faceless TPS where crosshairs shoot instead of weapons.

ArmA was always a first person game. Third person is there so you can look at how awesome the weapon downloaded from Armaholic looks in hands of your soldier from the side.

In fact crosshair is nothing more but a learning tool before you start playing the game properly - and you want the ability to magically look behind walls

Third person does need to be fixed - of course using it should make you near worthless aiming wise, but far too often third person constricts your view to a useless angle. Mortars being the prime example.

It won't be possible to aim and pop heads in third person in ArmA unless BIS will turn it into a faceless TPS where crosshairs shoot instead of weapons.

ArmA was always a first person game. Third person is there so you can look at how awesome the weapon downloaded from Armaholic looks in hands of your soldier from the side.

In fact crosshair is nothing more but a learning tool before you start playing the game properly - and you want the ability to magically look behind walls

i dont see why they couldnt just adjust the crosshair when in third person...

Never had a problem with third person view. As long as I can see my unit, Then I'm good with it...

I won't start discussing the part about ArmA always being a first person game, because there is nothing to even disagree on to start with.

Third person views give you a much better sense of awareness in comparison to first person. I'm sure the logical thing here is to say 'Sure you can see directly over that wall at the enemy just waiting for you', and yes, if one could magically make that NOT happen, it would be great. However, first person view limits you in many ways, and to just mention one there is peripheral view. Thus far the only thing peripheral about the first person view in the arma series is the white, red and green dots.

It's simple really.

Wait I dont understand the problem with 3rd person... You aim. You shoot.. It hits what your pointing at. Whats wrong with that?

The only problem I have is with actions (and trying to place my cursor directly over the object). Then again that's more of a problem with needing to accurately do so for actions to appear than a camera problem; the 3rd person camera just exacerbates it.

I agree, getting action menus up can be a pain in the ass and usualy I will just switch to FP view to make life easier.

I don't find any problem aiming with third person at all, the crosshairs line up fine for me. If you are on a difficulty that deosn't allow crosshairs then use space bar to bring up the spot reticule, it will come up even if space bar spotting is disabled as it only turns off the spotting and distance reading.

I find this handy to get my bearings some time with my TrackIR and it is very handy for CQC battles where fine accurucy isnt as important as getting a hit in quickly.

I don't think third person needs to be fixed at all. If your playing in 3rd person then...

Third person is kind of like the third person of battlefield, you can use it in combat but it's mostly there as a cinematic sort of thing, also it would offer FAAAR too much of an advantage in multiplayer for servers that have it on (And we all know how people act when they find any form of advantage) so I doubt BI will do anything about it.

Edited by NodUnit

I won't start discussing the part about ArmA always being a first person game, because there is nothing to even disagree on to start with.

Third person views give you a much better sense of awareness in comparison to first person. I'm sure the logical thing here is to say 'Sure you can see directly over that wall at the enemy just waiting for you', and yes, if one could magically make that NOT happen, it would be great. However, first person view limits you in many ways, and to just mention one there is peripheral view. Thus far the only thing peripheral about the first person view in the arma series is the white, red and green dots.

It's simple really.

Not quite, you can get the peripheral view on 3 monitors if you feel there is no awareness in 1st.

Anyways, 3rd person is just for the looks, very few ppl are actually using it for gaming. This is not a 3rd person action shooter in the end, so i am not sure why there needs to be improvements in this area.

Anyways, 3rd person is just for the looks, very few ppl are actually using it for gaming. This is not a 3rd person action shooter in the end, so i am not sure why there needs to be improvements in this area.

Have to agree with Pufu on this one.

Have to agree with Pufu on this one.

Whearas I would't. I have three monitors and you still have more awareness in third person.

I still prefer the third person veiwpoint and the extra aesthetics it brings.

1. i was talking about 1 monitor 3rd person vs 1st 3 monitos. You obviously have more awareness in 3rd on 3 monitors, but that is besides the point

2. what extra aesthetics?

3. you obviously can see around the cornest, above walls, above grass when prone, you know the sort of things that obviously is impossible to do in 1st = awareness. Again, besides the point

1. i was talking about 1 monitor 3rd person vs 1st 3 monitos. You obviously have more awareness in 3rd on 3 monitors, but that is besides the point

2. what extra aesthetics?

3. you obviously can see around the cornest, above walls, above grass when prone, you know the sort of things that obviously is impossible to do in 1st = awareness. Again, besides the point

I also have the ability to see over 180 degrees like a real human being, but that is also besides the point. :P

Extra aesthetics: Getting to see the hard work the mod creator put into their vehicle/unit model for example, or even a better perspective of the detail a map creator has put into his/her work.

Those are the aesthetics I enjoy, I appreciate the work of the mod creators and in fact the authors of BIS own models as well.

Ah yes. The eternal first/third person wars, similar to the eternal crosshaie/no crosshair wars :)

If you like it, use it, if you don't, don't. Simple as.

I use it because I like the sense of awareness that playing through a monitor removes. I mostly play in 1st person, but if I'm prone behind a wall with a tank looking for me, I use thrird person because IMO IRL I would have more awareness as to the position of the tank.

Anyway.

I think the third person aimpoint is already OK, seems to be calibrated at a roughly appropriate distance, and in any case it's exactly the same procudure to go to scoped/iron sights as it is in first person.

Worst argument ever. If you play like that, you'll find yourself playing alone. I do. I can't find any public servers out there with some decent difficulty options. Not being able to turn off those horrid crosshairs truly sucks. Every tried laser aiming (not using aimpoints, only lasers, like irl) with those blocking?

Use your ears to get a pointer to the tanks position. Not really that hard. 3rd person also allows you to see direction of turret without exposing yourself. Even a worse cheat now that AI don't have 360° vision anymore. Luckily we can force it off in missions.

It's really great having people tell how you should play the game. Makes my day every time someone feels they need to dictate how to have fun.

Soon as there's a peep feature, where I can quickly peek, or *slightly* raise my head, or any number of fine movements that allows me to see over & around stuff, then, maybe, I'll switch 3rd person off. Or maybe I won't :)

Edited by DMarkwick