Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Yeah, but I think ArmA 3 devellopement was kind of chaotic, many change of plan, some important people who left, the Greek episod etc...

One thing I find weird: it seems they only began working on the AI a few weeks ago - whereas IMO, it should have been a top priority thing.

it will be interesting to see what this blog says next week....or will they delay that aswell? most likely.

there better be some sort of redemption

Plus - I will mention "blog" and "optimisation" words and the shitstorm is coming!

Yeah, but I think ArmA 3 devellopement was kind of chaotic, many change of plan, some important people who left, the Greek episod etc...
We're not going to hear the details, but this is what I sense -- people's "what were they doing for the past two years" seems to assume a smooth development, and as we (should have) learned from all the rolling back that was done even before the change in project lead... no, no it wasn't, even before you get into the Greek episode which absolutely had effect (i.e. it's overtly the reason for "Altis").
One thing I find weird: it seems they only began working on the AI a few weeks ago - whereas IMO, it should have been a top priority thing.
Based on one of InstaGoat's Gamescom reports almost a year ago, at the time there still wasn't a complete documentation of the AI... frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the current scope/internal "vision" of the game is actually quite a recent thing (read: "if it was said in 2011 it doesn't count").

Have you guys seen new DayZ video? Jump animation, injury animation and many things what were requested for so long here. Seems we know whats more important for BIS.

And a secure MP architecture. Or ACRE-like radio (or should I say "ACARS")...

Quite honestly I hope it (DayZ SA) fails, then maybe BI will learn not to diverge from their core fan base for some stupid fad.

And a secure MP architecture.
At the cost of modding, which is explicitly why DnA said "nope, not going there".

At the cost of modding, which is explicitly why DnA said "nope, not going there".

... haven't we been over this before? That "excuse" is complete BS. It's absolutely possible to maintain the exact same level of modding while removing all the client's power.

Personally I already lost my hunger for Arma 3 (that could change in the future) and the reason is the approach by BIS towards customers.

Unfortunately I know a lot of people that already moved on from Arma 3 to other games. Main reason? Multiplayer performance and you can't blame them.

Secondly all the axed features and all the broken "promises". I am a fan since OFP and I intend to give the game another chance, unfortunately this is not the case for many other players.

I have the feeling that this might be the last time I buy a BIS product and believe me that hurts. But after all these years we can all see where the ship is heading. I hope that BIS can turn this around and make this game glorious.

yeah, MP could really make or break the sales of Arma 3. SP campaign is nowhere near as important

It is certainly going to make them with current browser, non existent Steam integration, and non enjoyable public PvP experience.

I don't recall "any new features" ever being claimed from the article,

Read the original post I replied to. The poster made it sound like this was great news, which it isn't, and that this would mean that other work gets done, which it doesn't.

It is certainly going to make them with current browser, non existent Steam integration, and non enjoyable public PvP experience.

A3 will get a MP GUI redesign, Steam workshop will be added, and PVP is pretty enjoyable...

A3 will get a MP GUI redesign, Steam workshop will be added, and PVP is pretty enjoyable...

As it will get the SP campaign. Point is, it will be after the initial release, and that is the biggest issue. Yeah, it is, note that I said public. Also when I say enjoyable, I mean a PvP scenario with up to 64 players and all assets available, with easy to understand and fun gameplay experience. Would you care to name a public server with such a mission? I only know one, it's that Battle for Stratis or something similar (can't recall exactly), I saw like 1 server running it and it was a lagfast each time I tried it...

Edited by Minoza

Bad decision BIS. I can live with this - I don't know any other alternative to Arma. But considering your effort in including a greater mainstream to the game, this is definitely a step backwards.

note that I said public. Also when I say enjoyable, I mean a PvP scenario with up to 64 players and all assets available, with easy to understand and fun gameplay experience. Would you care to name a public server with such a mission? I only know one, it's that Battle for Stratis or something similar (can't recall exactly), I saw like 1 server running it and it was a lagfast each time I tried it...

Well, there is CTI, FT2 and Wasteland. They're not perfect, but it takes time to create so complex missions. I do hope that someone will make a big PVP mode with all assets after the game releases!

Bad decision BIS. I can live with this - I don't know any other alternative to Arma. But considering your effort in including a greater mainstream to the game, this is definitely a step backwards.

There certainly are alternatives for casual players that BI wanted to attract with this game. They will simply not play the game, not because they don't like the concept, but because of numerous bad design decisions that should've been gone by now.

I also forgot to mention Blitzkrieg, which is pretty hardcore. And those mods are far from "casual" (except maybe wasteland a bit).

I realise I might be a bit late to the party, but my 2 cents about a campaign not being included at launch:

I don't really give a crap. You don't buy ArmA for the SP. Still, I can see why some people are upset.

The MP, editor and all the custom scenarios (and all the mods of course) created by the community is what it's all about though.

You have both islands, all three factions, every weapon, every vehicle and endless opportunities. Knock yourselves out.

Think that BI are really playtesting for once. And quickly came to realize that the AI is a hindrance for the campaign to play out. given the sharp Q3 deadline AI had to become a priority by pure logic.

Yeah but if you know how broken, blind, suicidal and slow AI is in ArmA3 - the question is how they can call the game final when AI is still that bad?

If BIS really cared about fixing AI they would've started doing it years ago or at least when alpha was out, not a month before release. What's worse AI in ArmA3 still doesn't have critical AI fixes applied from OA 1.63 beta - it will have an AT weapon but instead of using it will run around enemy APCs never firing and instead getting killed by that APC.

they keep getting improvements to the wounding system, attachments with exchangeable slots incl. bayonets and we are stuck with dumbed down instaheal FAKs and different models of weapons needed for underbarrel launchers and bipods. Edited by metalcraze

Yeah but if you know how broken, blind, suicidal and slow AI is in ArmA3 - the question is how they can call the game final when AI is still that bad?

If BIS really cared about fixing AI they would've started doing it years ago or at least when alpha was out, not a month before release. What's worse AI in ArmA3 still doesn't have critical AI fixes applied from OA 1.63 beta - it will have an AT weapon but instead of using it will run around enemy APCs never firing and instead getting killed by that APC.

they keep getting improvements to the wounding system, attachments with exchangeable slots incl. bayonets and we are stuck with dumbed down instaheal FAKs and different models of weapons needed for underbarrel launchers and bipods.

BI already admitted that AI wasn't prioritized before the Alpha, and that it was their mistake. And they didn't start only working on AI a month ago, they did work on it pretty good since the Alpha release.

And again, DayZ- whole different development team.

What are you rambling about? The engine hardly utilizes our hardware. No matter how much hardware advances, this engine will only use a small portion of it.

Sorry but this was irrelevant to my comment.

I was referring to many here saying: "Aaa!..this is not supported by engine.."

So..while ArmA's engine is homemade by BI there is nothing else to say than:

"You decide what your game-engine *can do..not the opposite"

BI already admitted that AI wasn't prioritized before the Alpha, and that it was their mistake. And they didn't start only working on AI a month ago, they did work on it pretty good since the Alpha release.

And again, DayZ- whole different development team.

Thats not true.

Dean Hall, Ivan Buchta, Smookie and others worked on Arma 3 before and now they are working on DayZ.

You don't buy ArmA for the SP.

Please, speak for yourself. There ARE people buying Arma for SP. I play SP, and when playing MP, I play Coop. Some people find Coop boring. Some people don't play MP at all.

The MP, editor and all the custom scenarios (and all the mods of course) created by the community is what it's all about though.

You have both islands, all three factions, every weapon, every vehicle and endless opportunities. Knock yourselves out.

Again, the excuse "Community to the rescue". That didn't cut in the realism discussion, and it also doesn't count in this one.

@metalcraze - all the OA fixes are merged in the A3 ...

if you claim there are AI regressions and these fixes aren't working,

what about post the URL to Arma 3 FeedbackTracker ticket into AI thread

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?159710-Development-Branch-AI-Discussion

sorry but complaining w/o reports or proofs is not going to change anything

if you claim there are AI regressions and these fixes aren't working...

Sometimes when in formation, the AI units won't form up properly and spin in little circles around the place where they're supposed to stand. I remember this issue cropped up in some of the Arma 2 betas (1.59 I think).

Will have a look when I get home and put together a repro for you.

I also forgot to mention Blitzkrieg, which is pretty hardcore. And those mods are far from "casual" (except maybe wasteland a bit).
Wasteland isn't really casual depending on how one looks at it -- for example, what outfit you start in (at least as Independent) isn't guaranteed, and in my experience as Independent it's not that hard to find a long gun, but you can forget about it being an accessorized one unless you do a "side" mission (that is, do one and grab the ammo/weapon crate) or gun down somebody with one so it actually has tended for me to be a lot less "tacticool" than, say, public I&A sessions with VAS.
Sometimes when in formation, the AI units won't form up properly and spin in little circles around the place where they're supposed to stand. I remember this issue cropped up in some of the Arma 2 betas (1.59 I think).

Will have a look when I get home and put together a repro for you.

Just make sure that it's over in the AI thread as well/at least!