Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

2 questions:

Will BIS be present at the GamesCon and / or the Paris Games Week?

Do we have any clue about when we will have more infos about the expansion?

You can safely bet on their participation at the Gamescom.

About the Paris Games Week I don't think they will be there. It's not a huge event compare to E3 or the Gamescom.

That's my 2 cents of course.

Tanoa definitely looks multitudes better than Altis IMHO.

Dunno. Except for the huge crater it looks kinda boring to me. Probably also because I am not a huge fan of jungle and stuff.

Also I can't stop thinking about me not seeing anything in the forest, but the ai spots me a mile away.

Edited by Lexx

Hmn, I wonder if BIS is going to make AI react terrain-specific: Say, as it is right now for Altis and Stratis, and per optional stuff, for Tanoa..

Otherwise AI might be caught in the open, and infamously just stand there, doing nothing, whilst player is within range of 100 meter or less. :P

Ah well, only time will tell.. But I too fear the worst. Better to expect less, then too much from BIS these days. Atleast, it seems they're working on something AI related. (I hope!)

Hmn' date=' I wonder if BIS is going to make AI react terrain-specific: Say, as it is right now for Altis and Stratis, and per optional stuff, for Tanoa..

Otherwise AI might be caught in the open, and infamously just stand there, doing nothing, whilst player is within range of 100 meter or less. :P

Ah well, only time will tell.. But I too fear the worst. Better to expect less, then too much from BIS these days. Atleast, it seems they're working on something AI related. (I hope!)[/quote']They've been working on AI from the start -- and suppression is currently AI-only -- but you can keep an eye on the Development Branch Captain's AI Log for particular highlight items,

I expected something like china, korea or japan...where new conflicts rise. Not a huge fan of jungle map. Reminds me of Vietnam War era or maybe Crysis.

I am sure we will see similar factions as in Harvest Red...US Marines two or three local forces (like NAPA, CDF and CHEDAKI), CSAT ( some chineese units) and of course civilians...also pretty sure we will see somekind of AK inspired rifle

The backstory says about the island being popular in "traficking" and things like that,so i bet one or more factions can be smugglers,pirates and so on.One i assume will be rebels or guerillas for sure.I want to see civilians not only roaming the island but some civs to play a more vital role in your campaign like informants or HVTs and so on.So the rest two Big factions,well guess who they are because.....

In Developer's Blog about the reveal of Tanoa says at some point: "In 2035, Tanoa continues to enjoy a prolonged period of apparent peace and prosperity, but the volatile geopolitical situation on the world's stage threatens to destabilize the region, and plunge it into darkness once more."

My guess...It's in the same universe as the East Wind.

Agreed, I could see it being like the Somali pirate intervention at present but in a Pacific setting, then CSAT turns up and the plot unfolds. Lots of naval activity, but in terms of combined operations rather than huge naval battles. Probably missions heavily reliant on scripted scenarios. I am very open to be surprised by a female lead character though!

Agreed, I could see it being like the Somali pirate intervention at present but in a Pacific setting, then CSAT turns up and the plot unfolds. Lots of naval activity, but in terms of combined operations rather than huge naval battles. Probably missions heavily reliant on scripted scenarios. I am very open to be surprised by a female lead character though!

Well in the South Pacific islands next to the Malacca strait is where more pirate attacks happen in the World nowadays.

In that area there's also a big presence of Islamic guerrillas (like in Aceh).

Close to there you also have most of the disputes of the South China Sea (which would probably end in a PLA intervention, represented inside CSAT in the Armaverse).

I can see then different small factions fighting each other (as BI said in the show).

That terrain formed by different small islands close to each other, it's not the best for big naval battles (modern naval battles take place at hundreds of kms of distance), but for combined arms amphibious operations (kind of WW2 Marines assaults).

So basically it will be the best place for infantry fighting and amphibious assaults (helos, amphibious armor, divers, small ships, etc.). And the icing of the cake is the different industrial areas showed in the video, that will lead to crazy urban combat.

Hmmmm they maybe going for some kinda Bougainville like backstory.

Nowadays, Tanoa thrives off rich deposits of rare earth metals exported the world over, but controversy and civil unrest have long surrounded these efforts due to the perceived social, economic and environmental impacts of their exploitation.

Thats kinda sounds allot like the Bougainville Civil War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bougainville_Civil_War

That's a possibility, given BIS's liking for PMCs and the fact that one or more PMC factions were part of the planned assets back when the game was announced. If a campaign is included, it might focus on some kind of PMC story involving the mining operations and a local rebel faction. Those are the missions I'd have in mind anyway.

I expected something like china, korea or japan...where new conflicts rise. Not a huge fan of jungle map. Reminds me of Vietnam War era or maybe Crysis.
Besides what others have explained, not only are Tanoa's islands more topographically diverse than just jungle but the "South Pacific" is a more foreseeable flashpoint by real-world standards than northeast Asia, again due to the South China Sea (SCS) disputes and other recent naval moves. (Trying to think of particular northeastern Asian flashpoints beyond the Diaoyu/Senkaku islands...)
The backstory says about the island being popular in "traficking" and things like that,so i bet one or more factions can be smugglers,pirates and so on.One i assume will be rebels or guerillas for sure.I want to see civilians not only roaming the island but some civs to play a more vital role in your campaign like informants or HVTs and so on.So the rest two Big factions,well guess who they are because.....

In Developer's Blog about the reveal of Tanoa says at some point: "In 2035, Tanoa continues to enjoy a prolonged period of apparent peace and prosperity, but the volatile geopolitical situation on the world's stage threatens to destabilize the region, and plunge it into darkness once more."

My guess...It's in the same universe as the East Wind.

Occam's Razor would dictate that an Expansion campaign be a sequel to The East Wind anyway (I believe that Moricky's Eagle Wing has been the only explicitly non-canon story to date other than one of the two endings to Private Military Company), and the idea of informants playing a more vital role... reminds me of how Bohemia was planning some degree of character interaction in the campaign that was replaced by The East Wind, presumably above and beyond the overheard hub chatter and scripted conversations of The East Wind. Unfortunately I'm not sure how compatible the idea of a 4+-faction conflict (such as this) is with the so-far-as-anyone-knows-hardcoded "side" system, since we can't do armed Civilians.
That's a possibility, given BIS's liking for PMCs and the fact that one or more PMC factions were part of the planned assets back when the game was announced. If a campaign is included, it might focus on some kind of PMC story involving the mining operations and a local rebel faction. Those are the missions I'd have in mind anyway.
I can see this working as well considering that non-Anglosphere "PMSCs" (not just personnel from non-Anglosphere countries) have been a thing for years even in our timeline, much less the Armaverse by 2035, and questions can be posed in a campaign as to how "private" or "for the highest bidder​" such companies really are... heck, Google the "Slavonic Corps" and you'll find a... unique (or is it?) story about a supposedly-Hong Kong-based PMSC with Russian personnel.

I don't think we'll have a female lead anytime soon in ArmA games but there is potential for female NPCs,civilians and as i mentioned before female guerilla soldiers.We might as well see a female leader of the guerillas or at least a high ranking female close to the leader.

I don't think we'll have a female lead anytime soon in ArmA games but there is potential for female NPCs,civilians and as i mentioned before female guerilla soldiers.We might as well see a female leader of the guerillas or at least a high ranking female close to the leader.

Inspiration for the team:

http://i.imgur.com/6MtWsCn.jpg (303 kB)

Inspiration for the team:

http://i.imgur.com/6MtWsCn.jpg (303 kB)

*Rolls eyes*

Of course someone had to throw in a staged photograph of a model with a gun.

On a more serious note, i wouldn't mind civilian females, that's fine, combat females, not so much. Then again, of course it won't stop someone from putting gear on a female to begin with... so technically, they should just add in females. Not sure though, as i've yet to see actual female gamer's touch Arma 3 at all. So erm... I don't know. I'm indifferent about the whole female characters thing.

Honestly though,, i'd rather them add some actual much anticipated content and features first before anything else. They should be in crackdown for assets for the Expansion in a few months once they've finished the actual map first. There's still much to be done on that front, but i'm truly excited, with 1 year's wait time, i'm expecting a REAL "Expansion". And given that it's no typical DLC, i expect to see at least 4 new features, besides the water reflection of course, along with the large amount of assets. I just hope the features are something that will be super useful.

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

i've yet to see actual female gamer's touch Arma 3 at all

Because everybody knows they are mithological creatures no one has ever seen. :^)

My previous, very small community had not one but two female players, and i don't remember them ever complaining about the fact no females were in game.

p.s. the thread just reached 1000 pages, let's party! :cool:

*Rolls eyes*

Not sure though, as i've yet to see actual female gamer's touch Arma 3 at all. So erm... I don't know. .

uuuh, hi?! :D

uuuh, hi?! :D

Well, that's one. Haha, to be honest, the most i've ever run into female gamer's, would be on ARK, but like, idk. It's rare.

Back on topic, given that Tanoa was captured by the allies during WWII, i would expect those living there to be a mix of Japanese, and something else, plus possibly some Europeans living there also. Given it's in the Pacific, it's 90% chance that the PLAN/PLA, will be our other force, plus some guerrilla's. Of course, you can't have jungle without guerrilla's. This could make for some interesting gameplay. I reckon it'd go something like, anti-illegal arms trade operations first, and suddenly, here comes the PLA making a move to claim more islands on the South Pacific. Would make sense, there's a lot of digging tools, and the PLA seem intent on building artificial airfields in a series of islands. This could also mean Chinese transport planes =O This of course though, is just my guess. It seems the most logical, given the location.

Well, that's one. Haha, to be honest, the most i've ever run into female gamer's, would be on ARK, but like, idk. It's rare.

You haven't played much online then. Most of my female friends play video-games, my wife for example is addicted to all possible Zombie Games in the market. :P

to be fair, i'd kind of like it to be the PLA, i agree with your idea that perhaps it would be good to see a sort of anti illegal arms trade and perhaps drug trafficking, and perhaps the PLA get involved, either to take more land for their population which has grown so much that the country has turned to almost total political instability OR as another player in the quashing of the illegalities taking place, but the three parties clash.

to be fair, i'd kind of like it to be the PLA

I personally would rather be one of the guerrilla factions, like in OFP:R. So you have to use your brain more with limited resources.

And that the missions were a bit like the first part of the A3, so you could have a base and choose weapons, stuff, move around. Etc. Take advantage of the Arma engine.

Edited by MistyRonin

if tanoa is a solomon/like island for me is Australia / Indonesia factions involved in a cold war for some resources, in solomon island is more Maori than Oriental people

CSAT vs SEATO (ARMA 3 become a BULLPUP heaven)

Edited by Zukov