Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Hmm i figured the new terrain would be somewhat tropical.I wanted a snowy place but this is new kind of Terrain to ArmA series anyway so it's fine by me!Waiting for full E3 reveal to be able to say more.

To be honest, i could care less about Cold War/WW2, and Vietnam. Well, kinda Vietnam. What would be awesome? Modern Asia setting. There's something about certain Asia based geography, it may be the epic mix of water and land. However, i guess we should wait. Maybe one day we'll get something that awesome. =P
Peas in a pod, baby, at least re: an Asian setting, and Greenfist's link to the southern hemisphere theory combined with the not-too-long-ago Black Element renders lends weight to the "Southeast Asia" theory.
Let's hope for a brand new and refreshing terrain.

I guess we will not see any river or stream :(

No flowing river, anyway.
Now that I think about it, if this expansion is coming with a fully fleshed 3d editor, that means building floors will (should!) now be defined. Oh the possibilities............
Unfortunately there's been no ETA, only that the 3D editor is happening at all.

Ba news. Those stars that you guys based your evidence off of? Yeah, it appears to be just a backdrop. If you scroll up and down, it doesn't move with the picture in sync, meaning it could be any "stars" picture in the background of an edited in silhouette of the new Terrain. In other words, it's possible it's not even night sky from Arma 3 at all.

Ba news. Those stars that you guys based your evidence off of? Yeah, it appears to be just a backdrop. If you scroll up and down, it doesn't move with the picture in sync, meaning it could be any "stars" picture in the background of an edited in silhouette of the new Terrain. In other words, it's possible it's not even night sky from Arma 3 at all.

If that isn't the new terrain's night sky, why would they provide us with false information/clues? They are obviously giving us location hints for more hype

South America? Venezuela?

I say this because "South America" is listed as one of the CSAT allies and Venezuela could fit the bill for CSAT politics...

If that isn't the new terrain's night sky, why would they provide us with false information/clues? They are obviously giving us location hints for more hype

That's right, but on the other hand, they're Bohemia Introllactive. :)

Funny thing is that 2 (two!) devs even commented on the accuracy of the star simulation right after someone pointed it out on Reddit.

On the thread I linked this is suggested. Would fit perfectly IMO.

On the thread I linked this is suggested. Would fit perfectly IMO.

Unless you want to play with very low fps, I really doubt to see dense jungle in A3.

Chilian Patagonia would be great but I doubt to see huge mountains on an official map.

Unless you want to play with very low fps, I really doubt to see dense jungle in A3.

Chilian Patagonia would be great but I doubt to see huge mountains on an official map.

for me no if you don't create a huge island without sense is perfectly manageable for the engine, and of course if you load only the "expansion stuff"

DX 12 support for the expansion would be a dream come true! :cool:

But I guess I will keep on dreaming

DX12 will be something for next arma 4 heh

also guys remember the Lingor map from A2 - that had fine jungles , not huge or dense ones but it worked out just fine

Correctly if I'm wrong but I thought it was confirmed there will be no Arma 4.

Lingor was way ahead of its time. Amazing map but unfortunately didn't make it to Arma 3.

At least it depends on your hardware. I'm currently playing around with a jungle map in TB and it's pretty good playable for me and some friends had not much probs too.

http://gametwitter.de/forum/gallery/userImages/9d/143-9df5c830.jpg

http://gametwitter.de/forum/gallery/index.php/Image/117-MERCS-beta-Test/

On that campaign-yes/no subject again...

Here in this press release BI doesn't mention a campaign, but only "scenarios". Of course it doesn't automatically mean that there won't be a campaign, but normally they'd mention it if it was planned, or not?

With this expansion, the Arma 3 development team aims to deliver a completely fresh experience, featuring a new large-scale terrain, military vehicles, weapons, gear, characters, scenarios, and more.

http://www.bistudio.com/blog/bohemia-interactive-gears-up-for-e3-2015

"and more" generally means something else but not something important as a campaign.

Edited by Undeceived

Would be such a disappointement if no campaign.

Just like Star Wars Battlefront with no campaign nor space battle...

I think it's safe to say campaign is going to be there. Historically there never was an expansion without a campaign. And even 50% of the DLC have campaigns.

In their wording they have carefully avoided the C-word. So either

• the worlds biggest tease (campaign will be included but not telling)
  • OR they are working on one but are not sure they will be able to finish it in time for launch
  • OR they have decided that campaigns are so last decade

We'll see on the 17th - hopefully, it will be recorded and available for non-live watching for those of us in Europe

OP

• OR they are working on one but are not sure they will be able to finish it in time for launch

I guess hedging their bets because of how The East Wind turned out, better to delay the announcement until they're sure when it'd be ready?

True. They have said a million times that they would not tell us anything unless they were absolutely sure they would be able to pull it off. In other words, there will be an Campaign, when ever BIS decides to tell us, because they will know exactly what they plan to do, and where to go with said Campaign.

We'll see on the 17th - hopefully, it will be recorded and available for non-live watching for those of us in Europe

OP

They also didn't mention any new scripting commands or features, and I'll bet you that there will be some.

Mind you, "uncertainty over what they can actually achieve" seems to explain why we've heard almost nothing else about the Expansion. :rolleyes: But if I recall correctly, the leads had actually greenlit and been working on weapon resting/deployment for a while before announcing them?

They also didn't mention any new scripting commands or features, and I'll bet you that there will be some.
Considering that the Expansion is essentially a less-thematic DLC simply by not being standalone (that is to say, no reason not to handle it via Steam's DLC system when Arma 3 is already so wedded to Steamworks), I expect that these will be at least be in an Expansion-accompanying stable branch patch.

Sure, but they explicitly mention several big-item things, including Scenarios. But not Campaign. The plot thickens .....

We can expect new scripting commands if only because Bohemia's added some along the way even when there wasn't a directly-related DLC (and accompanying features) immediately on the way, what Bohemia hasn't mentioned (besides a campaign) is accompanying features.

We can expect new scripting commands if only because Bohemia's added some along the way even when there wasn't a directly-related DLC (and accompanying features) immediately on the way, what Bohemia hasn't mentioned (besides a campaign) is accompanying features.

Waiting for the ability for infantry to be able to pick up/drag crates and items during live during gameplay to boost Gameplay mechanics and tactics. Also the ability to walk on moving vehicles, player or AI driven, if designed for that purpose. That would be some features i'd love. Maybe even a weather feature so that maps like the Ukrainian 12x12 map can actually have proper seasons, or, all maps that could have snow during winter seasons for that matter. Only sandbox i know of where snow is not a weather option. =P