Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Although I have to say that whole interia was one of the "problems" of Arma 2 :P. So i wouldn't say that going "back" would be the best idea. Btw. We're going offtopic here I suppose :P. Those are not development reveals ;]

Although I have to say that whole interia was one of the "problems" of Arma 2 :P. So i wouldn't say that going "back" would be the best idea.

No, it never was a problem of Arma 2. Inertia is a physical fact, and any attempt to deny its existence is not going to make a game more realistic. Seeing people do 90 degree turns at full speed is as immersion-breaking as ping battle tanks.

Btw. We're going offtopic here I suppose :P. Those are not development reveals ;]

"Don't contradict me, that's off-topic".

Inertia wasn't the problem. Negative acceleration was.

Inertia just made you think twice before hitting sprint button. Yes it made you suffer more consequences for another wrong call - but that's what ArmA is about. Not frag popping but thinking twice.

A2 had any inertia in it's movements? Don't think so.

Smookie said that he wanted to change somethings regarding the sprint funcionality; no sharp turns, limited lateral\diagonal movement; I can see the animations that metalcraze is talking about there, but besides this, not so much.

Anyway, it's an Alpha :)

Anyway, it's an Alpha :)

That's a statement that is used quite often, and it is applicable in many way. However, we don't know whether it is a "feature" or a "lack of a feature because it's alpha".

Take the gear selection during briefing. It's not there. Intentional? Probably not, and I am quite sure that it will be added. However, there is no way to be sure. Same with inertia. As long as there is no definite statement "we're going to add it", people have two options:

1) Don't say anything and hope it will be added, because "it's and Alpha"

2) Point it out.

At least in case 2, nobody can say "why didn't you complain earlier". Without a definitive statement of the opposite, it's better to point out the things that you think are wrong.

Positive thinking, knowing that Devs have an eye not only in this thread (or last pages of it) but also in the dedicated to movement.

No, it never was a problem of Arma 2. Inertia is a physical fact, and any attempt to deny its existence is not going to make a game more realistic. Seeing people do 90 degree turns at full speed is as immersion-breaking as ping battle tanks.

"Don't contradict me, that's off-topic".

Omg lol, rly, where did You read that? We are all off-topic here :P, it all should be in different topic ... oh and btw. I didn't say it was a bad thing! Read! I totally agree that we need some inertia, i loved arma 2, but it's a VERY dangerous thing to do now. I'm not talking about sprinting, I'm talking about holding guns and aiming.

Take the gear selection during briefing. It's not there. Intentional? Probably not, and I am quite sure that it will be added. However, there is no way to be sure.
I'm going to reinforce this one; all the concern stems from the fact that the devs seem to tend towards vague as hell when speaking up at all, and in particular on gameplay specifics -- just look at how quickly "TOH FM is still in" got qualified-though-not-outright-rolled-back... I wonder if this is in reality because there isn't a dev consensus/final decision, or in order to hedge bets and not risk having to make a retraction in case a planned implementation doesn't work or in case of eventual overruling-from-higher-up by not making promises in the first place?

Heck, RiE's post three days ago at the bottom of page 504 is the closest we've gotten to a recent remark on the whole "accessibility/console shooter" deal... though as creative director, that is right "in his lane". :p And his stance there is consistent with his own remarks around this time last year.

(The stance seems to be "there's a core to Arma that distinctly separates us from COD, and 'accessibility' means pruning away what we consider to be 'not core', which will help our game appeal better to people who are transitioning", pretty akin to what PurePassion said.)

but it's a VERY dangerous thing to do now. I'm not talking about sprinting, I'm talking about holding guns and aiming.

What's so dangerous about it?

That it will drive away people who don't want a simulation in a simulation game and want to score leet killstreaks? They never were the target audience to begin with.

It's not like anyone wants there to be any inertia when you turn around normally with a light firearm. But with MGs, launchers and sniper rifles? Yes please. Because that's the issue with them in reality too. They are heavy. That's why snipers and MGs don't run around in combat doing 360-noscope instead deploying the weapon under some bush. Which is actually on-topic about 'balance'.

Edited by metalcraze

I hope that they will add inertia - I hate to see how AI is now sprinting and stopping instantly. Also instant 90 degree turns doesn't look and feel right.

I hope that they will add inertia - I hate to see how AI is now sprinting and stopping instantly. Also instant 90 degree turns doesn't look and feel right.

Wait what, stuff like this never affected AI but only the player... am i wrong?

Wait what, stuff like this never affected AI but only the player... am i wrong?

I really think you are right on this..

If anyone remembers the address of the CEO's personal blog you will find a new screenshot of Altis ;)

If anyone remembers the address of the CEO's personal blog you will find a new screenshot of Altis ;)

For those of us who don't remember please postthe link.

And if we don't :P?

Edit. Bloody hell, can't find it. Could You post the link to the screenshot? ;]

Edited by Byku

Are you looking at something big or is it something humblr? ;)

Are you talking about the flash/TI gif that was posted 2 months ago?

Are you talking about the flash/TI gif that was posted 2 months ago?

Probably just the pic of the new fog system, posted 1 month ago.

Quote from the SITREP #00012

Meanwhile on Development branch itself, you will start to see a small but cool content addition for the Alpha. We are going to be staging our "Sniper Package" there. It is to be included in the Alpha update after the one tomorrow. The package contains a sniper / spotter duo for BLUFOR and one for OPFOR. Both will have an improved ghillie suit and anti-materiel sniper rifle with standard optics. At their disposal as well is a portable rangefinder. We will not actually announce this addition widely until we release it into main branch, but we're sure you'll be able to find them in the editor sandbox - look for moving shrubbery!

GM6 Lynx incoming? :cool: Awesome news!

As with all of our previous games, we will definitely return to the free game space with a demo after full release.

I'm pretty sure this baby is coming for us :)

Lol, it'sn't Christmas ! Good News !

Edited by F27Sharps

It isn't Christmas, but i'm just as happy as if it was.;) Keep it coming BI

It's also a definite date on when the Alpha Lite codes expire as well as how exactly their removal is happening (removal from Steam Libraries and not just "no more invites").

Quote from the SITREP #00012

The sniperrifle that they released to day, wasn't a GM6 Lynx?