Sign in to follow this  
msy

Why AI is good at shooting long range target instead of closed one?

I want to show a situation:

You put an soldier 10 meters away from you, and you are at his back. After you fire at his side but not shoot him, he will first go prone and then turn around but he is not aiming at your direction. he will spend seconds to notice you then shoot you.

Another is that you move slowly to approach him, no matter how you move, when the distance between him and you is less than 10m, the enemy will soon find your existance and turn around to shoot you very quickly.

It is very unhappy to see these things.

Edited by msy

1. You'll never appear directly behind someone, so that's not really a concern nor a valid test.

2. Of course, he heard you walking up. If you were to crouch or go prone and crawl forward you could approach him all the way, especially at night.

1. You'll never appear directly behind someone, so that's not really a concern nor a valid test.

2. Of course, he heard you walking up. If you were to crouch or go prone and crawl forward you could approach him all the way, especially at night.

1. What I wrote is a question but you can have a more suitable example to prove it.

2. I tried crawl to an enemy in daylight, the enemy still can feel my existence. And if the enemy can "hear" your noise, why when you fire as what I say in the first situation, he can't quickly find you?

Because the AI pinpoints footsteps better than gunshots.

The disparity may be a glitch, or it may be a careful decision that balances the AI so they function correctly in the majority of situations, while failing unrealistic tests.

99% of the time, the objective of listening to a gunshot is to get a general idea of the target location. If they made the AI pinpoint your location based on gunshot sound at close range, it would likely make their spotting abilities too good at long range. The AI lacks the basic logic of a human mind (human minds have 10ghz octo-core CPUs), and will continue to search out their best guess rather than use trial and error.

Another is that you move slowly to approach him, no matter how you move, when the distance between him and you is less than 10m, the enemy will soon find your existance and turn around to shoot you very quickly.

What's wrong with this?

Sounds realistic to me.

not mistaken, if you approach an AI from behind at night (0200 - 0400) they will not attack you if you move slowly within 10m. But day time, then you are looking for trouble.

What's wrong with this?

Sounds realistic to me.

10 meters is too far for assasinate although there is no really assasinate tool in ARMA2.

Edited by msy

I've had AI walk right past me while laying down in the grass. Although, this was at dawn. It really gets your heart pumping when they get that close!

Because the AI pinpoints footsteps better than gunshots.

The disparity may be a glitch, or it may be a careful decision that balances the AI so they function correctly in the majority of situations, while failing unrealistic tests.

99% of the time, the objective of listening to a gunshot is to get a general idea of the target location. If they made the AI pinpoint your location based on gunshot sound at close range, it would likely make their spotting abilities too good at long range. The AI lacks the basic logic of a human mind (human minds have 10ghz octo-core CPUs), and will continue to search out their best guess rather than use trial and error.

If BIS can simulate environment noise disturbance to disable AI quickly pinpointing the exact position of long range gunshots by "hearing", then BIS can try to more logically make AI rational in closed combat.

Edited by msy

ive had them look at me, run right past me, crouch in a corner, and completely ignore me and my ai squad mate (my squad mate ignored him too), the ai has ignored each other a few times for me

Why don't they turn around when approached by a Civilian, they should at least take a look. They will turn around if you make a Civ hostile so it's not just sound based it's threat based.

There are also problems with vehicles not seeing each other which I find more disturbing as they should easily be spotted.

Edited by F2k Sel

Why don't they turn around when approached by a Civilian, they should at least take look. They will turn around if you make a Civ hostile so it's not just sound based it's threat based.

The AI intrinsically knows to ignore movement and even bullets from friendly and neutral units, even if they aren't aware of the non-threatening unit's presence.

There are also problems with vehicles not seeing each other which I find more disturbing as they should easily be spotted.

Vehicle spotting really is the worst of both world. Tanks are usually enormously numb to each other's presence, yet when finally alerted they gain 360 degree vision.

Vehicle spotting really is the worst of both world. Tanks are usually enormously numb to each other's presence, yet when finally alerted they gain 360 degree vision.

That was fixed in one of the recent betas. Like attacking the tank with AT4 doesn't cause it to immediately turn to you and engage.

I think the problem with units engaging badly in CQB is improved too, but the current beta is rather broken.

A lot of this can also depend on what the units or servers skill settings are set to. We had all of our settings in the servers config file set to 0 (don't know how but has been corrected now) and missions that we could hardly get a foothold in were beaten in no time at all. Enemy AI ran right past us 10m then turned and shot. Once we set it back to where it was supposed to be we didn't stand a chance, they would see you crouch and shoot you dead on. So if you are playing on recruit setting this will be common, set it to veteran or higher or set unit skill level up in its init field and you won't stand a chance.