First Public Release (7/31/11)

By M.Phillips aka Absolution

Updated 7/31/11

Features:

-Flight Deck capable of handling multiple helicopters/VTOLs

-3 storage decks appropriate for vehicles and personnel

-Flooded Well Deck for boats and amphibious vehicles

Description:

I am a member of the 15thMEU(SOC) realism unit and I developed this addon to facilitate amphibious operations. For about a year this has been available to the 15thMEU as a private addon but I think it's time to share it with the community. This is my first addon effort and there will be a number of amateur quirks but through testing I have determined it to be sufficient for its intended purpose.

Enjoy!

Known Bugs:

-The LPD MUST be placed in the editor with an orientation of 0 degrees (nose pointing East) or 180 degrees (nose pointing West). The script used to place the ship is broken.

-many of the shadows for the forward 2/3 of the ship are broken due to a variety of issues. As long as you do not scrutinize them too closely they should not be noticeable.

-Ocean disappears when looking out of the observation deck's window. It's due to how I textured the "glass". This only occurs when looking through the window.

-When a player spawns on the LPD in the middle of a mission they are prone to instant death/injury. A clever mission maker may be able to resolve that on their end.

-"wet feet" sounds after getting out the water and into the LPD. This will go away once you walk on solid ground (example: dirt).

DOWNLOAD LINKS

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20619793/LPD29_v20.zip

Readme is included in the zip file

Future Plans:

I've been scratching my head trying to get this thing perfect for about a year and what you see are the results. I will keep trying to iron out the bugs but I make no promises.

Special Thanks

J. Charlin : For providing the texture of the flight deck and the raw textures used throughout the ship.

MIDN Hardy : For providing real photos of the interior of the USS Greenbay.

Gnat and the gentle-people of OFPEC : For helping out a noob that didn't know the first thing about addon creation.

Thank you all!

Edited by Absolution_15th

Looks good! Grabbing my oars and heading off now....

Cool, this looks much more useable than the Khe Sahn for deploying amphibs. Great work!

Also the video is excellent, kudos. :)

Very nice, looks great! Good video too, thanks for sharing.

Very. very good!!!

Now only thing we are lacking is a good, textured, scripted and workin' LCAC

This is perfect for my multi island OFP world map (To be released When it's done TM)

BTW I have sent a PM with some ideas and some reference files

Will the Phalanx funcion on this baby?

Is this LPD-29 fictional project, I just know LPD-17 San Antonio that went through huge reliability problems?

Otherwise damn cool addon.

Am I wrong here? 0 degrees is North and 180 south. I went in to the editor just now and had all my ships facing East and they were all pointing at 90 degrees.

So, are we to point east and west or 0 and 180 (north and south)? Or are each map different? I was on Everon but I thought the top of the screen was always north.

And if we do point them the wrong way, will that only affect certain scripts like take off and landing or will it not work or just crash?

Looks great, and perfect timing I was just populating a naval mission and was looking for anymore ships. I got Gnat's and Isolas already so this one is needed. I like the amphibious opening. I just wish the apcs weren't so slow in the water. Sitting targets.

Cant wait to try it. thanks

really enjoyed the video, nice to see more boats added :)

grabbing

To clarify some things:

When you place the LPD the little compass in the lower right of the dialog box should read 0 or 180. This causes the ship to point East (90) or West (270). This is because the axis system I used to build the ship and the axis system of Oxygen2 are not the same and there is that 90 deg difference. Nose of the ship should point E-W when looking at the icon.

If you don't point it in the right direction the ship wont be assembled correctly. It is composed of 3 separate sections.

The two RAM launchers are decorative only but there may be a way to attach a working system using other available addons.

Head on up to the observation deck, overlooking the flight deck, to find a dedication plaque thanking all of those who helped. I have also updated the first post.

The LPD-29 is a fictional ship (LPD-28 will be the last of the San Antonio Class, which is a real ship class). I realize that there will be an "LPD-29" someday of a different class but I guess the navy will have to curse my name for all eternity for taking the number first. :)

Edited by Absolution_15th

keep up the great work, it looks great. I'll play around with it some more when I wake up.

The ship is incredible. I love it.

Some suggestions:

- Rotate the LODs in O2 so they point correctly in the direction they should so we can set them.

- Turn one of the segments (for example the middle one) into a static class, and there add the turrets with the bushmaster cannons and the Mk40 RAM launchers. Using a commander with primaryobserver=1 and another gunner with primarygunner=1 you will have two turrets with OA radar.

You would have to add a new room where the gunners should be.

- Try experimenting with the Construction interface. Maybe you could use the COIN module or an evolution of it to enable use of the COIN to spawn choppers, boats and amtracks in the different bays

- And if you take a look at the files I sent you there are a couple things you could use to turn the ship into a movable base armed with weapons.

Finally got around to trying this out, really a great addon. Lots of functionality and impressive eye candy. Surprised you managed to fit it into 3 models without any holes (wish I was that lucky).

I'm with mankyle's suggestion on rotating the ship in O2. Maybe change the displayNames all to "LPD-29", because visually in-game its all one ship/one piece and there's no need for users to see or distinguish between the "mid section" etc.

You might also want to look into my carrier and take a peek at the spawn script I use, which is just a more modified version of what you use. Has worked flawlessly for me in terms of keeping all the pieces together while orienting it to whatever direction is set in the Editor. I was going to try and do this for you and send you the file but for some reason I CTD whenever I try to createVehicle one of your classes.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions or want some help.

The boat looks fine, but I have some questions :

- Is the LPD-29 MP proof ?

- Is there a Bisign to be found somewhere ?

I must say i'm impressed with the quality of this addon. Should have been a hell of a job. Thanks for sharing with us.

Hey nice work! Thanks for releasing it :D

The boat looks fine, but I have some questions :

- Is the LPD-29 MP proof ?

- Is there a Bisign to be found somewhere ?

I don't want to go so far as saying its MP "proof" but my unit has used it in MP operations several times without any notable bugs.

There is no Bisign.

Not sure why you would CTD when doing that operation, JDog, do you have a crash report? Getting it to fit *just* right so that it didn't generate holes was a significant part of the process.

mankyle, all the components are static class and rotating the whole model is on the to do list. I also plan to revisit the spawn script.

Thank you for all the shout outs! I hope that you all enjoy the ship despite its flaws!

They cannot be called flaws, because they are not.

Just things to do

It is fairly usable as it is. Overall I like it a lot.

There is no Bisign.

I will reword my question. Some of us around here are playing on "open" game server with sign verification, so do you intend to release a version featuring a BiSign ?

Hello everyone, i'm very sorry to bring back up this old thread for this fantastic addon.

I have to report a bug and i don't know if it occurred only to me or it is on the addon's end.

I spawned the ship oriented as you told (0°-180°, tried both ways and happened anyway) but when i was walking on the flight deck of the ship, close to the entrance of the hangar i still managed to fall through the ship (and consequently die). The exact point where this happens is about over the red/white striped line just outside the hangar bay.

Has any of you ever experienced this problem?

EDIT: i tried to repeat the bug and while in open sea it does not happen. The first time i spawned the ship there was ground below the surface (even though it was way deep). I think it happened because the three blocks adjusted themselves according to the different height of the ground, thus creating that "fall through" problem.

Edited by AlphaSixtyOne

It does sound like the un-even terrain underwater that seems to be causing it. Try to place the LPD in a place where the blue water lies that curve (Indicating the terrain under the waves) where none cross the location the LPD will spawn, and it'll be fine. But if you were to say, put the ship closer to shore where the terrain has more valleys and rifts due to the beaches, the LPD will spawn awkwardly. That is, if I recall correctly.