Sign in to follow this  
Militant1006

Idea for a complex aiming system

Something I thought of recently, that I had not seen mentioned anywhere else was a concept where to aim your weapon, you have to enter what some people may call a "minigame", where lets say you right click as usual for aiming your weapon, but when you do that, instead of automatically centering on the sights ready to shoot instantly, you have to maybe either drag the mouse or press a key or a few keys to essentially drag the scope to your eyes, once it is up to your eye, you proceed to shoot as normal.

Sounds really clunky I know, but if done properly it could really make shooting interesting, although a problem I could see, at least with using the mouse to drag the sights, is that trying to shoot at an enemy to the left may be a problem when you are trying to drag your mouse to the right, but then in CQB not many people completely use their sights.

maybe another system could be where hitting one button makes your head go over the weapon so you have a good idea of where the bullets are going, and then looking down your sights requires hitting another key, and it could take longer to sight in, maybe even vary between sights, to simulate a reflex sights advantages over the ironsights.

Just my thoughts that I wanted to share.

No thanks, I dont want to have to play a minigame every time I want to shoot my weapon...

why would anyone want to do that?

1295931306-922593-450x268-1295930574mind-blown_thumb.jpg?1301952716

I'm sorry but what? You want us to be fiddling around on the keyboard while trying to line up a shot while under fire?

Just.....no.....

I think this would be funny one or two times, but it will get annoying very soon. This sounds like it would complicate controlling the player character even worse more fumbling. No, thanks.

OP had a brainfart to share? :D

You can always take a look around holding your weapon in a certain direction and you can use the outzoomed sight view - toggle NUM "-" if you like.

There are also customizable features like headbob, mouse smoothing, floating zone etc.

Why one has to make it more complicated than it is?

hahahaha, well I guess it was a bad idea, but I still think different times for bringing up the sights would be useful, to simulate the advantage of reflex sights over ironsights, or scopes.

The main reason I had the idea would be to make player skill at shooting a little more important, guess it was a bad idea.

hahahaha, well I guess it was a bad idea, but I still think different times for bringing up the sights would be useful, to simulate the advantage of reflex sights over ironsights, or scopes.

The main reason I had the idea would be to make player skill at shooting a little more important, guess it was a bad idea.

Don't feel too bad about it :) glad the thread didn't turn nasty though :)

Seen worse on these forums.... :D

nah, I don't really mind, at least someone responded with humour, and I never said "BIS MUST IMPLEMENT THIS".

this idea reminds me on Trespasser where i found the shooting pretty much fun with all the directions you could turn your weapon hand.

even phat gangsta pistol handling was possible with the weapon turned for 90 degrees.

but i guess in the heat of a firefight one would realy hate this feature...

It wouldn't hurt if I have to take a little time or effort to get a clear line of sight to my target from time to time in PvP(because face it, IRL even if you are well trained for your rifle sometime you will have to take a little time to aim), but even that will be too much for a game that have AIs that won't affected by the same human factor that we have.

this idea reminds me on Trespasser where i found the shooting pretty much fun with all the directions you could turn your weapon hand.

even phat gangsta pistol handling was possible with the weapon turned for 90 degrees.

but i guess in the heat of a firefight one would realy hate this feature...

Trespasser, although a good and ground-breaking game, gave the player so much control that they became spastic with it.

It did introduce the far-underused cleavage-o-rama health tatoo :D

Edited by DMarkwick

No. This would make it more difficult then real life. Also it could make new players not want to play.

This. But not with times.

An idea, based in the Resistance and Liberation system:

• General\normal stance = holding the rifle at hip\low\whatever. Fast moving. Big floating zone.
  • RMB click = bring weapon to shoulder, not aiming throught ironsights, both eyes open. Somekind of 2D HUD to simulate holographic\aimdot ability to aim with both eyes open. In scopes\ACOG = "small" view area using RTT. Not so fast moving. Small floating zone.
  • RMB Hold = Full screen sights, like what we have today. More stady, slow moving. No floating zone.

All with 3rd person proper animations.

Something like

or

EDIT:

. Edited by Smurf

Why do people have to suggest strange ways to "improve" on things that work perfectly already (and have worked so since OFP)?

Why do people have to suggest strange ways to "improve" on things that work perfectly already (and have worked so since OFP)?
Yeah why improve anything lets just keep the game the same through every iteration and not try innovate or improve...........(sarcasm).I like smurfs idea too btw.

Trespasser, although a good and ground-breaking game, gave the player so much control that they became spastic with it.

It did introduce the far-underused cleavage-o-rama health tatoo :D

why do you look at her cleavage all the time you horny tard? hey im just checking my health!

but seriously there was much potential this game had, but unfortunately you cant do much but collect weapons, throw stuff on other stuff and kill dinosaurs ... to bad that there are always those stupid publishers with their release dates :(

why would anyone want to do that?

It will be part of the new XP system. Imagine seeing the following text appear in flashing, high contrast letters covering over half your screen every 10 seconds or so:

XP +10

Unlocked Special Power: Repetitive Strain Injury

Something I thought of recently, that I had not seen mentioned anywhere else was a concept where to aim your weapon, you have to enter what some people may call a "minigame", where lets say you right click as usual for aiming your weapon, but when you do that, instead of automatically centering on the sights ready to shoot instantly, you have to maybe either drag the mouse or press a key or a few keys to essentially drag the scope to your eyes, once it is up to your eye, you proceed to shoot as normal.

Sounds really clunky I know, but if done properly it could really make shooting interesting, although a problem I could see, at least with using the mouse to drag the sights, is that trying to shoot at an enemy to the left may be a problem when you are trying to drag your mouse to the right, but then in CQB not many people completely use their sights.

maybe another system could be where hitting one button makes your head go over the weapon so you have a good idea of where the bullets are going, and then looking down your sights requires hitting another key, and it could take longer to sight in, maybe even vary between sights, to simulate a reflex sights advantages over the ironsights.

Just my thoughts that I wanted to share.

Buy yourself a Trakir as that will add what it is you are trying to ask for here, with trakir you have your head free to look around outside the direction your weapon is pointing. There are extra features that could be added to A3 that would add more realism beyond whats already modelled which would make the weapons more realistic although it would require a plastic weapon replica wired to your PC with sensors and you would not be able to use the mouse as the weapon is in your hands. The effect of the replica is to detect the way the user is holding the weapon as well as that there is also recoil added by compressed air and accuracy is determined by how you fire the weapon.

Maybe this is what you mean't, already modelled in A2 by using trakir.

Edited by SUBS17