Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Welp, at least this will be our final hope for more Naval assets.
Underwater assets anyway... I've long ago resigned that surface assets of the sort people think of by "Naval assets​" are just not an official priority.

Underwater assets anyway... I've long ago resigned that surface assets of the sort people think of by "Naval assets​" are just not an official priority.

Depends. How would you get a tank across 2 islands when a bridge is down, too heavy for Helo's? Maybe a landing craft of some sort. Or what about somewhere you can land your Helo at sea. Idk i'm thinking out of the box, but it's hard to think of something more that could be used underwater. We have Seal Delivery Vehicles... Not much of a real presence on the surface if you ask me. However, i think for the expansion, it was mentioned that civilians were sort of a focus, so we could see small cargo/patrol ships and such. hat gets me though, is wondering how much water there is. I might be slightly over eager.

However, i think for the expansion, it was mentioned that civilians were sort of a focus, so we could see small cargo/patrol ships and such. hat gets me though, is wondering how much water there is. I might be slightly over eager.
Well yeah, "not much of a real presence on the surface", because for 10+ years it's been CRRCs & RHIBs and nothing about the A3 maritime lineup even indicates interest in attempting to change that dynamic...

I can envision something along the lines of Arma 2/my LHD's "ship as infantry/helicopter platform" (just the thing for the archetypical "boarding mission") and indeed, add/change LODs on the Trawler and we'd be in business... but what I figure I can expect out of this team only goes so far.

I'd love to see some sort of off-shore platform eg: Oil Rig similar to how the LHD was off-shore on Utes.

As for naval vessels, as much as I'd love to see something like a small patrol boat they would need to ensure that there is some sort of stablisation on the weapons as using the GL or rear gun on the current Assault boats is near impossible when not stationary.

I'd love to see some sort of off-shore platform eg: Oil Rig similar to how the LHD was off-shore on Utes.
Which really is the only way that I can see the devs treating "big ships", except the LHD was basically built into Utes like a "metal mini-island"...

Which really is the only way that I can see the devs treating "big ships", except the LHD was basically built into Utes like a "metal mini-island"...

Even if they just went developed something similar to the USS Wasp LHD and allowed users to place it at will in the editor but have it completely stationary would be fantastic. Operating rotary-wing with the AFM off the deck of an LHD on a new Pacific Island themed map (which I reckon it is, Asia somewhere to fit the storyline) would be great.

Exactly. What i envision is more along the lines of player controlled assets. A small/medium ship with one heli pad for the size of something like say, an MD-900 size. A few guns, or one cannon that can act as a mortar is needed. However, a small patrol boat wouldn't need stabilization for it's guns. It's big enough to where it wouldn't be rocking back and fourth like the small gunboat. If they worked out the LOD's more to enable people to walk around and do things like on most modded ships, of course to an Arma 3 standard, it would be amazing. But, back on topic... I guess we'll see. So much potential, still un-tapped.

Arma 3 badly need naval assets. i loved to play around with submarines and frigates on Gnt_Waves in arma 2. We need some quality stuff for A3 aswell. The Only ship with a high quality as a mod in A3 sadly is a WW2-Era battleship that has no point in an A3-ish setting, although the mod itself is spectacular.

More Naval Assets! o/

I'd prefer some larger amphibious assault ships or helicopter carriers, something we could use as bases at sea.

Even if they just went developed something similar to the USS Wasp LHD and allowed users to place it at will in the editor but have it completely stationary would be fantastic. Operating rotary-wing with the AFM off the deck of an LHD on a new Pacific Island themed map (which I reckon it is, Asia somewhere to fit the storyline) would be great.
You were saying? ;)

Sure they're mods, but mine's exactly what you're describing (J0nes' iteration builds on that with extra features) and I believe about as close as possible to how BI would have done it. Problem is, I have heard of sometimes issues if an Editor-placeable LHD is placed at an angle, but I'm not aware if the devs actually know how to fix that... which may be why we got the terrain-integral Khe Sanh.

What you were saying would be "fantastic" would be all that I think the devs would do... not more than that.

Exactly. What i envision is more along the lines of player controlled assets. A small/medium ship with one heli pad for the size of something like say, an MD-900 size. A few guns, or one cannon that can act as a mortar is needed. However, a small patrol boat wouldn't need stabilization for it's guns. It's big enough to where it wouldn't be rocking back and fourth like the small gunboat. If they worked out the LOD's more to enable people to walk around and do things like on most modded ships, of course to an Arma 3 standard, it would be amazing. But, back on topic... I guess we'll see. So much potential, still un-tapped.
So basically the "metal mini-island" but with guns attachTo'd or otherwise on the flight deck, still stationary? Because I imagine that you're thinking something along the lines of the Mk V SOC (the CB90 is smaller) but short of the Cyclone-class.

Thinking back to "a small/medium ship with one heli pad"... unfortunately the only time I recall that in Arma at all was with the IMG Marine mod's Luxury Yacht, which I ballparked at ~30 meters long, but its helipad (basically xH-9/MD 900-sized) is elevated over the main deck(s) with a stairway towards the bridge deck. In contrast, going by a quick Wiki glimpse almost every active "smaller" warship with a heli pad is similar in length to Gnat's Fast Sea Frame (lowest I've found was a Danish patrol vessel as low as 71.8 m) so depending on what you mean by "small/medium" -- and what armament it might have if any -- we might be looking at a pretty niche thing...

You were saying? ;)

Sure they're mods, but mine's exactly what you're describing (J0nes' iteration builds on that with extra features) and I believe about as close as possible to how BI would have done it. Problem is, I have heard of sometimes issues if an Editor-placeable LHD is placed at an angle, but I'm not aware if the devs actually know how to fix that... which may be why we got the terrain-integral Khe Sanh.

What you were saying would be "fantastic" would be all that I think the devs would do... not more than that.So basically the "metal mini-island" but with guns attachTo'd or otherwise on the flight deck, still stationary? Because I imagine that you're thinking something along the lines of the Mk V SOC (the CB90 is smaller) but short of the Cyclone-class.

Thinking back to "a small/medium ship with one heli pad"... unfortunately the only time I recall that in Arma at all was with the IMG Marine mod's Luxury Yacht, which I ballparked at ~30 meters long, but its helipad (basically xH-9/MD 900-sized) is elevated over the main deck(s) with a stairway towards the bridge deck. In contrast, going by a quick Wiki glimpse almost every active "smaller" warship with a heli pad is similar in length to Gnat's Fast Sea Frame (lowest I've found was a Danish patrol vessel as low as 71.8 m) so depending on what you mean by "small/medium" -- and what armament it might have if any -- we might be looking at a pretty niche thing...

Small is basically about the size of the Mk V SOC, which, by the way, incorporates some of the finest LOD work. Even if BIS were still refraining from using some sort of enhancement to allow player movement on a vehicle that is in motion, i would be more than extremely happy to be able to walk around and do things at sea while it's temporarily stationary. I'm sick of static. Now in regards to Medium, i'm talking about twice the size of the Mk V SOC. Large would be the Fast Sea Frame, and the LCS mods. Anything bigger than a destroyer wouldn't really be ideal. I don't see a problem with anything smaller though, the biggest vehicle in the Arma series in the past i believe was the C-130, which is fairly big. I don't see a problem with having Naval Assets that are large, and capable of certain features, as long as it's not over kill. Not sure about a player derivable LHD, may be a bit too big, but i wouldn't be against them adding in a Modern LHD as a static prop much like the Submarine is.

Also, to straight forward response of ship size, look at the ports all around Altis and Stratis. Then, ask yourself, why are the ports big enough to accommodate decent size ships when the base game holds no such assets capable of filling that port. The expansion, in my opinion, is the last hope for such belongings.

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

Pacific confirmed

Where? By whom? :D

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

Small is basically about the size of the Mk V SOC, which, by the way, incorporates some of the finest LOD work. Even if BIS were still refraining from using some sort of enhancement to allow player movement on a vehicle that is in motion, i would be more than extremely happy to be able to walk around and do things at sea while it's temporarily stationary. I'm sick of static. Now in regards to Medium, i'm talking about twice the size of the Mk V SOC. Large would be the Fast Sea Frame, and the LCS mods. Anything bigger than a destroyer wouldn't really be ideal. I don't see a problem with anything smaller though, the biggest vehicle in the Arma series in the past i believe was the C-130, which is fairly big. I don't see a problem with having Naval Assets that are large, and capable of certain features, as long as it's not over kill. Not sure about a player derivable LHD, may be a bit too big, but i wouldn't be against them adding in a Modern LHD as a static prop much like the Submarine is.

Also, to straight forward response of ship size, look at the ports all around Altis and Stratis. Then, ask yourself, why are the ports big enough to accommodate decent size ships when the base game holds no such assets capable of filling that port. The expansion, in my opinion, is the last hope for such belongings.

Sahrani has large ports but A1 had no big ships, so it's not really relevant.

I think small assault crafts and MAYBE some sort of patrol vessel would fit well enough a game like this.

Huge ships (the ones you see from the community) usually feel very awkward to play with.

I don't know, i don't imagine myself playing naval warfare in Arma but rather have them as fire support like a mobile artillery piece of sorts, if anything.

If you do big ships then you have to put in game specific anti-ship components and make changes to the engine as well (i'm thinking specific radar equipment, anti-ship assets like helos and missiles, etc), then adjust physx so people can move on said moving ships without clipping through everything and dying, which is probably the biggest issue.

terrain-integral Khe Sanh.

how to work? is it possible for a more big carrier like forrestal or essex?

how to work? is it possible for a more big carrier like forrestal or essex?

Of course it's possible, as long as you do it the same way as the nimitz and the LHD, no problem.

It's just going to be static though (you can't get in as driver and move it).

http://resources21.kb.nl/gvn/KONB06/KONB06_0183_X.JPG

Dutch Vs. England!?

Neatherlands Expansion confirmed. (Jk, though i swear these little vacation notes are hints somehow)

Hm, there are four exclamation marks and five question marks. That is one question mark more than exclamation marks. Four minus one is three. HALF-LIFE 3 CONFIRMED!

So, with the incoming sniper DLC, do we have any info about new optics?

Something for infantry like EOTech + Magnifier x3 ?

Would be Nice to have it!

So, with the incoming sniper DLC, do we have any info about new optics?

Something for infantry like EOTech + Magnifier x3 ?

Would be Nice to have it!

I don't know how useful that would be, since the engine can't handle the flipping as far as I know.

Yay!

Engine could support it - it would need to make the proxies animatable then adding few anim sources

that way it could work - http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=5323

I guess it might even work without, the same way that crosshairs for step zoom work - allow us to specify a secondary model in the config for the different states. Much like MRT does but without extra classes.

I would prefer the animations but I don't think we will get an image able attachments any time soon :(