Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Really looking forward to the new content that will be released in the near future. The jets will be a welcome addition hopefully they tweak the Aircraft model like they did the helicopters.

They will probably do it.

One thing I wonder however:

they say they'll rework the radar and target system for jets, but I assume it will be the same for the choppers, right?

they say they'll rework the radar and target system for jets, but I assume it will be the same for the choppers, right?

Honestly I wouldn't know I would think so. Doubt there would be anything wild like DCS type Targeting pods or anything. But again to early to tell.

Well considering you config radar and targeting all the same I presume it will carry over to all air vehicles. 

Well considering you config radar and targeting all the same I presume it will carry over to all air vehicles. 

That's what I thought ;)

i hope they add a advanced flight model to the Jets, and more use for controls inside the jet, eg radars/screens. im assuming these Jets are going to be futuristic so might even have some new technologies, guided bombs, stuff like that. a co pilot would also be cool for something like that.  

They are talking about Air to Air combat in the roadmap, I'd not expect to see new bomb types. (We already have guided bombs anyway).

We already have the zodiac, the sdv, the armed patrol boats, the divers...

Plus, helicopters and planes are more useful than ships.

Transport, cas, support, recon...

Naval assets will just be on the sea, off shore, doing... nothing but standing there.

Concerning the boat you show and the patrol boats, they already exist.

It's just I dunno how naval assats will improve the gameplay.

Yea naval assets would be useless unless it somehow adds to the infantry gameplay.

All in game aspects should revolve around infantry first.

All in game aspects should revolve around infantry first.

AFAIK, that's how the game is made, the game is focused on infantry and vehicles are only support for them.

Yea naval assets would be useless unless it somehow adds to the infantry gameplay.

I really really disagree with this statement.

Naval assets have several uses that complement infantry gameplay, although in the roadmap they are very specific about combined arms focus.

Transports such as landing crafts are similar to transport helicopters in concept (ferry something from A to B ), they have the problem that they don't go as fast and can't land inland (for obvious reasons), however they can carry things that helos can't, such as tanks and other bulky equipment, or alternatively tens or hundred of troops (the LCU-1600 series is rated to carry 400 troops). Good luck loading an Abrams on your CH-53.

Big static platforms like amphibious ships (think of the LHD in CUP/A2) are extremely useful as off-shore bases to launch missions. Considering most arma terrains are islands or have bodies of water, having a place to use as staging area is an exceptional addition. Combined with landing crafts they allow you to deploy literally anything on the ground.

As a mission maker i felt the lack of such things tens of times, having to scrap good mission concepts because i had no place to start from, or no way of getting what i needed to the ground.

Combat vessels such as frigates and destroyers also work as fire support platforms like any piece of artillery, with the side benefit that a single frigate basically does the work of three howitzers combined, plus AA screen, plus launch/recovery of helicopters/assault crafts.

If you want to go on a smaller scale, the golden standard today is the Strb-90/CV-90 which carries tons of small arms AND 21 troops (that's more than most vanilla helicopters can carry).

So yeah, there's lots of potential in this, if the Orange DLC is actually about naval assets (which i think it is btw).

• Like 6

Well, we'll see.

But I still disagree about the fact that naval is really needed.

Short of transporting vehicles from 1 island to another, there is no use.

It will just be useul as a taxi between 2 islands, but nothing more.

Once it reaches the shore, it becomes useless.

An helicopter can't carry a tank, that's ok, but it can transport troops, provide support (ammo, small vehicles, etc...), provide air support with the FFV, achieve recon mission, etc... just for 1 transport helicopter.

Much wider range of missions than a boat.

Well, naval assets can be used as pretty backdrops, so we get rid of empty harbors.

:627:

• Like 1

Naval warships can serve roles as artillery (these days mostly Cruise Missiles) and anti-air defence (their primary purpose in most current conflicts). However ships of those sizes are simply impossible in Arma 3 - they are larger than any buildings, but would have to have realistically modelled interiors and there are just too many engine limitations that would need to be fixed (moving in vehicles etc).

At the other end of the scale, we're pretty well covered for small boats - patrol craft, rhibs etc

What's possible but currently missing is any form of landing craft, whether it's boat or hovercraft. Yes vehicle, that serves no purpose once it's offloaded (same with a truck) but not every vehicle needs to have a combat role. A lot of new mission scenarios would be possible with amphibious assaults that include large scale infantry and vehicle landings.

i reckon your pretty spot on, i would not be surprised futuristic large hovercraft, i want to see some sort of large aircraft carrier. but with the state of the game engine, i dont see it possible or playable in arma 3 without a lot of work done to the engine and the models.

I think Chairborne nailed the need for Naval assets. This is seen with all the attention around the excellent work done on Nimitz and the constant discussion around a working LHD.

Look at the number of people who have asked for the ship to be released separately from the Spanish forces mod. A naval platform that takes advantages of the full arma 3 engine which reflects the modern navy's of the world would round out Arma 3.

Just because some players don't make missions which are launched from the sea doesn't mean there aren't a lot of mission makers who would like to :)

• Like 6

Sounds like the new Enfusion engine is not until Arma 4, although 64 bit could bridge the gap in the meantime.

This makes a lot of sense when you consider the ambitions/differences in Enfusion 'versus' Real Virtuality 4, i.e. DayZ's Brian Hicks talking about "legacy SQF (which will die a horrible death with the merge to Enforce Script)"...

• Like 1

I just have to wonder if any of the available maps between A3 and CUP are actually large enough to support jets and naval properly.

I don't pretend to know one way or the other. It's just they all feel too small to fly at supersonic speed and hardly any has enough water to feel like it would provide much strategic use for for naval assets aside from just being a glorified dock and asset carrier (not that it wouldn't be cool to have a naval base. It would!). Would naval battles between two ships make any sense on any map in the game right now? Honest question because I have no clue (I'm no war expert).

And what about most of the airstrips in the game? Would they even be long enough for a jet to touchdown properly?

I just have to wonder if any of the available maps between A3 and CUP are actually large enough to support jets and naval properly.

I don't pretend to know one way or the other. It's just they all feel too small to fly at supersonic speed and hardly any has enough water to feel like it would provide much strategic use for for naval assets aside from just being a glorified dock and asset carrier (not that it wouldn't be cool to have a naval base. It would!). Would naval battles between two ships make any sense on any map in the game right now? Honest question because I have no clue (I'm no war expert).

And what about most of the airstrips in the game? Would they even be long enough for a jet to touchdown properly?

Full blown naval warfare, most likely not.

Naval assets as support for ground units (like a CAS plane), they're workable.

• Like 2

Anybody understand how exactly enfusion changes animation system?

No, but it would be amazing to get info on that. I'm also hoping somehow the new Dynamic Shadows make it into RV4. Would be nice for light not to shine through rocks, terrain and buildings anymore. So we could actually hide in dark corners. Though, i'd think that porting over the animation system would be too much, considering how far we are, and heck, just recently, updates have been messing up the current animation system.

Anybody understand how exactly enfusion changes animation system?

I would suggest to keep an eye on the DayZ Standalone development and their devblogs. They are in the process of implementing a new animation system and it is very likely that we will see this system (or an adaptation of it) in future ARMA games.

• Like 1

If they went with improved naval aspect, they *could* carve some rivers or smaller waterways into Tanoa. Really a crying shame that the island only has open water, river insertion with jungle missions would be so cool

• Like 1

If they went with improved naval aspect, they *could* carve some rivers or smaller waterways into Tanoa. Really a crying shame that the island only has open water, river insertion with jungle missions would be so cool

They probably won't change existing maps, it could break too many community scenarios.

There would be no need. The maps are fine and are already well designed as to be able to support Naval Assets, especially Tanoa. Being able to cordon off some Islands not connected by bridges, or transport supplies via. boat when no aircraft are available to sling load/VVT for example, would work as intended without the needs for potentially ruining a map. Would be cool if BI made another jungle map with rivers and ocean inlets however. 

They will probably talk about the radmap, the new shadow texture and that squirrel.

They will probably talk about the radmap, the new shadow texture and that squirrel.

Shadow texture?