Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Part of me thinks the island ties more in with gameplay than just location. Altis/Stratis are huge and serve the combined arms game-play well. I think we will be exposed to the more "daring" side of BIS - as Altis/Stratis proved to be a difficult time for the company and staff and i don't expect they want to touch geo-specific 1:1 terrains any time soon.

I hope they let their hair down and offer us good assets for future community terrains and focus on exploring guerrilla style game-play or survivalist elements.

Part of me thinks the island ties more in with gameplay than just location. Altis/Stratis are huge and serve the combined arms game-play well. I think we will be exposed to the more "daring" side of BIS - as Altis/Stratis proved to be a difficult time for the company and staff and i don't expect they want to touch geo-specific 1:1 terrains any time soon.

I hope they let their hair down and offer us good assets for future community terrains and focus on exploring guerrilla style game-play or survivalist elements.

I politely disagree.

One of the main reasons Altis is so good is because it's based off a real terrain, which also means there is a very high amount of detail and precision to it.

Reverting to an "artificial" map would be a big step back compared to what we have now in my opinion.

Location improved gameplay would trump even a major campaign for me. Put it like this, OFP Cold War and Resistance were epic in storytelling and immersion but now we've all seen behind the scenes so the magic can not be continued along this front. Alien (1) was amazing, Matrix (1), Jurrasic Park (1), Star Wars (Season 1) etc.... Once we get overexposed by money sequels, seen the copycats and thinned down versions, it's just not as potent. What IS potent is when new technology arrives and gives us a retelling with totally revolutionary and advanced new tech.

Bottom line, if a new landscape had higher and better detail, buildings built from ground up that AI understood and used effectively in a new manner, perhaps even zoned landscape giving AI varying behaviors based on grid - nowTHIS would be exciting imo.

I politely disagree.

One of the main reasons Altis is so good is because it's based off a real terrain, which also means there is a very high amount of detail and precision to it.

Reverting to an "artificial" map would be a big step back compared to what we have now in my opinion.

I wouldn't underestimate "artificial" maps. These have the advantage of being designed for a particular purpose from the ground up. Don't get me wrong, I love geo-specific terrains and they naturally give you a good spectrum of game play styles, but BIS may want to focus on something in particular (like they experimented with Proving grounds) now that we have Altis/Stratis to be content with.

I wouldn't underestimate "artificial" maps. These have the advantage of being designed for a particular purpose from the ground up. Don't get me wrong, I love geo-specific terrains and they naturally give you a good spectrum of game play styles, but BIS may want to focus on something in particular (like they experimented with Proving grounds) now that we have Altis/Stratis to be content with.

And what do you think is BIS' focus for this terrain?

I hope it's some more focus on combined arms/weapon systems and logistics (landing crafts and helo carriers pls :( ).

edit: nvm i read again your post before this one. i think BI has enough of dayz to worry about survival elements, i don't think they have any interest in doing the same thing in arma too.

Bottom line, if a new landscape had higher and better detail, buildings built from ground up that AI understood and used effectively in a new manner, perhaps even zoned landscape giving AI varying behaviors based on grid - nowTHIS would be exciting imo.

Couldn't agree more.

And what do you think is BIS' focus for this terrain?

I hope it's some more focus on combined arms/weapon systems and logistics (landing crafts and helo carriers pls :( ).

edit: nvm i read again your post before this one. i think BI has enough of dayz to worry about survival elements, i don't think they have any interest in doing the same thing in arma too.

Its hard to say, the first question is to figure out why they are doing this. To reward us with new playgrounds, or to promote their tech even further? - I don't think they are short of cash with the sales of Dayz... This is good for us, as we have a company who I assume are financially secure and can take risks and big R&D investments. My gut tells me that its game-play over location and that could be anything - although I do suspect it could be part of a wider "theme" pack with possibly new units and additional campaigns/content. Speaking from experience, custom terrains take a long time to make, so they must be monetising this platform with future releases I'm sure.

To be honest, i would prefer a 1:1 map. After seeing how damn good they look compared to scaled down real terrains (see Ukraine 12x12 map), but as stated, i don't think BIS is ready for that kin of detail. Maybe in the future. But, as for survival elements, they have DayZ to experiment with that all they want. That's what their DayZ player base is for. They're pretty much test subjects. For a survival game, your engine really should be built for that kind of thing. DayZ the mod showed the possibilities, they just ned to build from the ground up on that.

Now for Arma 3, we need something more feature based. Its an Infantry focused Combined Arms Military Sandbox. Meaning that Infantry is the back bone, the other things, like vehicles are assets utilized by the infantry. But i guess depending on the map, that means that there should a certain focus of course. You won't see Naval Infantry in the middle of the desert, and Desert infantry in an Archipelago... But I expect they're giving us a new map with a different focus. Features are important though. I hope they come out with a whole new set of features as we got in the first life of Arma 3. Bipods, Sling load, FFV, 3D Scopes, resting, fatigue. What should the expansion offer? More interesting features. Something that's to be used on a daily basis. The Terrain can be a reflection of this too. There is water, so make some Naval features at least, as it will benefit both Vanilla islands, and new.

I "hate" that artifical scaling aswell. Same applies to the units like tanks and helicopters... If i think how big a MBT is in RL, you can put easily like 20people in a row next to each other in front of it. In Arma maybe half of it. To bad.

See Pic what i mean: http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4012/hoxsrlgt_png.htm

Let's get this thread back to its former glory!

Original file

http://i.imgur.com/A9uJI2i.png (196 kB)

Forensic analysis

http://i.imgur.com/Pg4MYbH.png (220 kB)

Contrast and brightness edited

http://i.imgur.com/op2S1Bh.png (244 kB)

Results

The forensic images suggest that a picture has been cropped and edited with the selection tool to create a new foreground layer. In order to receive contrast between the mountain side and the sky, the picture was most likely not taken during the night. So why was the lower portion of the picture edited and not simply cut out? There are clear remains of what appears to be the ocean and two to three larger and lighter artifacts.

Let's get this thread back to its former glory!

Original file

http://i.imgur.com/A9uJI2i.png (196 kB)

Forensic analysis

http://i.imgur.com/Pg4MYbH.png (220 kB)

Contrast and brightness edited

http://i.imgur.com/op2S1Bh.png (244 kB)

Results

The forensic images suggest that a picture has been cropped and edited with the selection tool to create a new foreground layer. In order to receive contrast between the mountain side and the sky, the picture was most likely not taken during the night. So why was the lower portion of the picture edited and not simply cut out? There are clear remains of what appears to be the ocean and two to three larger and lighter artifacts.

I had spotted that the sky wasn't matching the terrain the very first time i saw it.

And for everyone who missed the presentation, here is the full E3 PC Gaming Show panel discussion

Yeah baby i knew there would be a tropical envinronment in the new terain.That jungle part looks really promising,best place for ambushes and things like that.Btw that volcano there give me ideas of the possible new campaign but i don't wanna spoil anythig so i'll leave it at that.

Did anyone else notice, at the very end of the interview: "local factions competing". ??

yup, reading lots and lots into just 3 words but.....imagination running riot right now.

Did anyone else notice, at the very end of the interview: "local factions competing". ??

yup, reading lots and lots into just 3 words but.....imagination running riot right now.

Find out what Nation is in the South Pacific Archipelago, or close by Tanoa, and Bingo.

Find out what Nation is in the South Pacific Archipelago, or close by Tanoa, and Bingo.

I'd say Australian SASR (so they can go wild on the accents again) against Chinese forces (concidering what's already in-game). :rolleyes:

I'd say Australian SASR (so they can go wild on the accents again) against Chinese forces (concidering what's already in-game). :rolleyes:

why not indonesian kopassus?

2 questions:

Will BIS be present at the GamesCon and / or the Paris Games Week?

Do we have any clue about when we will have more infos about the expansion?

Didn't someone, somewhere say it was Japanese owned at some point?

It is in the official presentation page on the BI website.

US Marines captured it from the Japs during WW2.