Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

X64 exe's means no more 2 or 4 gb memory cap?

That's the very least we can expect from the 64bit port, but there's also the potential for some performance increases depending on the engine's usage of certain C++ features. The removal of the memory cap would in theory allow for better performance itself because that memory can be used to cache more, but if Arma 32bit is going to remain available, I can't see them wanting to maintain two very different codepaths so again, don't expect anything too dramatic although we can hope.

Let's wait for the 64bit clients before we get too excited though. Whatever gains we actually get, this is a good thing.

• Like 1

This. Arma has always been centered on infantry with other branches of the armed forces as secondary. Artillery long has, has recently, continues to and will always be an infantryman's worst nightmare. Given the size of most maps in Arma I'm amazed that mortars and artillery don't feature more often. For example, I'll never forget the time that I had to call in an artillery strike on a position ahead of me in the excellent fan-made A2 campaign 100 days. I checked my map, sighted my compass, re-checked my map and then radioed in my coordinates. I then waited nervously as the enemy moved and we took fire. Then suddenly I head a distant CRUMP and watched as the opposite side of the valley began to erupt in tiny explosions. I was so scared that I'd got the coordinates wrong and that I'd end up shelling myself. I felt an odd cocktail of satisfaction and remorse. Now imagine the stress if you were at the controls of your mortar and dialling in these settings using analogue controls!

Amen.

A revamped artillery system especially for what is probably the best fit for the scale of Arma , mortars and light howitzers would be far more satisfying is if were player aimed and controlled using analog adjustments.

While suggesting that this be 100 percent true to life in its use is not realistic having it be far more complex than clicking on a map would add so much depth to the game.

On the other side of the token a counter to artillery could be fantastic with deploy-able counter battery radars giving you map coordinates of where suspected artillery fire came from with the closer the artillery the more accurate those coordinates are.

• Like 1

Kinda sad how tank dlc is the last, as I really don't like playing with jets and stuff, but still very happy it's on the roadmap at all.

Impressed by the extent and  timeline of Arma's future for sure. Curious about the Tac Ops and almost feel like that should be done first in terms of functionality. Speaking of which, as cool as tanks, jets etc are Infantry are still not done. Ive been messing around in Farcry3's editor alot lately just to gauge and compare unscripted AI and they definitely offer something Arma's Ai sorely need -life. Meaning they quick react, if a car is bearing down on one they dodge, and their use of cover is top notch. Next and more important are variety of animations and secondary banter, it just brings a much more visceral firefight when different guys are doing different things. The next is their AI navmesh which allows them to not only go anywhere but can limit them safely on rooftops etc without fear of just walking off. Without question Arma3's cqb has improved lightyears past OFP, but would hate to see it's state considered settled. Also have to note that Farcry's AI do lack in many other things that ARma excels at such as distance fighting which just doesnt exist as well as the vast AI control we have in terms of waypoints , squad command, high command etc..

That brings me to the SP campaign. Well what can I say, I raged hard on the MP aspects of Apex so am very happy and grateful to see this trajectory shift. Im hoping for the above changes and animation additions to give us a 'real change' in storytelling as well as some more heroic scripting for the AI. When we ask for a more competent AI, often the answer is "well script it" and Im throwing that right back in your face "show us how its done!" :P

As sour lemons as ive been -am very, very grateful again for this great series and game that is more like a lifestyle than anything else.

Frogspeed!

• Like 5

Very curious to hear more about this TacOps - has a Ghost Reconesque ring to it. So could be special forces with better AI team management, or cool stuff like that

And thumbs up for Apex SP, Tanoa interiors. A bit on the fence about Jets (islands too small) and tanks are not my thing.

Sounds like the new Enfusion engine is not until Arma 4, although 64 bit could bridge the gap in the meantime.

But all this will create/need a cascade of engine improvements which is really awesome, especially as it sounds as if SP and thereby AI will get attention

Good stuff altogether, BI !

-OP

• Like 3

Nice to see some future plans, kudos to BI :)
Arma 3 is still selling well, it's nice to see active support and engine improvements 4 years into the game's life.

I'm no coder so sorry for the question. Why would 32 bit even be an option after the switch? Can certain systems only run the 32 bit exe?

While all CPUs made in the last ~10 years are 64bit, old operating systems like Windows XP are 32 bit only. There are also potentially some confused users with 64 bit CPUS using 32 bit versions of Windows 7+.

64 bit programs tend to have larger memory footprints and usage, which could cause problems and/or worse performance for some/all users. 

For what it's worth, Arma's sibling VBS went 64 bit only in December 2015, although 64 bit VBS was created to allow larger world size (I have no idea how performance compares).

• Like 1

As said here here

I wonder what they will do to port AP into SP campaign.

I'm no coder so sorry for the question. Why would 32 bit even be an option after the switch? Can certain systems only run the 32 bit exe?

You need a 64bit operating system. 7.5% of Steam users still use a 32bit windows, so they wouldn't be able to play anymore unless they switch to a 64bit os.

Anyway dunno if they only changed it recently, but minimum requirements for Arma 3 on Steam say windows 7 64bit.

• Like 1

I'm excited for this tank DLC... As much as Arma is an infantry simulator, I've fallen in love with the armor branch and definitely would like to see implementation of that particular combat arm into the game in a more meaningful way. There's definitely a lot of capacity for tank improvements that would really mesh well with infantry.

Anyway dunno if they only changed it recently, but minimum requirements for Arma 3 on Steam say windows 7 64bit.

I hope it stays. If you're a serious gamer in 2016, you had better get on a 64bit OS.

ArmA should've went 64bit back in ArmA2. Now we're seeing these memory issues (3fps glitch) tank the game.

Malden eh? Will Robert Hammer (correction: Senator Robert Hammer according to the news reports in Apex) be making a cameo appearance?  :D

Either way, can't wait for the SP Apex campaign.

Malden eh? Will Robert Hammer (correction: Senator Robert Hammer according to the news reports in Apex) be making a cameo appearance?  :D

Maybe lol

I did wish to see official Adjustable NV and TI just like in VBS because this automatic adjustment doesn't work correctly

• Like 1

I haven't done one single mission yet from Apex (as an SP player); man I was right to wait! ^^

I can only say that BI seems to have made their homework. Great roadmap.

• Like 1

I haven't done one single mission yet from Apex (as an SP player); man I was right to wait! ^^

The coop version with no respawn and only medic revive is quite challenging too ;)

• Like 1

Sweet, can't wait* :yay: A nice surprise to see Malden rising again, would be even greater to see Everon as well, but any OFP map is a good one, either way. :D

I would reeeeeally would like to see them looking a little bit on injuries and the medical aspect of ArmA. Perhaps for another time :rolleyes:

*(even though I don't have a proper computer at the moment <_<)

• Like 1

I predict A4 as OFP revival game on its 20th birthday.  :ph34r:

• Like 4

COLD WAR!!! YASSSSS

• Like 1

Hum... Nostalgia would approve it, but it wouldn't be that cool because we already know everything about it.

I need new content and missions and campaigns.

• Like 1

Well i'm hyped for more DLC but i'm also interested in this:

"We’re also looking beyond Arma 3. Indeed, some of the team have already moved onto new projects in support of the development of our next engine, 'Enfusion'."

Makes me wonder what could be coming in the more distant future :)

Well i'm hyped for more DLC but i'm also interested in this:

"We’re also looking beyond Arma 3. Indeed, some of the team have already moved onto new projects in support of the development of our next engine, 'Enfusion'."

Makes me wonder what could be coming in the more distant future :)

Arma 4 :D (Arma 4 : Black Flag? Arma 4 : Modern Warfare? )

ArmA 4 in 2019?

1lmh

Anyway, I hope to see some French assets in ArmA 3.

After all, we've got nice gear and vehicles :P

You know, if they want to add a specific army it would probably be either the Dutch one, or the Cz one ;)

You know, if they want to add a specific army it would probably be either the Dutch one, or the Cz one ;)

They already added the Cz one in the ArmA 2 DLC ;)

I was more like one or two new assets based on the French ones.

Like the Rafale in the Jet DLC or the Leclerc in the tank DLC :)

Or maybe the Caracal as new transport helicopter.

EDIT:

BTW, I guess they'll add some new achievements