Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

I think you pose a valid alternative, SniperWolf, but personally I would hate to see any ads in my game that are not directly related, especially when it means adding time between starting the game and actually being able to play. Ads about whatever product or service BIS's advertiser thinks is relevant to me takes me way more out of the game than a reminder that I should buy something, only when I'm actually using it. The advantage to the nagging is that it's bothering the player only when he actually chooses to use the content, not simply by joining a server that is using it. Also, there is much more of a connection between the nag and the content. An ad simply playing when you start a mission or join a server has no direct tie to the content itself. It feels way more like an advertisement because it's so out of context and doesn't make the subconscious connection that paying = content, like the visual nags do.

Yes I agree, they are the reasons I believe it will never happen. I don't think we'll see penis enlargement pills being advertised in the game ever. :D

I differ there as I wouldn't mind being heavily inconvenienced during all of the non-critical time for non-interruptions during the critical time.

Example being that one of our local TV stations plays ads that cover up the entire bottom half the screen during football matches at the most critical moments, and it's incredibly annoying. Not to mention I pay to watch it as well.

Don't cover up the damn match, if you must play the ad during the match, reduce the screen to a 1/4 and use other 3/4 to show the ad but don't cover it up.

---------- Post added at 12:25 ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 ----------

You need to make up your mind.

One post, you're complaining about not being able to use something "because full-screen stuff".

Next post, you're saying it's not restictive enough and BF3 does it better?

WTF?

It's you who are making some points totally unrelated to discussion. Make your mind already - which exactly point are you defending? "Current system is bad"? "I know better way"? "Give me everything for free, I don't mind low quality"? Overall it looks like it's the latter.

I'm not so sure what's so strange about following multiple trains of thought, considering alternatives and throwing them out on the table, looking for problems in all solutions even my own?

We both want the same thing, the only problem here is that you're glued to this idea and throwing fits over a discussion, and I'm bouncing other ideas off the wall which will either way not be happening.

I'm not so sure what's so strange about following multiple trains of thought, considering alternatives and throwing them out on the table, looking for problems in all solutions even my own?

Well if you forget to frame it appropriately, don't be angry if you get burned for incoherence.

We both want the same thing, the only problem here is that you're glued to this idea, and I'm bouncing other ideas off the wall.

No valid arguments left => "I'm still better than you", allright.

Well if you forget to frame it appropriately, don't be angry if you get burned for incoherence.

No valid arguments left => "I'm still better than you", allright.

Yes I'm so mad and without any valid arguments, you have me so outclassed. I concede to your epic putting-words-in-my-mouth skills. I need to reevaluate my life now and possibly visit a burn center.

Ok, keep it civil here and/or take the bickering to PM, guys.

This

Is a terrible idea.

What if someone makes a mission where you have to use that thing?

What if in a MP mission the original pilot dies and there is only a guy without the DLC to take over the transport duties?

You didn´t really think this one through....

What if $25 is so expensive for that one?

@Sniperwolf572 You're comparing a coop game with an open world sandbox game, seriously? It's one thing to deny non DLC users from getting DLC content in a closed coop game, but you can't do that in a sandbox game... Btw. Overkill's DLC tactic sucks

@Sniperwolf572 You're comparing a coop game with an open world sandbox game, seriously? It's one thing to deny non DLC users from getting DLC content in a closed coop game, but you can't do that in a sandbox game...

Did you seriously not read the last sentence of that paragraph where I explicitly say that their game is much narrower in scope and might not be applicable?

Btw. Overkill's DLC tactic sucks

Why? They release DLC with shit guns nobody needs to buy to play the game effectively and they release heists as free updates constantly. With every single larger update, comes a massive discount where you can get the DLC for almost nothing. (You can get the game and all 7 paid DLCs right now for 20 Euros, the planned cost of the DLC Bundle)

You can play Armored Transport heists even if you do not own it. All other heists are free.

All the weapon packs are fluff, except for the .50 cal rifle which can make Death Wish slightly easier. The best primary and secondaries come from the base game. Hand grenades are mostly useless.

And the attachment pack gives only minor advantages.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

Why? They release DLC with shit guns nobody needs to buy to play the game effectively and they release heists as free updates constantly. With every single larger update, comes a massive discount where you can get the DLC for almost nothing.

You can play Armored Transport heists even if you do not own it. All other heists are free.

All the weapon packs are fluff, except for the .50 cal rifle which can make Death Wish slightly easier. The best primary and secondaries come from the base game. Hand grenades are mostly useless.

And the attachment pack gives only minor advantages.

Shit guns? They're selling basic FPS gear: Grenades, LMG's and snipers! They keep make cops more annoying and then release these DLC's to probably make people buy them!

Shit guns? They're selling basic FPS gear: Grenades, LMG's and snipers! They keep make cops more annoying and then release these DLC's to probably make people buy them!

Yes, they're selling those things. But no, the hardest difficulty which is the only challenge in the game, removes the need for any of those guns. Grenades can't kill anything on DW, the most effective rifle for DW is Car-4 and the only rifle in the sniper rifle pack is the .50 cal which makes the Bulldozers easier. And that's only for the missions that require you to go loud. Considering almost all heists can be completed by not firing a single bullet.

I still don't see why that makes their DLC tactic suck. It's not like they're selling shortcut packs like EA. You get a few guns for a few euros. You'll also get a few guns for a few euros in the Maksman pack.

Give a mouse a cookie I suppose...who cares if BI says they will make features free to everyone and that content will be the only thing that costs something...as opposed to other companies that pretty much say that if you don't buy the dlc or expansion, you don't get anything...features, content, nothing. I'm normally not one to come to any developers side when it comes to dlc and stuff, its not my job to "guard" them but you guys are making it sound as though you get overlays and things like that just because the DLC is present, as though simply playing as a soldier means getting spammed with the DLc stuff rather than only when you play with what would be the DLC.

Edited by NodUnit

I think they should sort the engine out and optimize it before releasing any more stuff this is getting stupid now.

Its been a long time and the game still runs like pooh even on high end computers its a shame BIS use to be the best but I think ARMA3 will never be fixed at this rate they completely ignore us and its not just me there are so many people with poor performance on high end rigs etc mad :(

I think they should sort the engine out and optimize it before releasing any more stuff this is getting stupid now.

Its been a long time and the game still runs like pooh even on high end computers its a shame BIS use to be the best but I think ARMA3 will never be fixed at this rate they completely ignore us and its not just me there are so many people with poor performance on high end rigs etc mad :(

I can't stand uneducated senseless posts like these. How many times do you have to be told that a designer can't do a programmers job before you start to understand? It's a simple concept to wrap your mind around.

they completely ignore us
Seriously?

They're patching the game daily with extensive changelogs, and I've seen devs lending code to modders.

Yay!

You should and will be put on ignore. But first, my game runs fine. A3 is very fun. Your view point on the game is very skewed. As said above me, they(BiS) work on the game all the time and are the most helpful devs I have ever encountered. 30years of gaming. Maybe you should just step away from this game for awhile or forever, because they (BIS) cant improve this engine for the amount of performance you would always want. It will never be enough for you. You will always find some issue to whine about, because thats what you do...hence the ignore function. pifft

You should and will be put on ignore. But first, my game runs fine. A3 is very fun. Your view point on the game is very skewed. As said above me, they(BiS) work on the game all the time and are the most helpful devs I have ever encountered. 30years of gaming. Maybe you should just step away from this game for awhile or forever, because they (BIS) cant improve this engine for the amount of performance you would always want. It will never be enough for you. You will always find some issue to whine about, because thats what you do...hence the ignore function. pifft

Well he just expressed an opinion about the game. I'm sure he loves Arma 3 but the performance of the game is not good enough. A lot of people feel the same but they rather go on instead and don't bother writing on this forum.

SITREP #00059 is out.

There are a few, admittedly modest, improvements to the Arma 3 platform for everyone - regardless of owning the DLC. For Arma 3 Helicopters this will likely be a longer list.

-Vehicles (not just karts) now support Inverse Kinematic animations for pedals (feet) for accelerating and braking.

BIS dev 1: "We've finally implemented inverse kinematics. Think of all the possibilities - we could make proper door animations, proper animations for entering and exiting vehicles and that's just the beginning!"

BIS dev 2: "Ermahgerd, let's make animations for feet."

I have no idea who BIS dev 2 is (hopefully someone who doesn't visit these forums very often :p), but the quote in my sig is just for you.

EDIT: TECHREP #00010 is out, as well.

Edited by barakokula31

SITREP #00059 is out.

BIS dev 1: "We've finally implemented inverse kinematics. Think of all the possibilities - we could make proper door animations, proper animations for entering and exiting vehicles and that's just the beginning!"

BIS dev 2: "Ermahgerd, let's make animations for feet."

I have no idea who BIS dev 2 is (hopefully someone who doesn't visit these forums very often :p), but the quote in my sig is just for you.

Thank You for Your sig, I like it :icon_twisted:

Please note that the inverse kinematics is used in game for pretty long time, take a look at the hands and weapon during recoil for example, or animation of hands on driving wheel / pilot stick. I just said: "Ermahgerd, Y U NO use diz for legs 2?" :icon_twisted:

Oh no, I think I offended the Lord of the Bounce D:

Please note that the inverse kinematics is used in game for pretty long time, take a look at the hands and weapon during recoil for example, or animation of hands on driving wheel / pilot stick. I just said: "Ermahgerd, Y U NO use diz for legs 2?" :icon_twisted:

I thought they weren't in the game because (I think) a dev said a while ago that they weren't implemented when somebody was asking about doors or something.

It is because of my passion for ARMA series I wrote this.

I have been a fan since OFP and I have supported BIS from the start.

I have said they where the best devs ever I am just disappointing that arma3 runs terrible for most due to poor optimization that has been proven and now acknowledged on the latest road map I see (has optimization on the list).

It hurts me to not be able to play the one sim I all ways play but now I cant and nor can many of my friends.

I would love nothing more than BIS to turn around and actually fix this problem and prove me wrong I would bow down to them and worship them once more

BUT......I dont think they will nor can

Back in ARMA 2 days it as a known problem that the engine was under utilizing the system resources there for making no use of high end computers this went on for a few monthes before a DEV finally admitted they could not fix it due to engine limitations I feel this is the same problem for ARMA 3 as it is based around the same engine.

SO

Dont get mad at me for getting mad and passionate over some thing I have lost ARMA and BIS where like family to me but I have lost interest due to lack of feedback from the coders and the DEV blog on optimization that never came to light.

This is ARMA 2 all over again and we will never see any thing but more DLC and other stuff bolted to the all ready struggling engine

BIS PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG PLEASE :(

I have said they where the best devs ever I am just disappointing that arma3 runs terrible for most due to poor optimization that has been proven and now acknowledged on the latest road map I see (has optimization on the list).

It hurts me to not be able to play the one sim I all ways play but now I cant and nor can many of my friends.

I would love nothing more than BIS to turn around and actually fix this problem and prove me wrong I would bow down to them and worship them once more

Back in ARMA 2 days it as a known problem that the engine was under utilizing the system resources there for making no use of high end computers this went on for a few monthes before a DEV finally admitted they could not fix it due to engine limitations I feel this is the same problem for ARMA 3 as it is based around the same engine.

SO

Dont get mad at me for getting mad and passionate over some thing I have lost ARMA and BIS where like family to me but I have lost interest due to lack of feedback from the coders and the DEV blog on optimization that never came to light.

This is ARMA 2 all over again and we will never see any thing but more DLC and other stuff bolted to the all ready struggling engine

Look, kid, that was very emotional. But the fact is, it's either your doing something wrong (running Arma 3 on windows XP with a duel core), or maybe your jumping the gun a little bit. Way in advance of Arma 3 Alpha release, i worked to earn money to buy myself a 1200 dollar laptop, with a GT650M Nvidia card, and i7 processor, JUST for Arma 3. That's not the best graphics card in the world, ill admit. But the game is fine, and playable at the moment. Yes, Optimization can still be done, because optimization is never ending. Coding, graphics, engine, you name it improve over the years allowing more robust solutions to smooth out your lag. But if your saying right now its unplayable??? Dude, you must be trying to All Ultra maxed out with a card that is un able to support that, because i know i have a low tier graphics card, but i get 60-50 frames on a decent server... come on. Its NOT unplayable, unless your trying to over do it.

When will it be used on ladders? :)

SO

I'm pretty happy I get more FPS in ArmA 3 then I did in A2 with the same PC, and considering A3 looks much better and has a much larger map i would say that is pretty good.

I'm pretty happy I get more FPS in ArmA 3 then I did in A2 with the same PC, and considering A3 looks much better and has a much larger map i would say that is pretty good.

I second this. ^^

Anyways, can we keep this the Reveal thread and not the Optimization Conversation thread? Awesome. :cool:

oh please BI devs you have to add a function into the server search filter that we can exclude server names with "xyz..." for example to remove all the altis life servers from the list, they make me crazy :pet6:

oh please bi devs you have to add a function into the server search filter that we can exclude server names with "xyz..." for example to remove all the altis life servers from the list, they make me crazy :pet6:

This. And a fav/bookmark system please