Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

From the article, I noticed a few nice things to come:

more familiar / modern-day armaments (what player were waiting for)  B)

Familiar modern and "Near Future" armaments and weapons. I'm pretty sure we won't see old fashioned M-4\M-16's. Hopefully something more modern and probably my guess would be systems currently in development by various nations, and to be in service sometime in the coming years. At least that's what I see as Modern weaponry.

Well it sounds nice but i keep my expectations very low - if we get a proper shotgun and maybe a custom AK weapon - it would be nice to see those

there are tons of weapons to choose from like the newest CZ806 Bren 2 heh

There are an extraordinary amount of weapon systems to choose from. From East to West to Central Asia, to South America. Everyone developing all sorts of firearms and weapon systems these days. China has their QBZ97(T97), and QBZ03. Mexico and Brazil are both developing their own, Israel has at Ace Series mix-mash. The CZ would also be a very nice choice. Magpul Masada needs a comeback. Ak12, other in development weapons... Jeez, there's a lot, and that's not even touching on much. Though, i would expect BI to choose weaponry based on Geographical information.

Did I read right that there will likely be server browser improvements :o Finally! Also weapon changing and Coop Campaign sound good.

---------------------------------------------- NEXUS ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alongside these refinements, Nexus Update includes new End Game instances and extensions to the mode's functionality. Our objective is to create a solid basis for future MP content, using this mode to optimise shared systems, identify performance bottlenecks, and validate improvements in other areas, such as AI, audio, and animations.

So I'm guessing that new End game instances means that they will build Group management and other scripted system in engine.Not sure how they plan to extend game mode functionality yet.

Solid Future MP content sentence explains that they will keep improving net code, finding fixing bugs and so forth as they were and are doing.

Improvements such as AI, audio, animations - pretty plain probably smaller changes - to plain explained to know.

Complementing this development, we'll deploy a foundation build of ‘Arma 3 Units', a web-based service that connects players with communities. We aim to improve the discoverability of the range of groups / play-styles out there. We'll shed more light on this venture nearer Nexus Update's launch, due later this year.

Web based service for finding right communites and clans sounds amazing though!

Darn those simple explanation, I would love to see specifics! :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope the new campaign won't be meant to be coop.

I fear, if they make coop, that the player will allways be team leader and will have to manage the AI all the time...

Nice, a new campaign! I was looking forward to that, as they never mentioned it! :)

"Apex" - sounds a bit like the end of A3 development is approaching, isn't it? :D

Nice, a new campaign! I was looking forward to that, as they never mentioned it! :)

"Apex" - sounds a bit like the end of A3 development is approaching, isn't it? :D

You wouldn't be wrong.

Ah, the new roadmap! I guess Nexus and Eden are going to be free updates rather than DLC, as there's no real content mentioned that would justify a DLC charge (unless it's missions)?

Still, you get the feeling Arma 3's life is going to be much longer than Arma 2, as the time between initial release and expansion release will be around 3 years compared to Arma 2's 1 year. If there's an Arma 4 in the works, it's probably still several years away.

Awesome news! I really hope BIS doesn't completely ditch the awesome future setting. It'd also be pretty cool if they could add onto the previous game's content, perhaps even in a free update! Stuff like the Fateh rifle (modular Iranian AR) would definitely be welcome!

What do you guys think the VTOLs?LSVs are going to be? Probably V-22s or V-280s, maybe F-35s too, and something like a DPV or RSOV for LSVs.

Awesome news! I really hope BIS doesn't completely ditch the awesome future setting.

Future setting...

Future setting...

Future setting...

I'll have you know, it's Modern. The only thing "Future" about Arma 3 is the date, 2035.

As for the VTOL, i don't mind. V-280 Valor is what i'd love to see. It looks like a Modern Aircraft designed by someone who knows a lot about Aerodynamics... Well, because it's exactly that. They also mentioned Fast Attack Craft. So i imagine a handful of useful Amphibious or dedicated systems that are rugged and robust. Attack boats and Ultra Light Combat vehicles, which would be a must have. If you want to have the edge in the jungle, you must be fast at the right time. Steady and paced at other times. It's going to be interesting to see what BI do with what they have to work with, and how much level of detail they put into this new, interesting setting.

With Tanoa, a co-op campaign, and new vehicles, weapons, and characters at the heart of our official content, we're aiming to dig into the theme of near-future combat, expand our line-up of more familiar / modern-day armaments, and introduce new vehicle classes, such as VTOL aircraft and Light Strike Vehicles.

Music to my ears.

But I seriously hope that these new assets don't fall into the copy-n'-paste, or rather the "OPFOR can reverse engineer everything!" trap again. You'd think that CSAT being a super-prosperous Chinese-led alliance would have both the money and R&D capability to make their own hardware instead of copying the same tech that the now-backwards West uses all the time...

• Like 2

"expand our line-up of more familiar / modern-day armaments"

I hope to see HK416 / HK 417 :)

I'm not the only person that can imagine a huge fight at Bohemia about why they cant call it Arma3 Splendid?  :P  :P  :P

Have sold 2 million copies.

Am interested to know what projections were for copies sold, back in 2012-2013.

this update was awesome. co-op campaign. so needed. Slightly less modern weapons. so good. even 20 years from now there'll be AKs, etc.

can't wait to put some cash down on Apex...

Related to this, so-called 'hit reactions' by both players and AI were a bit exaggerated and, as you might have noticed, not the nicest in the world. Thanks to community veteran Andrew Gluck's proposal and Radko's work, we were able to take away a little of the ridiculous flinching and add a little blood and clarity. This will not only reduce unwanted animations for AI / players when fired upon, but also introduce a new visual feedback mechanism for players to tell whether their shooting was successful or not.

http://dev.arma3.com/post/oprep-core-mechanics-refinement

While i dislike the new fatigue system , at least they will improve the hit reactions and Blood

http://dev.arma3.com/assets/img/post/images/OPREPCore_HitPoints_2.jpg

http://dev.arma3.com/assets/img/post/images/OPREPCore_HitPoints_3.jpg

• Like 1

Oh f*ck yes on that blood.

Should have released that today to blind our eyes to the stamina atrocity..

@twisted: *ahem* AK-12s, if only because those are on track to be adopted... though the "future" thing is hilarious (in a sad way) when you remember how much of the hardware IS real, much less in service. Then again, some people's definition of "future" is "not a M16 or an AK", or when told that something exists the definition changes to "not in service by the US"... go figure.

The new hit detection seems promosing although still no word on bullets not penetrating launchers and weapons? I was playing some KoTH today, found myself running into a guy with a Navid, emptied half a mag of 5.56 before I died. I'm pretty sure his over sized machine gun stopped all my bullets...

Also more visible hit feedback on models is cool, but again nothing on the lack of visual feedback the bullet you miss leave. Again on KoTH was doing some sniper gameplay with a buddy spotting for me, and neither of us could see my bullet land... Blastcore fixes this, but well can't use it on pub servers.

And not a single word on DX12 or further optimizations of this ancient engine...

If they really wanted to realistically overhaul the medical system they'd add a feature where you could randomly twist your ankle on a rock and go on profile for three months.

If they really wanted to realistically overhaul the medical system they'd add a feature where you could randomly twist your ankle on a rock and go on profile for three months.

Why can't there be a middle ground solution? Why does it have to be either retard-proof with magic wheel mouse medication or full blown virtual pushups realism?