Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

i have a sudden need for Khaki,Tan,and Sand variants of the LRPS ...

also bought the DLC bundle but have a lock on the weapons ... :/

steam has a problem with pre release stuff ;)

i have a sudden need for Khaki,Tan,and Sand variants of the LRPS ...

also bought the DLC bundle but have a lock on the weapons ... :/

Have the bundle also an can play but get the hex screen from time to time an got a lock out on the soflam(or whatever it's called). Linked it to my player in grp in editor to test but it won't let me access it. Seems like same thing happend first day or two of the heli dlc til BI sorted it.

now has hidden selection and shares the same textures with CSAT's uniform but the back side is still black

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-oYQB19jhZjs/VCViREt-KuI/AAAAAAAAASs/sAVEUjFxhEc/w581-h768-no/2014-09-26_00001.jpg

Oh sweet! I did not know that. Could you please explain to me how hiddenselections works or point me to an explanation?

And when I meant they fixed it up I meant brought it into line with other vests in regards to capacty/protection/weight etc.

I really like the different camoflage variants for the new suppressors (Black, Green, Tan, etc.). I really wish that they would do this for all weapons and accessories; but that isn't likely seeing as they would be pretty much doing it for free. A "Desert" Katiba would be pretty badass though.

Edited by Gutsnav

I agree. They need two more 7.62 suppressors, and a tan and green khaki 5.56 suppressor. My favorite as of now is the EMR Khaki, with my soldier wearing all Sage items. Fit's really, really well.

Sage Loadout

http://cloud-2.steamusercontent.com/ugc/543020833350532684/C3730BA26089CB9E947B318121D1F9740C3C2188/

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/543020833350534863/244A8EC159919BB58A6E7F360B5702D6291614CD/

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/543020833350553348/681BE3BEA85203B2C4117D6B768D227E5B34ECDA/

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

In the latest OPREP Cyrus has the wrong description (same as Kir)

Edit: Has been fixed. I'm happy to take all the credit and whatever BI usually pays their lector.

Edited by Wolfenswan

In the latest OPREP Cyrus has the wrong description (same as Kir)

Thank You for pointing that one out, it should be fixed by now, by the proper text. Don't be afraid, there is no bouncy inconsistency :icon_twisted:

Also from said OPREP:

WINDAGE

In truth, simulating wind-affected ballistics is not the most complicated task; the real struggle comes with the way gameplay is affected by it. Little details like counting how much a bullet is affected at what speed become irrelevant very quickly. The reason is probably surprising to most looking at the company from the outside. How would we tell the player how strong the wind is? By some gadget, one might say, yes, but what if you don't have the gadget? How would you tell the player the strength of wind? Wind is so natural to people - you can feel it - but this feeling is something we can't put into the game. We also considered showing the strength of wind by particles raising up at the target you are aiming at. We had several ideas but we hit a big wall during the process.

That wall is performance. Especially in MP it would be hard to measure, show and compute all the necessary 'helpers'. Our timeframe is limited and the gameplay value is very uncertain because it would make long range shooting much harder than it is. And considering Arma already has a pretty steep learning curve, it could drive away some people that would like to enjoy the game as it is. Some people might say it could be a game option, but should we clutter the game options even more? These questions are very real and very important to us. There are too many questions that don't have very clear answers. That is why we decided not to add this feature to the Marksmen DLC. We are still positive that these can be answered, and with a not-significant amount of time, resolved.

CHAMBERING

This was another topic that we brought up in the pre-production of Marksmen DLC. However, there is one simple fact that we can't be oblivious to: weapons in Arma are merely 'shapes'. That means they contain no information about the magazine or ammunition in them. The implementation of such feature would require vast amount of time and effort and - since we already planned big features that you can enjoy (deployment, recoil overhaul, resting, audio overhaul and some basic changes to suppression) - we put the effort and gain to scales and decided to postpone this feature. Much like windage, it is not impossible to do, but again, the balance of effort to value was very disproportional - so we made a decision.

Though I find it funny that the OPREP attributes the "EMR-1" to a reshaped SIG 556 DMR with custom muzzle brake and stock when its look is actually "naturally" in line with a SIG DMR (i.e. in ways that didn't necessarily originate entirely from BI artists).

Also from said OPREP:
WINDAGE

In truth, simulating wind-affected ballistics is not the most complicated task; the real struggle comes with the way gameplay is affected by it. Little details like counting how much a bullet is affected at what speed become irrelevant very quickly. The reason is probably surprising to most looking at the company from the outside. How would we tell the player how strong the wind is? By some gadget, one might say, yes, but what if you don't have the gadget? How would you tell the player the strength of wind? Wind is so natural to people - you can feel it - but this feeling is something we can't put into the game. We also considered showing the strength of wind by particles raising up at the target you are aiming at. We had several ideas but we hit a big wall during the process.

That wall is performance. Especially in MP it would be hard to measure, show and compute all the necessary 'helpers'. Our timeframe is limited and the gameplay value is very uncertain because it would make long range shooting much harder than it is. And considering Arma already has a pretty steep learning curve, it could drive away some people that would like to enjoy the game as it is. Some people might say it could be a game option, but should we clutter the game options even more? These questions are very real and very important to us. There are too many questions that don't have very clear answers. That is why we decided not to add this feature to the Marksmen DLC. We are still positive that these can be answered, and with a not-significant amount of time, resolved.

CHAMBERING

This was another topic that we brought up in the pre-production of Marksmen DLC. However, there is one simple fact that we can't be oblivious to: weapons in Arma are merely 'shapes'. That means they contain no information about the magazine or ammunition in them. The implementation of such feature would require vast amount of time and effort and - since we already planned big features that you can enjoy (deployment, recoil overhaul, resting, audio overhaul and some basic changes to suppression) - we put the effort and gain to scales and decided to postpone this feature. Much like windage, it is not impossible to do, but again, the balance of effort to value was very disproportional - so we made a decision.

Though I find it funny that the OPREP attributes the "EMR-1" to a reshaped SIG 556 DMR with custom muzzle brake and stock when its look is actually "naturally" in line with a SIG DMR (i.e. in ways that didn't necessarily originate entirely from BI artists).

Emphasis mine. That's some not-so-subtle hinting that we could see these features in the expansion. :)

Emphasis mine. That's some not-so-subtle hinting that we could see these features in the expansion. :)
Haha, while that is true I can't help but feel that those paragraphs specifically exist because of those who would rather the Marksmen DLC release be delayed in order to coincide with when those features would be available, a fundamentally different stance from "add it at a time coinciding with the Expansion". That is to say, based on what prior devblogs said it wasn't ruled out for "ever" but definitely was for April 2015... but presumably they view the idea of delaying the DLC to coincide as merely "moving of the goalposts"?

After all, considering all the "delay Arma 3 so that it's not Steamworks!", "delay Arma 3 so that the SP campaign is included", and "delay Arma 3 so that <insert feature> is included", I can't help but think that the devs have seen it all before already...

After all, considering all the "delay Arma 3 so that it's not Steamworks!", "delay Arma 3 so that the SP campaign is included", and "delay Arma 3 so that <insert feature> is included", I can't help but think that the devs have seen it all before already...

Only that this hardly ever happens. Why would amybody ask for delays in the DLC when the appropriate feature can and will be added later and is mostly unrelated.

And for the record, what DID happen eith the campaign delay is that the apologists justified it with "I'd rather have a good campaign later blah blah blah". I don't believe there was many asking for Arma3 to be delayed, the bitching was more like " why is the campaign not finished yet blah blah". Which makes much more sense.

Especially considering that BIS surprised me a lot when they continued to work on the game even after said campaign was finished.

Send from my tablet, so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

Ok guys, here is a big news about the expansion :

http://arma-france.com/en-interview-petr-kolar/

Probably end of the year but most likely 2016 :

PK: Definitely, we want to release the Expansion when it’s done. Obviously. As Jay already mentioned in his devblog, we Scanning the Horizon aim for this year, but it may possibly slip into the next one. However, we will keep everyone updated

Only that this hardly ever happens. Why would amybody ask for delays in the DLC when the appropriate feature can and will be added later and is mostly unrelated.
I've already seen it on these forums with windage, and you're the one who's finding the "the appropriate feature" more unrelated than they do, though I'd actually be agreeing with you on that count and I found Ghostonex's explanation quoted above to be a reasonable one.
And for the record, what DID happen eith the campaign delay is that the apologists justified it with "I'd rather have a good campaign later blah blah blah". I don't believe there was many asking for Arma3 to be delayed, the bitching was more like " why is the campaign not finished yet blah blah". Which makes much more sense.
While of course we don't know what the campaign would have been like had they just shipped whatever was done by 12 September 2013, it is admittedly disconcerting to read (via the interview that Wiki linked before this post) that the SP campaign was started from scratch four times...

...it is admittedly disconcerting to read (via the interview that Wiki linked before this post) that the SP campaign was started from scratch four times...

To be honest I took that to be a good thing. I thought it meant that BI actually cared about the end result, and ensuring it was good enough to release, rather than the age-old "it compiles, lets ship it" method other developErs mAy use.

To be honest I took that to be a good thing. I thought it meant that BI actually cared about the end result, and ensuring it was good enough to release, rather than the age-old "it compiles, lets ship it" method other developErs mAy use.

Amen!

Caring about the end result was a given, but we could infer by the mere fact of the SP campaign's omission at launch that at some point dev leadership determined that the SP campaign progress by 12 September 2013 couldn't even meet "it complies, let's ship it" standards (i.e. just including at launch whatever was done by that point) -- swapping out the entire backstory and plot on account of the Greek incident explains at least one of those "from scratch" do-overs, but then what the hell happened the other three times?

you know, that'd be really good. im really looking forward to the marksman dlc, but these features seem to be part and parcel of longer range shooting. yes this isnt about mad long distance sniping, but they are a big part of shooting (especially wind) and to have them out seems to lessen things. and BIS makes good points as to why they may not be incorporated at current moment, but still.

Edited by twisted

Forget the main stream players. Ballistic Windage for the win. However, Windage would be terrible without a mountainous and wide terrain to play with it. Lol, i was kidding about the main stream players BTW. II'm sure they'll get use to accounting for wind. However, i'm curious how they would handle Left to Right zeroing. Maybe the Home and End buttons?

the new expansion should have a good multiplayer not this orrible mess

Forget the main stream players. Ballistic Windage for the win. However, Windage would be terrible without a mountainous and wide terrain to play with it. Lol, i was kidding about the main stream players BTW. II'm sure they'll get use to accounting for wind. However, i'm curious how they would handle Left to Right zeroing. Maybe the Home and End buttons?

This is the thing with wind .. if it where to be implemented properly ... everyone would be bitchin about the wind , and if you arent bitchin about the wind its not simulated properly

first of it would push your gun around + weapons sway .. bottom line is your barrel is a lever and the wind is applying force to it

so aiming would get difficult

second wind is rarely constant , its either has random intervals which you can predict based on your intuition by sound and force .... that is not easy to simulate, or it switches direction or both,

and thats just on your side where it has most effect on you aiming and almost none on the bullet flight path .... so all these wind readings on your exact location go to the toilet as they do nothing for the flight path.

The wind you need to read is at the peek of the bullet flight path and while you can read the average of the wind you will still need to dope it as it changes direction and strength every second . You end up needing a spotting scope with the ability do dial it back so you can see the mirage.

Second thing is the terrain, it always has a big influence on the wind it can shelter your bullet flight path form wind , forrest as well break up the wind and give you an edge as if they are near the flightpath they can shelter it from wind part of the way, or they can also deflect the wind in part and create a small vortex on the path .

If you read this the sense that the wind is a little devil that can rarely be predicted and turns good shots with all variables to nothing by changing in one split second you are correct. While i understand the need to challenge yourself in long shots you also need to know if wind is ever to be implemented the worst case scenario should always be that you cant even make a 100 m shot with a 50.cal .

Edited by Razor6014

i rather have not so realistic wind ballistic than no wind at all...i hope BI can overcome the performance obstacle with DX12 so we can have windage ballistic ASAP..