Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

We need some leaked screenshots! :p

Not even beer leaks from the office of the Interactive Bohemians :cool:

I'am already happy with the Marksman DLC and its features, hower I really hope that with bipods we will see a suppressive fire mechanic too, for both players and AI, as this is one of the biggest thing missing from AIII IMO.

Edited by HaZZarD

Therein lies the problem: How do you define a suppressive fire mechanic, i.e. gameplay effects, how it's achieved, how it works on AI (versus how it works on players if at all)... that sort of thing. I'm sure that internally BI has done a bunch of thinking about it, but since they haven't announced it yet it seems like they have less confidence in the idea (or rather, their ability to execute it satisfactorily) than they do resting/bipods (which to be fair is a good thing for resting/bipods)...

Therein lies the problem: How do you define a suppressive fire mechanic, i.e. gameplay effects, how it's achieved, how it works on AI (versus how it works on players if at all)... that sort of thing. I'm sure that internally BI has done a bunch of thinking about it, but since they haven't announced it yet it seems like they have less confidence in the idea (or rather, their ability to execute it satisfactorily) than they do resting/bipods (which to be fair is a good thing for resting/bipods)...

It's simple. What is suppression? Based upon a value of someone's well being, upon being suppressed, causes them not to do anything that would get themselves killed. This varies in different situations, some won't continue the same assault path they were suppressed, while some will see through the suppression and carry on. How to execute suppression? Look at how Insurgency has it. The bullet impacts and cracks, and character panicking sounds are a key factor in suppression in that game, and I've had situation where I myself were actually ducking in real life because of it. Now compared to Arma, I hear a bullet crack and nothing really comes of it until a bullet actually hits me. Impact sounds and effects in Arma are very simple and very quiet. If these factors were improved, suppression would become a natural reaction, as it should be, and not illustrates by blurred vision or change of screen colour.

Agreed, Insurgency's suppression effects are stellar.

Yay!

I don't need blur and loud cracks and wobbly vision to ensure suppression.When I was in TvT playing

with 40 people against 40 people when I get shot at I grab cover naturally.Why?Because I don't get

to respawn.Insurgency needs blur/loud noises/supression mechanics because it's small map based

combat with respawn and needs suppression elements (to take you away initiative to sprint toward enemy, neglecting their fire).

Arma is different beast.

I don't need blur and loud cracks and wobbly vision to ensure suppression.When I was in TvT playing

with 40 people against 40 people when I get shot at I grab cover naturally.Why?Because I don't get

to respawn.Insurgency needs blur/loud noises/supression mechanics because it's small map based

combat with respawn and needs suppression elements (to take you away initiative to sprint toward enemy, neglecting their fire).

Arma is different beast.

I agree with blur screen effects but on sound point is arma really bad, no emotion or scare of impact of bullets, it feels you play like a robot and not a human.

Arma is different beast.

The only way altered vision could be used in suppression properly would be sudden squinting, as fast flying objects that can kill you would probably trigger that "close eyes a bit to keep debris out of it" reaction every human has. Other than that, Arma does what it's supposed to do, when suppressed close enough (if a bullet lands a centimeter away, your aim dies, discouraging you to shoot back leaving you the only option to move from that position).

If you try this real life vietnam contact drill for example:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=379920509

The problem in AIII is that the rest of the team outside the "kill zone" wich should provide covering fire, will have troubles in keeping the enemy suppressed because there is no such mechanic in AIII, there is a general lacking of suppressive fire issue in every real life tactic you want to employ in AIII.

So while very happy for 3D editor, bipods and all the cool features coming, I'am still afraid by the fact of hearing no words about a planned suppressive fire feature, such feature would really change AIII gameplay.

Edited by HaZZarD

If you try this real life vietnam contact drill for example:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=379920509

The problem in AIII is that the rest of the team outside the "kill zone" wich should provide covering fire, will have troubles in keeping the enemy suppressed because there is no such mechanic in AIII, there is a general lacking of suppressive fire issue in every real life tactic you want to employ in AIII.

So while very happy for 3D editor, bipods and all the cool features coming, I'am still afraid by the fact of hearing no words about a planned suppressive fire feature, such feature would really change AIII gameplay.

If they are to add any kind of suppression, it should be similar to Insurgency, as that's probably the best suppression example i've ever seen in any game in existence. Which also brings up something that's missing from Arma 3 entirely. When a grenade goes off near you, you should loose hearing for awhile, as it's realistic, and would work just fine as a suppressive tactic. But who knows, maybe BIS has something up their sleeves, what they've mentioned (even though most of it, simply a sketch), is only a tip of the iceberg.

I hope they overhaul the flash suppressors and officially release them, that would be great

I hope they overhaul the flash suppressors and officially release them, that would be great

New attachments are confirmed, so maybe they have added them in. Though, the KSG and M-25 are dead. As neither of those fit the 5 rifles, 2 lmg's (or mmg's) that were confirmed.

"FFV" is under development for turned-out commanders and copilots... Also the Strider's observation thingy is now able to be raised. (I wonder if this may be applicable to the firing from vehicles? Like ducking or something?)

---------- Post added at 05:54 ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 ----------

EDIT: That would actually look really strange. Disregard that last bit.

"FFV" is under development for turned-out commanders and copilots... Also the Strider's observation thingy is now able to be raised. (I wonder if this may be applicable to the firing from vehicles? Like ducking or something?)

Hi

Personally if BIS were able to implement stance adjustment (especially crouching=ducking) in FFV I think it would be great - especially for shooting over the top of cabs of trucks etc..... For hatches on tanks, APCs etc.. it would pretty much be the same as "turning in" - unless it's a very fast motion and the hatch remains open? All potentially very interesting stuff.....;-)

The TL;DR of SITREP #00092: FFV inertia and turret elevation are live on dev, recoil changes and weapon resting "probably" within "the next weeks", the server monetization rules will be a year-long trial (BI foreswears involvement in third-party IP disputes but can revoke permissions from previously authorized servers), some overview re: MANW fallout, and what appears to be an apologia for how long it took to get weapon resting greenlit... although hopefully the result ("a real-time algorithm that can detect positions on official and custom objects alike" for resting/deployment) means that terrain makers won't have to adjust their terrains at all to be compatible with resting/deployment?

MANW fallout, and what appears to be an apologia for how long it took to get weapon resting greenlit...

Where did you get that, I read complete sitrep 92.

Ehhh, the explanation came off a bit "rationalizing"...

"rationailzing" - "wild speculation and misinterpretations" would be a more apt description :rolleyes:

Source for this? :eek:

If turn in/turn out is available to FFV slots this is going to be so cool.

Source for this? :eek:

If turn in/turn out is available to FFV slots this is going to be so cool.

The turn in/out isn't available for FFV slots, but FFV will be available for turn out slots. :)

Source: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?152866-General-Discussion-(dev-branch)&p=2872698&viewfull=1#post2872698

So, for the avoidance of doubt: players, such as commanders sitting in lovely armoured vehicles, who have an action available to stick their fleshy vulnerable heads out of certain hatches, will soonâ„¢ be configured in the same way as other 'FFV' positions. But not yet.

So it's the other way around... well, good enough for me.

It's gonna be plenty of fun figuring out how to do all of this for FFV slots of A2/A1 vehicles, plus animations... :confused:

Oh sorry I quoted wrong part.Thanks for being helpful in anyway Greenfist.

Most likely I will end up creating several animation sets for turn out FFV positions so you might be able to fit them to existing vehicles with more ease. Adjusting positions in FFV is currently not very well doable but it's something i am personally interested to have (in more fluid manner) in future (far rather than near though).

And worry not young padawan, implementing is straight-forward! :)

Edited by Smookie

Most likely I will end up creating several animation sets for turn out FFV positions so you might be able to fit them to existing vehicles with more ease. Adjusting positions in FFV is currently not very well doable but it's something i am personally interested to have (in more fluid manner) in future (far rather than near though).

And worry not young padawan, implementing is straight-forward! :)

I personally hope you guys add something like leaning out windows FFV for civilian vehicles