Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

I always confirm if i see something, it was not the To-199. Trust me, i know the difference. xD

Gripen%201_zpsr2enuc49.png

Enhance...

gripen%202_zps6yp0pmoy.png

And to be honest, the JAS-39 Gripen would be an ideal choice of a multi-role fighter given the geography of Tanoa, similar to Brazil in a way, capable of taking off and landing on short runways, very agile for Air to Air combat, Also capable of hundreds of other load-outs for missions ranging from precision strikes, COIN, so on, so fourth. 

Nah , i doubt we will see a Gripen in A3 - because A3 devs don't want those fast jets in the game

Looks like it's just some promotional artwork from the Czech Air Force (who use Gripens). You can see the Czech roundel on the tail.

They may have just got it when they were making the ACR DLC, along with those posters from ÄŒeska Zbrojovka.

Nah , i doubt we will see a Gripen in A3 - because A3 devs don't want those fast jets in the game

Pretty much this -- the closest we've ever had to "high performance fast air" in Arma have been the Su-34 (the only "more than two SRAAMs" jet) and the To-199, both of which tote mostly A2G loadouts, while the only primarily air-to-air loadout in the series... is on a trainer-based light attack jet.

That, and unless Bohemia finally turned to an engine-supported service menu solution you won't be seeing customizable loadouts anyway, just more preset loadouts in the same style as the Buzzard (which admittedly doesn't go the two-airframe route like the AV-8B did).

I bet we'll see more VTOLs. F-35s (gib pls BIS), V-22s (I hope they're "stealthified", they look badass like that.) and that odd tilt-rotor in the dev diary.

Well, funny thing is BIS have the F-35 (X-35 just for the sake of realism), the Su-34 in Arma 2. Both of those aircraft are supersonic capable, but yet only did so when having dived from a few thousand feet. In Arma 3, the To-199 can also go supersonic, in the same respect, diving down. Only problem is pulling out before your either forced to eject, or smash into the ground and no one will be able to understand where that crater came from. RIP.

On a more serious note, BIS could add in any jet they want, while keeping it up to Arma 3 Standards. They could add in a J-31, or Gripen, and just because it has afterburners in real life, doesn't mean that it will have it in game. Also, i think some of the BIS Audio Dev's mentioned something about Sonoic Booms for aircraft way into the future. Not to be confused with Sonic Cracks, i don't think we'll see that feature anytime in Arma 3 unfortunately.

• Like 1

I bet we'll see more VTOLs. F-35s (gib pls BIS), V-22s (I hope they're "stealthified", they look badass like that.) and that odd tilt-rotor in the dev diary.

I think that too. Probably with some amphibious stuff. Kind of a shift to a more Marine Corps enviroment, which BTW would make sense in Tanoa.

I think that too. Probably with some amphibious stuff. Kind of a shift to a more Marine Corps enviroment, which BTW would make sense in Tanoa.

This got me the most.You know the whole deal about how NATO forces on Stratis and Altis were rag tag US Army Engineers and such. Well, why the fuck was Sargent Conway of all people eager to hit up the South Pacific, him being in the Army, i would expect the South Pacific to be the domain in which the Marine Corps Dominate. However, i don't know much about Army and Marine Corps operations in the Pacific theater.

This got me the most.You know the whole deal about how NATO forces on Stratis and Altis were rag tag US Army Engineers and such. Well, why the fuck was Sargent Conway of all people eager to hit up the South Pacific, him being in the Army, i would expect the South Pacific to be the domain in which the Marine Corps Dominate. However, i don't know much about Army and Marine Corps operations in the Pacific theater.

They'd be whatever Bohemia said they were. :P Especially when that "NATO" (again, based on the use of an eight-man squad/section, seemingly Army and not US Marine Corps-based) had the amphibious armor in the base game. Although, that isn't unheard of... heck, the Australian Defence Force, Indian Armed Forces, and Japanese Self-Defence Forces still have yet to stand up a marine corps in our timeline, be it as a distinct branch (US, South Korea) or part of the navy (almost everywhere else), instead centering their amphibious infantry force around Australian Army, Indian Army, and Japan Ground Self-Defence Force troops respectively.

That being said, in retrospect I wouldn't be surprised (considering that the Task Force Aegis table of organization (T/O) is the only AAF force structure chart I know of) if what passes for an amphibious capability in the "battalion-sized" Altis Armed Forces is both part of the army and designed around thwarting any attempt by the FIA at "anti-access/area denial" (A2/AD) with regards to Stratis.

I really hope Tanoa has rivers. I feel like that is what prevented scuba to be significant on altis and stratis. It would permit more dynamic missions where a team can swim behind enemy lines. As well as make assault boat employment much more dynamic. Think of haw sweet it would be to replicate that famous scene from "Act of Valor"

Please make the relationship between land and sea more interesting!!!

Hopefully there are rivers at all, but DnA (the project lead) ruled out flowing rivers earlier this year. Then again he didn't guarantee ponds, and whoops modders achieved those (albeit only after unspecified fixes by devs).

I wonder if the Mangrove swamps one of the Dev's mentioned is connected to main water source, and leads somewhere inland. This i would hope for as well. But, who knows.

I wonder if the Mangrove swamps one of the Dev's mentioned is connected to main water source, and leads somewhere inland. This i would hope for as well. But, who knows.

Aren't mangrove swamps located in the seashores? 

From Wikipedia:

Mangroves are various large and extensive types of trees up to medium height and shrubs that grow in saline coastal sediment habitats in the tropics and subtropics

In the first presentation video, you could see trees in some of the island coasts.

Aren't mangrove swamps located in the seashores? 

From Wikipedia:

In the first presentation video, you could see trees in some of the island coasts.

Probably. There was a screen of it somewhere. But i wonder if they'd add more, the map is only the basic shape, meaning there's lots more fine tuning to do. I would expect Tanoa to have some form of inland water, given the geography. We'll see at some point though.

Yeah, I'd be more than happy with anything that brings water inland to create more options. I just feel that naval assets and diving are really limited, with the latter just being a flavor of infiltration more than a game-changing mobility choice in specific scenarios. mangroves would be awesome and I personally wouldn't mind rivers that do not flow so long as they're a part of the terrain. Moreover, they would present unique tactical situations where utilizing a mobility element for flanking purposes would not be an option.

Looks like an M72 LAW to me, the tube is kind of thin and i think i spot the tailcap hanging down from the launcher.

There is an OFP-style optic model for it in weapons_f.pbo, not to mention that the RPG-42's CfgPatches name is called A3_Weapons_F_Launchers_LAW. Also the original storyline involved Greece, and the Hellenic Armed Forces do still use the M72.

So perhaps before the setting changed, the M72 was to be in-game but eventually scrapped in favour of the Alamut?

There is an OFP-style optic model for it in weapons_f.pbo, not to mention that the RPG-42's CfgPatches name is called A3_Weapons_F_Launchers_LAW. Also the original storyline involved Greece, and the Hellenic Armed Forces do still use the M72.

So perhaps before the setting changed, the M72 was to be in-game but eventually scrapped in favour of the Alamut?

Could have been the case, although I wouldn't be surprised if its scrapping was due to the 2012-2013 reboot's trashing of content. Admittedly the Alamut (as a renamed RPG-32) feels appropriate for the new setting's OPFOR -- it'd be too implausible for them to be still fielding RPG-7s in 2035 when more recent RPGs have been proven effective against modern armor even in "rebel" hands.

Could have been the case, although I wouldn't be surprised if its scrapping was due to the 2012-2013 reboot's trashing of content. Admittedly the Alamut (as a renamed RPG-32) feels appropriate for the new setting's OPFOR -- it'd be too implausible for them to be still fielding RPG-7s in 2035 when more recent RPGs have been proven effective against modern armor even in "rebel" hands.

Eh, it depends. A lot of people will be using this stuff until stocks run out. There are a lot of RPG-7s kicking around. Some people still make them. If they're cheap and they work, someone'll be using them.

Granted, you're right: the OPFOR as a "professional" faction would probably be using something more modern to defeat our new, exciting armor systems.

Eh, it depends. A lot of people will be using this stuff until stocks run out. There are a lot of RPG-7s kicking around. Some people still make them. If they're cheap and they work, someone'll be using them.

On that basis though I'd say that at most plausible they'd be for either guerrillas (such as whatever antecedent Bohemia had to the FIA pre-reboot) or an in-universe force that valued weight over anti-armor penetration for specialized use.

Granted, you're right: the OPFOR as a "professional" faction would probably be using something more modern to defeat our new, exciting armor systems.

Ironically the FIA (Bohemia only made the BLUFOR-aligned ones visible in the Editor but you can call the OPFOR and INDFOR-aligned ones by swapping "B" for "O" or "I" in the classnames) using the same RPG-42 Alamut for their Rifleman (AT) as CSAT, while both NATO and AAF use the PCML. Heck, seen the recent footage of what was reportedly a Konkurs (in Arma 2 under the NATO reporting designation AT-5) or a Kornet defeating an export Abrams? Reportedly used by rebels...

On that basis though I'd say that at most plausible they'd be for either guerrillas (such as whatever antecedent Bohemia had to the FIA pre-reboot) or an in-universe force that valued weight over anti-armor penetration for specialized use.Ironically the FIA (Bohemia only made the BLUFOR-aligned ones visible in the Editor but you can call the OPFOR and INDFOR-aligned ones by swapping "B" for "O" or "I" in the classnames) using the same RPG-42 Alamut for their Rifleman (AT) as CSAT, while both NATO and AAF use the PCML. Heck, seen the recent footage of what was reportedly a Konkurs (in Arma 2 under the NATO reporting designation AT-5) or a Kornet defeating an export Abrams? Reportedly used by rebels...

Yeah, I assume that the FIA is using stolen RPG-42s... Not sure why they don't have stolen PCMLs as well.

And yeah, I saw the video... Made me start to doubt branching armor after I'm done with the Academy!

Yeah, I assume that the FIA is using stolen RPG-42s... Not sure why they don't have stolen PCMLs as well.

I wish they had some stolen vehicles. During the campaign, there is plenty of opportunity to steal Iffirts or Striders. Flashpoint Resistance had it right with repainted FIA APC's and armour.

And yeah, I saw the video... Made me start to doubt branching armor after I'm done with the Academy!

Thinking to be save inside a tank is quite foolish... You are much safer if you don't feel save as well. Not beeing in a war is the only real solution however.

on topic: Thanks for the Terrain Processor BI, looking forward to trying it out.