Sign in to follow this  
sbsmac

83244: Feedback

Our second step towards addressing the issue of deadzones sees us deploy a configurable linear multiplication factor for all joystick axes' sensitivity. We've also made some changes to the controls set up more generally, so be sure to configure the actions correctly in the new 'helicopter' selection in the controls option menu.

Excellent change! I have an X52 with rudder pedals and throttle.

I've configured all axes to give linear response with maximum scaling (sensitivity slider in middle, deadzone slider to 0, linear scaling to 3.0) and the helicopter now seems to respond much more as I'd expect with small control inputs. (I get the feeling the mapping between control input and avatar joystick position has been reworked as well?)

The only exception is the throttle where to get the full range without excessive sensitivity in the middle, I've had to dial back the sensitivity slider.

For anyone else who was confused about the settings, the key is to use the 'Show' button in the bottom right hand corner which you can see in this picture... http://www.armaleague.com/mac/misc/controls.png

this ability to adjust and SHOW dead zones in particular really helped diagnose a problem I was having with my joystick (Microsoft SideWinder Precision Pro aka p.o.s.).

Apparently my joystick was sending z axis signals even without touching the stick. I increased the dead zone and those signals stopped.

thanks BIS for the change and SBSmac for highlighting the SHOW button!

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

Well I've only put about 20mins into things, but I had to come back and say I agree with sbsmac on the controls side of things. I'm currently X/Y @ 3.0 with mid sensitivity and it's great. Moved Z to 1.0 though, and sensitivity to 0 and a slight deadzone. I can now use almost the full range of the throttle. (ie.. it's well into the indents and almost full range of motion to hit -/+ 100)

Most excellent, just having the ability to see whats going on is very helpful. But actually having the controllers behave in a fairly intuitive manner ... and I can use the full range of motion on the throttle ... well, thats just awesome. Hopefully this becomes standard across the titles.

Much appreciated, going back to flyin around now. :)

Minor issue with 83244 preview: After turning on the lights I couldn't turn them off anymore. The clickable switch doesn't show any action on it (only arrow symbols).

I missed couple of previous community previews so not sure if this is new issue.

Confirm this. The action is still there, but it's not activated as a "default action" that show up automatically. But this was also there in the previous patch, although I'm pretty sure it used to work earlier.

My deadzone on the Z axis doesnt stick when I set it on my Logitech extreme 3D pro. It resets back to zero straight away. I can set it again, and again, keeps resetting. The rest is awesome.

My deadzone on the Z axis doesnt stick when I set it on my Logitech extreme 3D pro. It resets back to zero straight away. I can set it again, and again, keeps resetting. The rest is awesome.

Same Joystick, same problem with Z axis.

the feedback in this thread on how the sensitivity was set to around 1/2 and the other setting at 3.0 really helped me get good response on my joystick. would be nice to have the exact numbers show up when adjusting but looking at the config will give that anyway. i found a tiny deadzone - just visible - made a huge difference on cyclic in being able to hover more easily.

really dig the ability to set up and refine the joystick and the separation of heli and aircraft.

Same Joystick, same problem with Z axis.

You are right! There is nasty BUG crawling through all your joysticks whenever the number in the left column of RPT diagnostics was not continuous, such as

Detected Joystick: T.16000M
   0 ... X Axis [1,30]
   1 ... Y Axis [1,31]
   5 ... Z Rotation [1,35]
   6 ... Slider [1,36]

Detected Joystick: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro USB
0 ... Osa X [1,30]
1 ... Osa Y [1,31]
5 ... Rotace Z [1,35]
6 ... Posuvník [1,36] 

Detected Joystick: Logitech Extreme 3D
   0 ... X Axis [1,30]
   1 ... Y Axis [1,31]
   5 ... Z Rotation [1,35]
   6 ... Slider [1,36]

Testing the fix atm.

Great update! The Light Helicopter is now a dream to fly. With the changes to joystick adjustment, hovering and landing now works as it should and the over controlling is gone.

Nice look to the HUD instruments now too.

Head position of pilot:

Is the position of the pilot correct - it is something that has bothered me for a while? He seems to be sitting too high and a bit too far forward. If you look left you get a face full of door frame.

FOV and view zooming:

In the actual game will it be possible to zoom out further? In the preview combined with Arma2 the zoomed out FOV is a bit limited.

When will an NVIDIA SLI profile for takeonpreview.exe be developed by NVIDIA? Now I have to rename the exe of every beta to takeonh.exe for SLI to work.

I can not map all my keys on my Thrustmaster HOTAS warthog. I am running them in Combined Mode... ie using the Target GUI.

I can not map all my keys on my Thrustmaster HOTAS warthog. I am running them in Combined Mode... ie using the Target GUI.

I'm having a similar problem with my TM Top Gun Fox 2 pro.

Button 2 & 3 which I had previously set to set trim & release trim are not being recognized correctly.

To be more clear, when I try to set B3 to release trim, it shows up as B2.

I would just like to say that the flight model is becoming really interesting.

I've never been in a helicopter (I'm going to fix that in September) but it feels realistic to me.

Thanks...