Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

It has been "stealthed" like the other NATO air assets (but the little birds)

Well it could be pretty "easy" for BIS to do that , like on this pic - name it MH9X

Well it could be pretty "easy" for BIS to do that , like on this pic - name it MH9X

Too bad they didn't do it

I don't know if you guys have noticed this, but it seems rather exciting that the ramp at the back of the new Chinook is down. Take a look.

That is fairly intriguing, maybe it raises when in flight? If so, it would be nice if this was applied to the Mohawk as well. that's one of the things that bug me about the Mohawk is that even though it has a ramp, which is way more convenient for ingress/egressing a helicopter, instead of using it we have to use a side door which although larger than most, would still be awkward to enter while wearing 50+lbs of gear and weapons. Maybe that will be remedied in the future, or atleast not repeated with these new birds.

Concerning the Hawks, what do you prefer?

UH-80 'Ghosthawk' from ArmA 3?

Or the 'Ghosthawk' from the movie 'Zero Dark Thirty'?

http://www.fxguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/zdt_featured.jpg?8ccd0d

Neither?

I, like MANY others, enjoy Arma for realistic units as well.

I don't like to hang around in fictional helicopters based off speculative concept art.

I would've preferred an exotic design with different camo, like what they did to the merlin or the lynx or the merkava, rather than a ghosthook.

The model itself however seems to be very nice though.

I hope they go for a Ka-29/32 or a similar design at least for CSAT, if they don't go for a heavier helo.

I just hope they show off the CSAT heavy-lift chopper soon. BI pls. A flying block of Mi-26 would be good enough for me, really. Surely Ka-60 won't be CSAT's primary lift chopper. If we can't have railguns and MLRSs for CSAT, then I want a giant, majestic, unsurprisingly ugly lift chopper!

I just hope they show off the CSAT heavy-lift chopper soon. BI pls. A flying block of Mi-26 would be good enough for me, really. Surely Ka-60 won't be CSAT's primary lift chopper. If we can't have railguns and MLRSs for CSAT, then I want a giant, majestic, unsurprisingly ugly lift chopper!

Ugly...how dare you imply that the MI-26 Halo is ugly, why if I were Russian I would be fighting mad! lol In other words I agree the MI-26 would be a great, not perfect, but a great choice for the CSAT heavy lifter. She's got curves in all the right places, she's proven over the years what she can do, and with a little imagination she could damn near be a flying fortress, and still be able to lift a platoon of CSAT's finest and then some. So while there are other options, maybe better options...not for me to decide, maybe the MI-26 and all her massive beauty is what we're getting:o

So because the ramp on the chinook is down, and there is now some cargo-style functionality. might this imply we can load say quads or (dare i say it) RHIBs or SDVs in it?

because seriously, the partial flooding the chinook can do is so damn cool

lol the mi26 looks like a fucking boat hull upside on wheels, but I saw some badass liveleak video of russian special forces parachute deploying in it into Mt.Elbrus or something (Which if you didnt know, is a big mountain in the Caucasus (read: middle of nowhere) , so it has my respect lol.

But to be honest, I think some little DLC will get overshadowed by the big MANW mods... no one realizes how soon MANW is.

They should do that for release of the new Heli DLC in my opinion. I would love a working ramp for the Mohawk.
Animations-wise it should be simple to achieve, but for me the 'primary' concern is whether the helicopters would support "roll-on"/"roll-off" interactions, i.e. placing the passengers' get-in points inside the cabin so that one could actually walk in and then sit down in a seat via action menu (after all, by default so is getting in as a passenger from the side door).

Forget the MI-26. Russia is test-flying a new helicopter called the MI-38. It's like a badass crossover of an MI-8 and the Mohawk. This thing can lift tons of weight, it can carry over 2 squads, and is very up-to-date with an almost fully digital cockpit and stuff like that. Check this thing out :D http://helicopters.findthebest.com/l/73/Kazan-MI-38

Forget the MI-26. Russia is test-flying a new helicopter called the MI-38.

The Mi38 is a medium helo, and BI said heavy so not even a chance.

BI has set the planes able to be sling-loaded ( more than 13 tons ), and there are only two helicopters in the world that could carry one: the CH53 and Mi6-Mi26 family.

RL Iran uses CH53.

There is always the possibility that BI invents something new... or resurrect the monstrous Mi12 :j:

Edited by MistyRonin

The Mohawk (AW101) is considered a heavy helicopter, so is the Chinook. The MI-38 is about he same as a AW101. I'm not really sure what BI defines as "Heavy". But that MI-12 is freaking huge. What the hell did the Russians need to lift with that thing? lol

From the picture provided I would bet on a variation of the on-again/off-again Boeing proposal for a NATO heavily lift helicopter proposed to France and Germany. Other option would be based on the Boeing 360 flight demonstrator. As much as I want a tilt rotor, I am not sure that they can support that. The aero-modeling of a transitioning tilt rotor is pretty heady math that challenges aero-modeling even in an aero engineering simulation. Given the "adventure" I have read here with the basic helo aero-model, tilt rotor seems a stretch.

Just a humble opinion.

The Mohawk (AW101) is considered a heavy helicopter, so is the Chinook. The MI-38 is about he same as a AW101. I'm not really sure what BI defines as "Heavy". But that MI-12 is freaking huge. What the hell did the Russians need to lift with that thing? lol

That's why it's Wikipedia entry starts with:

The AgustaWestland AW101 is a medium-lift helicopter used in both military and civil applications.

Even the creators, AugustaWestland say:

The AW101 is the medium/heavy multi-role platform of choice in its class with extensive operational experience gathered in both the Land and Maritime environments.

It can carry the same weight aprox. as a MH60 Blackhawk, so less than half than a CH47 Chinook. Same happens with the Mil mi38, check in all the industry websites, they designate it as medium.

The Mi12 was the idea for a pre Mi26, I don't really know what were the plans for ( maybe carry armor? ), but Russians always tend to go "bigger" hahahaha

Edited by MistyRonin

So, we're halfway through September, the month that the Helicopters DLC is supposed to be released, now and all we got so far in terms of new assets is a blurry screenshot of the back of what looks like a modernized Chinook. Okay, we know there will be sling loading, the new flight model and possibly shooting from vehicles, but the real seller will surely be the new helos (since we basically get all the other features for free) I wonder why Bohemia doesn't tease us more and doesn't really promote the DLC at all...with the release imminent (and no official statement so far hinting otherwise) shouldn't they start to give us a list of the new assets and at least some screenshots to generate sales? I know they are busy, but I don't really get this policy of BI being so quiet.

I know they are busy, but I don't really get this policy of BI being so quiet.

Well, companies promise the Moon to get as many pre sells as possible, even if the product is shit, once they have people's money...

BI waits until they have everything done and rounded, and let people try. Probably because they at this moment prefer to have better reviews than money, specially after the weird release of A3.

Probably because they at this moment prefer to have better reviews than money, specially after the weird release of A3.

+1

The game is currently in much, much better shape than when it 'officially'* came out and would have been received a lot better than it was. So support is pretty decent, even though it takes like 2 years to receive just 1 of the 15 most requested features. :p

*As in not-alpha/beta, though that really didnt help.

Edited by NeMeSiS
I give up on grammar and spelling