Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Plus you get a new FM, firing from vehicles, and sling loading. So I wouldn't be complaining that the DLC is too expensive when you haven't even seen what is in it.

Specially having in mind that the new flight system, the sling load and the firing from vehicles will be free for everyone.

The only part that is "payed" is the extra content ( helicopters and objects ).

Plus you get a new FM, firing from vehicles, and sling loading. So I wouldn't be complaining that the DLC is too expensive when you haven't even seen what is in it.

That's the what I'm complaining about, we have a price, we maybe have a time, but what we don't have is information...why is it so hard to provide that. And as far as those features, the community has been asking for them for a decade or longer so it goes without saying that they should have already been in by now.

why is it so hard to provide that. And as far as those features, the community has been asking for them for a decade or longer so it goes without saying that they should have already been in by now.

They have already said that these features will be in ( the new flight system it's already in the dev-branch, the sling-loading has been ready for the dev-branch for two weeks and will be released there when the MP issues are solved as they said in the SITREP, the firing from vehicles will come next ). What is not sure is in which degree, but I guess that will be decided when they test them in the dev-branch. And for free.

They also said that will include two heavy cargo helos.

They also said that will include two heavy cargo helos

we will pay for these helos ....... which helos we will get?

anyway this discussion is going to nowhere ........

we will pay for these helos ....... which helos we will get?

You will know once the DLC is released. You will be able to try them for free too.

Why are you in such a haste to buy them? Just be patient, keep your money until you know if it's really worth it.

BI it's not like EA or CoD that sells you something without allowing you to know and try exactly what it is.

Indeed not, but more coms, informations and teaser/pictures would be welcome.

Indeed not, but more coms, informations and teaser/pictures would be welcome.

I agree 100% But I guess they are not sure yet of what they will be able to deliver.

Edited by MistyRonin
orthography!

I think what we're going to see, will be along the lines of what the A-164 Wipeout has become to be. Not something antique, or contemporary for that matter.. BIS no doubt will give their own swing to it, to fit it into their set world of made-up A3-armaverse.

But I too hope for atleast some screenshots somewhere the next following days.. Or perhaps a video-teaser at some point in time, prior to release. Would be nice I say, but perhaps BIS likes to surprise us all, before everybody goes either ooh-or-ahh, or boo-and-blargh..

I think what we're going to see' date=' will be along the lines of what the A-164 Wipeout has become to be. Not something antique, or contemporary for that matter.. [/quote']

The A164 it's just a tuned Arma2 model, A10 ( same as the Mohawk, Hellcat, etc. ).

Which BTW it's fine to me. But I would prefer something new like a CH53 :P

Edited by MistyRonin

No, MH-53, the CH-53 is too old

Considering the MH-53 is based on Vietnam era versions of the H-53 series, not to mention replaced by the CV-22 Osprey since 2008'ish, where as the latest CH-53 model, the K or King Stallion, is still in the development and testing stage for the Marine Corps, I'd have to say the Pavelow is the more obsolete of the two. That being said there are at least two threads almost completely dedicated to speculation over what aircraft are coming in the DLC.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?178666-Arma-3-Helicopters-DLC-Discussion-(dev-branch)

and

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?177354-Possible-High-Quality-Helicopters-for-Selection-STRICT-Selection

Pretty sure I've griped in both as to why I hope that no variant of the H-53 is included in this DLC. If a USMC faction is represented in the expansion next year sure, but not in this DLC.

I agree 100% But I guess they are not sure yet of what they will be able to deliver.

As to the Idea of BIS not knowing what they can deliver as a reason for not being more transparent with the community, being as they have yet to back track on the release date it seems a little late to not know what your going to be able to squeeze in. As I said before there is no excuse for not being more informative to their customers as to the content of the DLC at this point. Being as features, things like sling loading and firing from vehicles are free anyways, I understand its hard to know for sure what can be pulled off and how long it'll take, as such I'm not too particularly concerned, so long as they get here sooner or later. But the things we are paying for, things like new helos, new weapons with the Marksmen DLC, so on and so forth, I am concerned about because those are the things we are required to pay for in order to have full, uninterrupted use of. Call it impatient if you like but as the man forking out the bills its not unreasonable at all in my opinion to want to know what we're paying for. Yes we don't have to buy it right now, but being as the option is there to do so, is it really too much to ask that the information is made available so we can at least make an informed decision?

Not trying to knock BIS, I'm really not, but keeping us in the dark regarding the content is not accomplishing anything. Just my whiny two cents.

As to the Idea of BIS not knowing what they can deliver as a reason for not being more transparent with the community, being as they have yet to back track on the release date it seems a little late to not know what your going to be able to squeeze in.
The thing is, it's... seemingly rather consistent with BI's behavior as far as marketing/promoting for A3, especially since the infamous "axed features" thread, and it does even feel like an attempt at "undersell and overdeliver"... just done in a rather ham-fisted fashion that right now seems to lean heavily on the former. Based on what we're discussing, it seems like "two heavy transport helicopters" was all that BI was publicly willing to commit to as far as assets, although they said that new playable sandbox content would be part of the DLC as well -- presumably meaning missions and possibly even a mini-campaign.

The A164 it's just a tuned Arma2 model, A10 ( same as the Mohawk, Hellcat, etc. ).

I would dare correct You as the model is a brand new one, obviously based on A-10 as it is even described in the Field Manual, but made from scratch. Hellcat is based on the BAF model, but Mohawk is based on Take On model, which means it has been improved twice since BAF :icon_twisted:

My bet is november for the helicopter DLC and april for the marksman one

+1 but wouldend be surpised if it is early december @RIE said on twitter that the shooting from vehicles might be hitting dev-branch this month(pending on MP stability), so a month of "public testing" could be enough before the DLC (and who knows what else is unknown for us in the pipeline for the DLC) ;)

Send with mobile phone.

Mohawk is based on Take On model, which means it has been improved twice since BAF :icon_twisted:

But the model is more a downgrade. Why would someone turn a three engine helicopter into a two engine helicopter? It looked much cooler with its three engines in Arma 2!

Same with the Hellcat. The weapons are a joke. In Arma 2 it was my favourite Bird, with its HE Gau and 7 laser guided rocket that where controlled by the gunner. In Arma 3 it was horribly downgraded to be a bigger littlebird. Copy & Pasta.

What I don't understand is why there are not more variants of Arma 3s vehicles in the game? It is much easier to change weapons than making a new vehicle model. So why not make a littlebird with Hellfires, or a GAU, or multiple hellcat variants? It is so easy with proxys..

Same with the Hellcat. The weapons are a joke. In Arma 2 it was my favourite Bird, with its HE Gau and 7 laser guided rocket that where controlled by the gunner. In Arma 3 it was horribly downgraded to be a bigger littlebird. Copy & Pasta.
*coughexportpackagecough*

Did the Wildcat have a FLIR turret in A2 though? (I'll discount the PiP aspect.) As for the "laser guided rocket", in A3 that capability was given to the Orca...

What I don't understand is why there are not more variants of Arma 3s vehicles in the game? It is much easier to change weapons than making a new vehicle model. So why not make a littlebird with Hellfires, or a GAU, or multiple hellcat variants? It is so easy with proxys..
After poking around with Eliteness and the samples, I can tell you that the rocket pods -- more specifically, the rockets themselves -- are some very involved stuff, especially in comparison to ArmA and Arma 2. Also, from what I understand the engine doesn't support animations 'in' proxies, although you can animate the 'whole' proxy to a degree (basic rotating/elevating), so for example the gun would basically have to be part of the base model while missiles, bombs, and rockets could be proxied.

I would dare correct You as the model is a brand new one, obviously based on A-10 as it is even described in the Field Manual, but made from scratch. Hellcat is based on the BAF model, but Mohawk is based on Take On model, which means it has been improved twice since BAF :icon_twisted:

I stand corrected. My apologies to the 3D model team :)

Although you have to recognize the semblance between both models:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/486693585365191186/05A365DA0DC36B310CF0697E563843F5C13944E1/ (494 kB)

In any case don't take it as a complain as probably are some of my fav models in A3 ( in fact I wouldn't have mind at all if A3 was based in improved A2/ToH stuff ). I'm a proud and happy owner of all them ( A2, BAF and ToH ) :D

I stand corrected. My apologies to the 3D model team :)

Although you have to recognize the semblance between both models:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/486693585365191186/05A365DA0DC36B310CF0697E563843F5C13944E1/ (494 kB)

In any case don't take it as a complain as probably are some of my fav models in A3 ( in fact I wouldn't have mind at all if A3 was based in improved A2/ToH stuff ). I'm a proud and happy owner of all them ( A2, BAF and ToH ) :D

If you see them next to each other you really see that the new one was made from scratch. Looks awesome!

I would never buy anything that I don't know about it. And as pettka said, with BI you have the option to try it before, in fact you even get the features for free; the only thing you pay if you want is a bit of extra content.

Not true anymore, you couldn't access the vehicles with the kart DLC and bis have said it is the new approach, no more only low rez textures but still using content. Now you can look and be in the same game but no touch.

Its a shame the throttle traverse bug is still there are all those reworks.

Not true anymore, you couldn't access the vehicles with the kart DLC and bis have said it is the new approach, no more only low rez textures but still using content. Now you can look and be in the same game but no touch.

You can try them in the editor, or script yourself in the driver's seat in an actual mission.

For BIS the purpose of DLC is to highlight the ability of helicopters lifting, I think we will have to do a massive machines, currently only the AAF has this kind of machine CH-49 Mohawk, I'll see a H-92 Superhawk (also call CH-148 in Canada) for NATO:

http://www.aerofriends.hu/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/mod2v.jpg

http://www.aerofriends.hu/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/mod1v.jpg

https://globalaviationreport.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/sw2013-0348-15.jpg

https://globalaviationreport.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/sw2013-0348-17.jpg

Off course, this is not the largest but not the age of the MH-53

The EC-135 has the same Engine as many other helicopters... But in my opinion, to have the EC-135 or better yet the EC-155 which has the same engine for the Civilian Faction would be utterly amazing, kinda as a side bonus for the Heli DLC, or maybe just in later, since the civilians don't even have anything much of importance but a Rescue boat... Something for them would be Golden.