Sign in to follow this  
Dejanus

Graphics Card Question

Hello there, I am very much looking forward to ArmA 3, and enjoyed the last two immensely.

I have a small question about the minimum requirements. I see that the minimum required video card specs are:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 or ATI Radeon HD 5770 with Shader Model 3 and 896 MB VRAM, or faster

I believe that my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 meets this, but Can You Run It disagrees, and I would like a second opinion. Please note that this computer, an Alienware M11x, is very new, and upgrading would be impossible for me at this time.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

If you can run ArmA II fine now, I'm sure you will be able to run ArmA III just as well.

Hardware might be outdated, but that doesn't mean it isn't going to perform as well.

And the system requirements for ArmA III have been revealed nearly a year before the actual release and are subject to change.

and upgrading would be impossible for me at this time.

Arma 3 will come about Q4 2012, so you still have some time to collect some money and buy the latest stuff when you hold the game in your hands ;)

But the team is also very much focusing on optimization and your GPU might even be able to make it at decent settings and fps.

Time will tell :)

I'm getting GFX 560Ti it's decent card, pretty decent price, good physix :D

I think, it's best bang for a buck for Arma3 :) Because GTX570 is way over kill. It's costs 100euros more than 560Ti and only gets 1 - 10 more FPS :D (depends on game). Maybe should get 2Gb version instead of 1 (costs something like 20 euros more) because... it will come handy for very high textures loading ;)

But since you have decent ATi card then you can buy some cheap nvidia g8 series card for physix, using modified drivers and it works like that: ATi doing main job and nvidia calculates physix ;)

Have fun :)

Edited by Mafia101

Actually GTX570 will do the trick. It's under 300 bucks now and I'm sure will let you handle BIS new 400 sq.km desert island well at a good view distance (as the game boasts 20km now). It isn't like there will be too much vegetation like on Chernarus.

I think i will also go for the 560ti, or whatever the market holds for me in 2012 ^^

anyways i really think things will change till then

Im interested in a GTX 560 Ti myself.

This one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130610

Hopefully it can run BF3 at High settings and Arma 3 on at least medium-high settings with a stable frame rate.

I know this will be perfect though for most the PC games ill be playing at the time

Arma games

BF3

Elder Scrolls Skyrim

Starcraft 2

Diablo 3

and all my current games seems like a good deal for $250

considerable improvement over a 9800gt at stock frequencies! :eek:

Whatever the requirements are, just quadruple them and you can play it on medium.

My suggestion, get a GFX card with over 1GB memory or you will regret it.

I would say 1.5Gb minimum.

As for playing BF3, I wouldn't bet on it, while playing the Alpha at the moment I am only getting roughly ARMA 2 FPS performance out of the game with my current set up.

I really hope that my computer can handle ARMAIII so I can play medium settings.

The GTX 570 is a very good card and Im really happy about it .

Hello there, I am very much looking forward to ArmA 3, and enjoyed the last two immensely.

I have a small question about the minimum requirements. I see that the minimum required video card specs are:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 or ATI Radeon HD 5770 with Shader Model 3 and 896 MB VRAM, or faster

I believe that my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 meets this, but Can You Run It disagrees, and I would like a second opinion. Please note that this computer, an Alienware M11x, is very new, and upgrading would be impossible for me at this time.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

If this upgrade is for ArmA3, you would be very well advised to not upgrade until the release is imminent.

1, you will have a better idea of ArmA3 requirements and

2 stuff will be cheaper/better.

If this upgrade is for ArmA3, you would be very well advised to not upgrade until the release is imminent.

1, you will have a better idea of ArmA3 requirements and

2 stuff will be cheaper/better.

This. Give it 14 months or so. :)

This. Give it 14 months or so. :)

I would like to think 12! But I am always the optimist!! :yay:

Well i think your first mistake was buying it from a manufacturer...but honestly i'd be aiming at Nvidia 400's/500's or the ATI equivalent.

Personally i'm still looking at the MSI GTX580...but i have a complicated situation where i have little money and need an entire re-build :/

My suggestion, get a GFX card with over 1GB memory or you will regret it.

I would say 1.5Gb minimum.

As for playing BF3, I wouldn't bet on it, while playing the Alpha at the moment I am only getting roughly ARMA 2 FPS performance out of the game with my current set up.

I've been wondering about this -higher memory that is. I'm running two 460 1gb in SLI and it seems to run everything swimmingly, Arma2 included.

Is it true that only 1gb of memory is running with the two cards combined?

Are you saying 1 card at 2gb memory is superior to sli setup for Arma?

I was reading some PC-techie site last nite that the difference between 1gb and 2 gb is negligible in gaming but I'm guessing Arma series may be exception?

Just wondering as I tend to build friends and family systems and I'll swap out my SLI for a higher memory card if thtas really the case :)

I've been wondering about this -higher memory that is. I'm running two 460 1gb in SLI and it seems to run everything swimmingly, Arma2 included.

Is it true that only 1gb of memory is running with the two cards combined?

Are you saying 1 card at 2gb memory is superior to sli setup for Arma?

I was reading some PC-techie site last nite that the difference between 1gb and 2 gb is negligible in gaming but I'm guessing Arma series may be exception?

Just wondering as I tend to build friends and family systems and I'll swap out my SLI for a higher memory card if thtas really the case :)

Better SLi with higher memory.

Most games will use only about a GB, like CoD for example, but these have pissy little maps compared to A2 and a lot of other games of similar proportion.

My SLi 285s were hitting 99% of memory usage almost all of the time in A2 and now my 580's I can almost fill up the memory as well. Difference being my 285s were only running a single monitor at 1920x1200, whereas my 580s are running 5940x1080 over three monitors.

I could still get over 1GB usage with my 580s on the same 1920x1200 monitor though.

You want more eye candy, then get more memory for it.

Interesting but I'm wondering if it's really gives that much more bang for the buck. I'm running OA now with high details, a few effects mods, and maybe 5000 VD pretty well.

The most dramatic upgrades I've ever felt were both switching to the Quad core 2500k (from e8500 dual) and trying ramdisk. Even the upgrade from a single 460 to 2 in sli felt minor compared to the previous two.

Basically I'm just saying that maybe this is one of those things that is worthwhile when watching your VC performance charts in action but less noticeable ingame. If it is that dramatic, i'll pick up a 2gb 560ti now and another one after a price drop.

Edited by froggyluv

If the "3" is like the others i would worry MORE

about Processor speed and SystemMemory...

Im running A2 with a Phenom 9500 Quad at 2.2ghz

I have 3gb SystemMemory and a Nvidia 8800GT 512Mb...

It is barly playable sometimes. And i doubt its cause the

inferior GPU...

I keep reading about 560ti's dying after 3 or 4 months.

Especially if you're someone who has their system on for long periods of time.

Seems kind a BS :j: I've read pretty much articles and I haven't found nothing about it.

As I said I did good research for 560Ti and I found that Best card to get is MSI GTX560Ti HAWK edition. Because It have Twin Force III fan and decent factory OC which is near as like stock GTX 570. Also MSI have decent warranty, 3 years maybe?

But If you don't like it and It is bit more expensive than other 560Ti versions... Next on the list is ASUS 560Ti DCII TOP or MSI 560Ti Twin Force II OC - both cards are more clockable but ASUS have better factory settings :-P

Unfortunately as I said before, that I would get 2Gb version... It's kind a complicated... Only PALIT have one, kind a same price as HAWK but I'm not very keen on PALIT brand :S

But still I don't keen on GTX570. Stock 570 is not that good for a price because I can get kind a same result for cheaper OC cards but decent OC edition is very expensive and It does have kind a same power like 580 stock but yeah. I'd rather getting SLI in the future if needed :-P

I have never heard of this problem. I have read and watched many reviews of the card. Gone on forums to see discussions about it between actual owners of it. Yet, you are the first to say this...

I have never heard of this problem. I have read and watched many reviews of the card. Gone on forums to see discussions about it between actual owners of it. Yet, you are the first to say this...

I read about the death after 3 months on newegg reviews.

other than that nothing...

If it's anything like A2, the GPU wouldn't be so important anyway.

I know this isn't really related to GPU, but I'm wondering if an upgrade to an i7 2600 will atall improve the performance of the system I'm looking into?

i5 2310

GTX560ti

6GB RAM (should I go with 8 instead?)

I haven't played any of the previous Arma games, yet this and the previous titles utterly amaze me, something that requires a slower pace! FINALLY!

I know this isn't really related to GPU, but I'm wondering if an upgrade to an i7 2600 will atall improve the performance of the system I'm looking into?

i5 2310

GTX560ti

6GB RAM (should I go with 8 instead?)

I haven't played any of the previous Arma games, yet this and the previous titles utterly amaze me, something that requires a slower pace! FINALLY!

as far as i am aware systems are rarely using 8 gb ram, but if it is cheaper to purchase at some point why not doing so.

other then that i5 should be ok gtx 560ti should be fine to but there is always room for improvement if your wallet allows it but then I would advice to wait till when you exactly know what mini maxi settings are required ;-) it might be cheaper then now and you would be able to upgrade more sufficient to the game requirments that ArmA3 will ask.

kind regards

Edited by KBourne