Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

i rather have not so realistic wind ballistic than no wind at all...i hope BI can overcome the performance obstacle with DX12 so we can have windage ballistic ASAP..

yeah, i know how that would end ... everyone would just shoot one bullet without adjustment ... dial it in and go from there, so , what exactly changed ?

...but then what the hell happened the other three times?

Well, one of them was writing out the aliens that were originally due to be a part of the game (and by part my understanding is it was to be a humans vs aliens confrontation in the same vein as Carrier Command).

As to the other re-writes, who really cares? We got the campaign in the end, and at least we didn't have to pay extra for it like some developers would have forced us to.

Along with wind I really hope they look into adding mil turrets.

Mil turrets would put a huge emphasis on hold overs and other wonderful things when sniping.

I don't agree with the sentiment that sniping should remain extremely easy in order to not alienate the casual players. I am of firm belief that powerful and devastating game mechanics should not be accessible and should require the player to learn and practice.

Doing the opposite I feel hurts the game, IE. Artillery computer, a hard and relatively complex real life weapon system reduced to point and click results in it being devastating and cheap thus not even utilized in pvp missions.

A player should not instantly be able to jump prone and with no adjustments hit an enemy player a 1500m simply by pressing page up a dozen or so times . At the very least a small wind reading a windage estimate and looking at a drop chart to adjust to the proper or estimated mil is what I think will help sniping in Arma3.

Forget the main stream players. Ballistic Windage for the win. However, Windage would be terrible without a mountainous and wide terrain to play with it. Lol, i was kidding about the main stream players BTW. II'm sure they'll get use to accounting for wind. However, i'm curious how they would handle Left to Right zeroing. Maybe the Home and End buttons?

Num - pad could work , 8 +, 2 - , 6 +, 4 -, all in .1 mils.

Or the arrow key could work too.

Edited by gibonez

SKS from day z to Marksmen DLC confirmed!

SKS from day z to Marksmen DLC confirmed!

Little tip, when making claims like that, post a link, or everyone's going to assume you're bullshitting.

While i agree that sniping is to simple its almost impossible to affect snipers only and not everybody else

mil turrets might prolong this for a few seconds if you are any good you will either stick to one gun and memorise the settings which is bound to happen or

zero for the middle and use mills which is what we already do when time is of the essence and nothing is change as it takes that little to memorise it, at most it

would take half an hour to adjust for most people. The only way to mitigate is to add realistic wind which is what accounts for 70% of missed shots anyway, but that gets complicated for everybody, small constant winds are simple and easy to adjust for, hence no real challenge or hindrance, but if you dial it up good shooters shoot like newbies and it gets complicated to new players. Trust me in one month if they added turrets and small winds it would be back to the same as those things arent that hard.

You want one simple way to complicate sniping that is easy to incorporate? Add inclinometers and have them use Cos() to determine their actual distance to the target.

Edit : just to illustrate Cos

Lets say I'm aiming for a solider from a mountain 1300 m away and i have to account for Cos

Cos(19) * 1300 = 1229

Cos(20) * 1200 = 1127

it may look simple but i have seen a lot of people do this wrong , even adding distance if they where shooting uphill

Edited by Razor6014

Little tip, when making claims like that, post a link, or everyone's going to assume you're bullshitting.

it's a subtle pressure ;)

Truth. No way they're adding the SKS. Lol.

As mentioned before though, adding wind should only be done if it's optimized well, that, and if we are willing to overcome the complaints.

Such as, "i shot the guy, and my bullet landed far to the left! FIX THE ZEROING, Your sights and game is now Broken! Never playing this game ever again!!!" And so on... People barley understand the basics, and when you throw in more complex and fun stuff, some just don't grasp the concept of it.

Forget the main stream players. Ballistic Windage for the win. However, Windage would be terrible without a mountainous and wide terrain to play with it. Lol, i was kidding about the main stream players BTW. II'm sure they'll get use to accounting for wind. However, i'm curious how they would handle Left to Right zeroing. Maybe the Home and End buttons?

Since when has Arma catered to the mainstream.

As mentioned before though, adding wind should only be done if it's optimized well, that, and if we are willing to overcome the complaints.

Chances are Bohemia would do just that and knowing them wind would not only work for small arms but everything from artillery to cannon fire would be affected by the wind.

The artillery being affected by wind I particuarly find appealing.

Honestly even beginners would know wind , shooting uphill and downhill requires some physics and trigonometry , and this would be easy to change as the only thing you need is to tweek the display of the rangefinders and to link the distance to the target variable.

this would likely result in complaits of " Why are my bullets going over the target ? "

you write ten times a day and the sks becomes a reality (i admit is very well made in DayZ)

Since when has Arma catered to the mainstream?

Shoot me. Because one, should never ask such a question.

Ok, but seriously, mainstream is when the only game mode that has little to nothing to do with military style game play has dominated the server lists ever since the game dropped. Not even just that, but it's almost played like an arcade now adays. So, i actually wouldn't mind wind being in at all, as long as it doesn't have a big FPS hit. Though, i wonder what will happen when we have servers running wind at either ZERO, or wind at MAX and gusts on MAX in any given direction. It' get interesting real quickly.

So, i actually wouldn't mind wind being in at all, as long as it doesn't have a big FPS hit.
This is going to be key, considering that Ghostonex cited it (or rather, not having time to resolve it before the scheduled Marksmen launch) as a reason why they didn't do it now, it sounds like such an improvement is going to be a hard requirement before they ever greenlight it...

This is going to be key, considering that Ghostonex cited it (or rather, not having time to resolve it before the scheduled Marksmen launch) as a reason why they didn't do it now, it sounds like such an improvement is going to be a hard requirement before they ever greenlight it...

I'm just curious about all the other features they have hidden on a list that aren't "greenlit". Makes a man wonder.

Shoot me. Because one, should never ask such a question.

Ok, but seriously, mainstream is when the only game mode that has little to nothing to do with military style game play has dominated the server lists ever since the game dropped. Not even just that, but it's almost played like an arcade now adays. So, i actually wouldn't mind wind being in at all, as long as it doesn't have a big FPS hit. Though, i wonder what will happen when we have servers running wind at either ZERO, or wind at MAX and gusts on MAX in any given direction. It' get interesting real quickly.

Even as much as I hate Atlis life I will admit that it is not mainstream.

Atlis life to me seems like a super complicated game mod that would make a casual gamers head explode, it has persistence , jobs, and organization.

On that last comment if they do add wind I really hope it is not optional like AFM. AFM should have been forced for everyone on every server it is a vast improvement over the normal flight model and offers more versatility.

How should wind influence the performance? It worked in ACE, it works in AGM, Advanced Ballistics, ...

Of course, the wind is the same at every part of the map and not influenced by buildings, hills and so on. But it changes the direction and the strength, and it makes shooting a lot more interesting. This would require BIS to finally implement a realistic sniper scope zeroing as well.

And I am sure that even the Altis Life boys will adapt to it very quickly, it is not so hard to understand that you have to aim to the left if the wind is comming from the left.

Even as much as I hate Atlis life I will admit that it is not mainstream.

Atlis life to me seems like a super complicated game mod that would make a casual gamers head explode, it has persistence , jobs, and organization.

On that last comment if they do add wind I really hope it is not optional like AFM. AFM should have been forced for everyone on every server it is a vast improvement over the normal flight model and offers more versatility.

It's about as main stream as you can get. Every streamer i can think of that owns Arma 3 on steam or disk, plays it. IF that's not main stream (considering it's got the attention in the millions of players), than i don't know what is. However, i agree with the wind, the wind shouldn't be optional, it's an infantry focused military sandbox. AFM should stay optional, as it was the best choice. Not everyone has a stick, pedals, and a throttle, but everyone has a mouse and keyboard.

. This would require BIS to finally implement a realistic sniper scope zeroing as well.

Even more so than wind I think mil turrets would change gameplay way more than wind ever would.

It's about as main stream as you can get. Every streamer i can think of that owns Arma 3 on steam or disk, plays it. IF that's not main stream (considering it's got the attention in the millions of players), than i don't know what is. However, i agree with the wind, the wind shouldn't be optional, it's an infantry focused military sandbox. AFM should stay optional, as it was the best choice. Not everyone has a stick, pedals, and a throttle, but everyone has a mouse and keyboard.

I had no idea Life was that popular the popularity of that mode really alludes me.

As for AFM you can fly just fine with mouse and keyboard with it on. However yes hotas would be ideal and imo that is fine you get better video cards if you want better frames, same should apply to control.

I had no idea Life was that popular the popularity of that mode really alludes me.
It's possibly the most largest "common" gameplay style besides Wasteland-style in the sense of how milsim-style scenarios vary so much, especially if the latter are tailored for specific smaller clans/communities and with videos tending to be "a specific group's playthrough of a specific scenario", although I distinctly remember King of the Hill having strong stream presence (not milsim, but at least more military-themed than Life or Wasteland tend towards).

I think the reason why they are so popular is because they don't require any sort of organization or experience to enjoy.

You get in the server, read the rules and you're good to go, you don't need to know many of the arma-specific commands.

Also lets be honest for a second, the military side of arma has no point of being played in multiplayer unless you're in a decently coordinated team.

Some people might not like to play with casuals thus they shy away from military style game modes.

I think it's the same reason why everyone wants to be the sniper.

In arma even an unskilled player can get a sniper rifle, a telemeter and get good shots on an enemy that is not aware you're even there nor able to respond effectively, whereas playing in a more offensive role requires some more knowledge like use of cover, grenades, how and when to do certain actions, etc.

Putting all of this aside, i wonder when and if BI will reveal the new medical system they announced a month ago, and what it is going to look like. :rolleyes:

I think the reason why they are so popular is because they don't require any sort of organization or experience to enjoy.

You get in the server, read the rules and you're good to go, you don't need to know many of the arma-specific commands.

Also lets be honest for a second, the military side of arma has no point of being played in multiplayer unless you're in a decently coordinated team.

Some people might not like to play with casuals thus they shy away from military style game modes.

That, and in "lone wolfing" the player's experience isn't dependent on whether or not any of their side is organized, just the other side's... but as for the rest of what you just described, I wonder if "End Game" is meant to address or even cater to "just read the server rules and I'm good to go"? Military-themed, teamwork is (supposed to be) rewarded, and you still have to be proficient at controlling your character and equipment within the Arma 3 baseline*, but not something where the mission is decided on the JTAC knowing how to give a 9-line or not, and the other two scripted proof-of-concept systems in "End Game" besides revive** don't affect said baseline either...

* Whereas a user-made mission can differ from the baseline via enableFatigue = false; or something else.

** You may have mistaken the revive system for something else...

Edited by Chortles

That, and in "lone wolfing" the player's experience isn't dependent on whether or not any of their side is organized, just the other side's... but as for the rest of what you just described, I wonder if "End Game" is meant to address or even cater to "just read the server rules and I'm good to go"? Military-themed, teamwork is (supposed to be) rewarded, and you still have to be proficient at controlling your character and equipment within the Arma 3 baseline*, but not something where the mission is decided on the JTAC knowing how to give a 9-line or not, and the other two scripted proof-of-concept systems in "End Game" besides revive** don't affect said baseline either...

* Whereas a user-made mission can differ from the baseline via enableFatigue = false; or something else.

** You may have mistaken the revive system for something else...

This. In Arma though, rewarding is more along the lines of experience of accomplishing the missions, other than getting something for it. For example, people lone wolf and get ton of kills. What ever. However, you take a group, that goes out, coordinates an attack, executes the attack, completely wipes the enemy off their feet, an then they return to base before the enemy could even effectively fight back. That's more rewarding in some peoples minds, and in others, not so much. Arma is best experienced with great team-play, and i think that's what's missing essentially from a lot of game modes.

Putting all of this aside, i wonder when and if BI will reveal the new medical system they announced a month ago, and what it is going to look like. :rolleyes:

Wait wait wait what ?

If true thank god. Single biggest flaw in vanilla arma imo. I just hope to god it has realistic injuries and bleeding. A single 5.56 round or even pistol round to an unprotected limb or organ should be life threatening.

Not to mention said feature would fix everyones complaints about weapons being weak as the medical system would complement the base weapon damage.

Considering that it would have been bigger news had it been actually announced, I deeply suspect that it's just another case of wishful-thinking mistaking of "End Game"'s revive system... :rolleyes:

In this blog entry:

http://arma3.com/news/scanning-the-horizon-arma-3-in-2015#.VQdlleHW7bU

They said:

Aside from this, our scenario designers are focusing upon basic MP gameplay systems. The goals of this work will be shared in detail along with the aforementioned 'MP mode'; in short, our intention is to experiment with new scripted solutions to common multiplayer needs, such as incapacitation and revival, with a view to building on this work with engine implementation in the long term.

So maybe this new revive system is just the first step towards something more intermediate between an alive/dead switch or being forced to use ultra-realistic modded medical systems.