Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Well BIS already said that the expansion will be like A2 OA just it won't be standalone

so i expect to see the campaign + i would like to see the the original A3 mission design which was scrapped in later A3 development

even some rpg elemets to it , like talking to people etc

i hope they will at least say what kind of island will be used in the expansion

What was the A3 campaign supposed to look like?

Anyway yes, some background info about the factions involved and the scenario would be pretty good at this point.

They said we'd have to wait until second half of the year though, if the release was planned for the end of the year my guess is they're going to miss that window.

What was the A3 campaign supposed to look like?

You know - playing as Miller , asking people for the info and also working with this guy

there was a early alpha video about it too but i can't find it

also there was a mission selector similar to the final one used in the A3 campaign

You know - playing as Miller , asking people for the info and also working with this guy

there was a early alpha video about it too but i can't find it

also there was a mission selector similar to the final one used in the A3 campaign

Man, there is so much scrapped stuff in that video...civi clothes, priest clothes, pink buildings....

Man, there is so much scrapped stuff in that video...civi clothes, priest clothes, pink buildings....

The only things see that's scrapped was a potential dead end story line, and miller's cloths. Looks like that civilian he talked to had on current FIA clothing, of course, they turned it into a nice uniform.

The only things see that's scrapped was a potential dead end story line, and miller's cloths. Looks like that civilian he talked to had on current FIA clothing, of course, they turned it into a nice uniform.

"Potential dead end story line"? I wonder how you call the one from the campaign we finally got.

"Potential dead end story line"? I wonder how you call the one from the campaign we finally got.

"Buttering us up to sell us the expansion"? ;)

"Buttering us up to sell us the expansion"? ;)

Well I'd guess a great campaign would have been better butter ;)

Send from my tablet, so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

Hahaha... if we differentiate between gameplay and plot then the main thing we're missing plot-wise from that video is the "semi-post-apocalyptic future war" theme with Miller as the player character, while gameplay-wise I see action-menu attachment control and the talking options, though the latter looks scripted... just like both uniform swapping and satchel attaching.

Hahaha... if we differentiate between gameplay and plot then the main thing we're missing plot-wise from that video is the "semi-post-apocalyptic future war" theme with Miller as the player character, while gameplay-wise I see action-menu attachment control and the talking options, though the latter looks scripted... just like both uniform swapping and satchel attaching.

This. I mean, what we have now, is probably for the better, and at best, far better than what could have been. Though, we don't quite know that to be honest, i find it hard to believe a post apocalyptic setting from about all of the demo's and such showed off back in those days. The way they showcased the new features and gear back then didn't really fit a "Post Apocalyptic" style campaign. But rather, the presentation of gear and features felt like a walk through of things we were going to use in an actual Nation Vs. Nation conflict. Not to say that can't end up being Apocalyptic. Maybe it's just the whole "theme" of the Apocalypse has been over worn, to it's literal, ending days.

Well that could make the campaign more interesting and more alive - rather than simple missions like > go there , kill everyone = WIN

also no one noticed those bikes lol which for some reason been removed

Edited by RobertHammer

and a motorbike....

I miss bicycles.

and amphibious APC'S that actually move in water :(

I can't describe how excited i am about this "big thing" BI is working on.I believe like most of you that this is an expansion with everything,campaign,terain,vehicles,factions,equipment etc.

It's too early i think to see a new game.If the Game Over ending is canon then the campaign must be at world war 3-like mood and setting.Not post -apocalyptic but during the big war.And i would like Miller to play a big role in this.I don't wanna make spoilers so i won't say more,use your imagination!

But i suppose BI will consider Game Over ending as non-canon and we'll see something totally different.If we're all wrong,whatever this next big thing is....i'm in anyway! :)

That good enough for you?

Eh, it'll have to do. Now for the railgun tank... I saw a mod around here somewhere.

EDIT: Found it.

I can't describe how excited i am about this "big thing" BI is working on.I believe like most of you that this is an expansion with everything,campaign,terain,vehicles,factions,equipment etc.

It's too early i think to see a new game.If the Game Over ending is canon then the campaign must be at world war 3-like mood and setting.Not post -apocalyptic but during the big war.And i would like Miller to play a big role in this.I don't wanna make spoilers so i won't say more,use your imagination!

But i suppose BI will consider Game Over ending as non-canon and we'll see something totally different.If we're all wrong,whatever this next big thing is....i'm in anyway! :)

I'm still hoping they change direction and go back to contemporary or cold war era but in all honesty i don't see that happening as long as it's Arma 3.

They made a big effort to convince the community about how good this new approach and setting was (i'm still convinced it was a terrible decision but i see their point), they would be insane to waste all that and just disregard it as "non-canon" and make something entirely different for an expansion (which as the word implies it should expand what we already have, not come up with something completely different with no link to the base game).

It will indeed be expanding what we have now, as stated many times by BIS, even going into brief hints that there will be more Civilians things as well, considering there were nothing but a few cars here and there in SP. As for going back to col war... That's a done deal, it's almost done to death just like zombies. Modern twists looks to be the way things are going now. To be quite honest, as long as no more fictional vehicles and weapons show up (at least to silly extents... Stealth A-10/Chinook <.<), than i'm fine with what we get, given it's immersive enough to believe it.

I'm still hoping they change direction and go back to contemporary or cold war era but in all honesty i don't see that happening as long as it's Arma 3.

They made a big effort to convince the community about how good this new approach and setting was (i'm still convinced it was a terrible decision but i see their point), they would be insane to waste all that and just disregard it as "non-canon" and make something entirely different for an expansion (which as the word implies it should expand what we already have, not come up with something completely different with no link to the base game).

Yes i agree on this.They can change the terrain but not the timeline or the universe.This needs more vehicles,equipment,tactics to be created from 0 and it'll be much harder.It is likely to see something different in the next full game.

It will indeed be expanding what we have now, as stated many times by BIS, even going into brief hints that there will be more Civilians things as well, considering there were nothing but a few cars here and there in SP. As for going back to col war... That's a done deal, it's almost done to death just like zombies. Modern twists looks to be the way things are going now. To be quite honest, as long as no more fictional vehicles and weapons show up (at least to silly extents... Stealth A-10/Chinook <.<), than i'm fine with what we get, given it's immersive enough to believe it.

I agree on the lack of civilians and escpecially female civilians.Women need to be at the Guerilla faction as well.Whatever Guerilla faction we may have next.I know they can't be in the big armies but most of the Guerilla fighters are civilians so why not women too?

About the fictional stuff in ArmA 3 i gotta say it's closer to reality than any other game based on future warfare.It's about the design of things that makes them look real enough.Things you see everyday and things you don't.The people in BI have really put their soul in it and i'm really happy for it.

As for weapons I would like to see shot guns and bolt action rifles - in spite of the powerful weapons available in June 2015, I note that shot guns and bolt action rifles are still popular. I am sure they will be in 20 years time.

As for going back to col war... That's a done deal, it's almost done to death just like zombies.

I don't know what games you play but i don't remember the time playing an FPS/tactical shooter/combined arms set during the cold war.

In fact, the only one that comes to mind is operation flashpoint.

If anything it's rather the contrary, most gaming titles that come out nowadays have this laughable futuristic setting.

It's not like i'm going to drop Arma because of this but it's still pretty annoying.

As for going back to col war... That's a done deal, it's almost done to death just like zombies.

Zombies - yes. World War 2 - check. Vietnam - Check. Modern Warfare - check. Teh Future - check.

But Cold War? Name a few of those, because the only ones I remember that are even remotely in this area is Operation Flashpoint and the Wargame series which is a strategy game.

If anything is completely overdone, it's all the near-future stuff. Black Ops II, Advanced Warfare, Arma 3, Frontline: Fuels of War, there is a myriad of games that handle this period. The future period, just like Zombies, is a modern buzzword that has been milked to death.

In any case, though, both Cold War scenarios as well as the battlefields of today are WAY more relatable than all the future stuff, especially with abstract concepts like CSAT and non-existent weaponry. Every newcomer to Arma 2 that had played any shooter before knew what an M4 is, what an AK is, a BMP, or an Abrams. These days? Not so much. The major criticism I heard from people joining Arma 3 the first time was "I don't know what the hell that vehicle is called, but it looks like a MRAP with a gun on top". That, IMO, says a lot.

Zombies - yes. World War 2 - check. Vietnam - Check. Modern Warfare - check. Teh Future - check.

But Cold War? Name a few of those, because the only ones I remember that are even remotely in this area is Operation Flashpoint and the Wargame series which is a strategy game.

If anything is completely overdone, it's all the near-future stuff. Black Ops II, Advanced Warfare, Arma 3, Frontline: Fuels of War, there is a myriad of games that handle this period. The future period, just like Zombies, is a modern buzzword that has been milked to death.

In any case, though, both Cold War scenarios as well as the battlefields of today are WAY more relatable than all the future stuff, especially with abstract concepts like CSAT and non-existent weaponry. Every newcomer to Arma 2 that had played any shooter before knew what an M4 is, what an AK is, a BMP, or an Abrams. These days? Not so much. The major criticism I heard from people joining Arma 3 the first time was "I don't know what the hell that vehicle is called, but it looks like a MRAP with a gun on top". That, IMO, says a lot.

Operation Flashpoint, Arma 1, and Arma 2 were pretty much Cold War.

On another note, non ex's instant weaponry? All of the weaponry in Arma 3 is simply Modern Tech. That's why people don't know what it is, a lot of them don't know what exists now. There are only a handful of things BIS decided they wanted to get creative with, like some DLC weapons, and the Stealth A-10 and Chinook. Those are the things I don't quite like either, if rather just be straight up modern weaponry.

ArmA 1 and ArmA 2 being a Cold War games? - those are modern day games

I would like to see the ArmA 4 as prequel to OFP 1 or even after it like early 90's - that would be nice

modern tech or future isn't that much a joy see that again after 3 games in row

ArmA 1 and ArmA 2 being a Cold War games? - those are modern day games

I would like to see the ArmA 4 as prequel to OFP 1 or even after it like early 90's - that would be nice

modern tech or future isn't that much a joy see that again after 3 games in row

Well when you think about it, it was fairly close to modern, but had more of a feel for Cold War. Add in modern Russia now, and you'll have things you didn't see in Arma 2. The Havoc, a few different MRAP's, and new tanks, and APC's. Ak-12's are probably soon the be in the Russian Army. On the NATO side, you'd see a ton of things you didn't see in the Cold War. Mk-18 mod 1, some other advanced versions of things. But Cold War is more raw if you know what mean, like Arma 2. All the early versions of weapons and then some of their newer counter parts, most tech representative of the 2000's, perhaps a bit earlier. Idk. Its the mood I guess.