Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

have the devs even gave a hint to when they may release the blog on optimization?

thanks

As soon as they arm themselves with that team of high profile lawyers to better entrench for the obvious siege that will ensue.

Was the strategic module coming out to beta or release?. Anyways it was sweet^^

Hey guys, regarding the blog post on optimization - that actually falls to me. I've been following the FT optimization report as well as other threads and channels so I'm well aware you're waiting for more information and better ingame performance. And believe me, I share your pain :). I'm currently in progress of writing the blog, having a draft ready. It should be ready soon(ish).

thanks daz for letting us know look forward to it mate

Hey guys, regarding the blog post on optimization - that actually falls to me. I've been following the FT optimization report as well as other threads and channels so I'm well aware you're waiting for more information and better ingame performance. And believe me, I share your pain :). I'm currently in progress of writing the blog, having a draft ready. It should be ready soon(ish).

Hey dazhbog ... moreover it's the AI optimisation. What can be done to make them more lifelike ?

i'm very much looking forward to it even though performance is really decent on my middle aged pc;)

you want to explain us, how we can optimize the game? Or explain, how dev team, will optimize the game for us? :)

Looking forward to this a lot. Loving Arma 3 so far but the performance really could use some improvement. Would like to see it make more effective use of my fairly decent hardware.

Edited by MarkC81

Try the dev branch -- people have been reporting framerate gains with yesterday's build.

I followed the procedure for getting the dev client to download in Steam but it didn't work, I'll have another go. Is it true that using the dev client restricts access to non-dev version servers though?

Correct, it's been that way ever since a certain bug where dev build players on formerly-shared servers were causing glitches for stable build players, or as DnA put it in SITREP #00003:

Cross-joining multiplayer between default and Development branch was disabled on request of 124th Seagull Aviation Squadron.
In general, DnA summarized things like this:
To have a little generalized selection overview:

1. Alpha - Development branch - you want the highest frequency of updates, to be able to quickly confirm fixes, and get sneak previews at changes. But you also accept the high probability of the version working fine one day and not at all the next. This version is good for us to rapidly test crash fixes, experiment with features and such. This branch does not receive high priority support from us; we may have to focus on internal tasks before fixing it. It's not ideal for 'just playing the game'. "The Wild Wild Alpha"
    :292:

• Alpha - default branch - you want to have a reasonably stable experience that passed through internal Quality Assurance (it's still an Alpha). But you accept lower frequency of updates. I'd recommend this version for 'just playing the game'

It seems to me the engine generally need optimising though. Even in SP mode, even though I get a fairly playable frame rate most of the time, I get occasional graphical lag, mainly when zooming with scope or binoculars. I'm using an i5 3570k and GTX 660 which I thought should be able to handle Arma 3 on ultra in SP very well.

And thanks for clarification regarding servers and dev build. Hopefully this can be put back to normal soon.

Edited by MarkC81

Very much looking forward to what this will say.

Definite FPS improvement for me, I used to max out at around 35-40 frames. Now Im hitting 50-60 frames, on pretty active servers (EVGA GTX 680 4GB FTW).

Definite FPS improvement for me, I used to max out at around 35-40 frames. Now Im hitting 50-60 frames, on pretty active servers (EVGA GTX 680 4GB FTW).

This is quite encouraging. Good to hear!!

I spotted something in the Loading screen trivia:

The Spartan, a monument in the southern part of Stratis, was buil to honor the memory of Altian Soldiers fighting alongside the Allies in the WW2's Operation Torch

Operation Torch was a operation in North Africa, not in Greece

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Torch

Now combine this with the new faction name for the independents AAF wich is most likely Altian Armed Forces

I think we can say goodbye to the Greece vs. Persia Backgroundstory wich is a shame imho..

Now combine this with the new faction name for the independents AAF wich is most likely Altian Armed Forces

I think we can say goodbye to the Greece vs. Persia Backgroundstory wich is a shame imho..

That explains the Guyana-looking flag patches for Green Army and why they removed Iranian flags from the OPFOR guys.

Disappointing they decided to switch to fictional factions. :(

No real setting anymore? Why is that? :(

Yay!

Yay!

Because 2 developers were held in a Greek prison for several months.

Edited by Maio

It's about as "real" as literally every Arma game before it...
Because 2 developers were held in a Greece prison for several months.
And they're only out on bail, not actually legally exonerated... and as the renaming to Altis showed in the first place, they really stopped giving a damn about authenticity on that front (I believe at least one dev has admitted to the team being demoralized by the jailings).

Yay!

To match the gameplay. :rolleyes:

:D

I found a beret with the designation [sAS] in the files. They were included in the first story draft which was later scrapped but this would suggest the british SAS definitely makes an appearance as NATO force. :)