Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Explains why they hired Endstar for the rope physx. :D

I really like what they announce in the roadmap! it seems as if Arma 3 will get an awfull lot of post release content and most of that will even be free.

@BI Just do me one favour. If for some reason you can´t make on of those features, then please tell us here in the forums, in time. I promise we won´t rip on you. ;)

Regarding the helicopters DLC, will the fastrope be added? Old Bear told me it was already in Zeus (haven't seen it yet though), so if it's in Zeus, why not in vanilla yet?

I have to recognize that this BI announcement has surprised me greatly ( in a positive way ).

I really think that the new DLC system, to improve certain features while adding new content is the best possible way to go.

And as a helicopter lover ( that enjoys the Take on Helos and DCS helo games ), the addition of a more realistic system is probably the best of the news.

Also the possibility of shooting while riding vehicles, which had been for long requested, is a huge step forward.

Can't wait to know more.

But again, I'm really surprised. And if BI devs keep they words I'll acquire all DLCs for sure.

Good news indeed. Looking forward to it.

Although it does kinda leave pw6 in an awkward position. Workshop + BI Launcher pretty much nullifies their raison d'etre.

Took you long enough to realize BI.

Fantastic news. I wonder if some new helicopters will be introduced. I have many wonders but i guess ill have to wait for that.

I wonder if some new helicopters will be introduced.

It's the first sentence about the helicopter DLC and it's capitalized: "Together with the addition of distinctive new transport helicopters..."

Wow, they really are doing DLC.

I do hope it's substantial. The way these are named make it sound like Take on Helicopter's DLC, which didn't really add much. Now, if these DLCs have campaigns focusing on what they're doing...then we're talking more meaty jazz.

Maybe it's just being used to how ArmA II was handled, but every DLC added a campaign or something major to play offline. I would love to see that trend continue. A campaign focused on sniping and being stealthy? Yes please.

Edited by Foffy

While I'm worried some of this will be too ambitious again, I'm just too over joyed to hear about all the stuff they're adding. 3D editor, TKOH flight model (for my own sake and many other terrible pilots, I'm even more glad it's optional), firing from vehicles, weapon sway and fatigue fixes (please be bipod mounting on walls and windows and such), this is all great.

Wow, they really are doing DLC.

I do hope it's substantial. The way these are named make it sound like Take on Helicopter's DLC, which didn't really add much. Now, if these DLCs have campaigns focusing on what they're doing...then we're talking more meaty jazz.

Maybe it's just being used to how ArmA II was handled, but every DLC added a campaign or something major to play offline. I would love to see that trend continue. A campaign focused on sniping and being stealthy? Yes please.

Then again all A2s DLC were for OA, so I think the DLC like BAF, PMCs, etc will come when we have the *Cough*Pacific*Cough* expansion.

I like what is planned for the roadmap, but I wonder if we will never see an update to the medic system now...

But I´m also very sad when I think about all the wasted Devtime. Arma 3 could have been so much more.

I seriously don´t wish to hear anybody excusing anything with "we don´t have enought time for that" anymore. Months of time have been wasted on a stupid idea because after every Arma game someone in the studio pops up and says "Hey lets make an RPG game".

Can you guys for once simply stick to what you are good at? Making Arma? Focusing on delivering a really good and complete Arma? For once?

No real chance of them sticking to Arma when they've been doing that (trying to do anything except what you say they're only good at) since the original OFP.

Oh, and it's the features that will be free -- the content is paid -- but at least all the vanilla game helos are getting upgraded accordingly! Which means that we can expect a Kajman where the passengers can use their small arms while the gunner operates the 30 mm gun, ATGMs and unguided rockets... :D

I will say this though -- it seems to me like BI were vague as hell (in the whole "announcement of an announcement" way) about the Marksmen DLC because the infantry weapon changes aren't progressed enough for them to 'feel safe' in actually naming them, but conversely it sounds like the devs are really confident that they can pull off sling-loading and firing from vehicles, hence how much more detailed the Helicopters DLC section was! :cool:

I just hope that:

- They really add shooting from vehicles (YAY)

Only confirmed for helos, but with a statement that work there certainly wouldn't hurt the chances of it spreading to other vehicle types (no ETA on that, of course, since helicopters are the star so to speak).

I really liked the Marksmen stuff. Weapon sway, new sniper rifles (I love playing sniper, and grenadier).

My current issue is that when firing with MX, it is easier for me to hit enemies with full auto than singleshot mode. Simply because the recoil is more manageable. Recentering on target takes longer for me in singleshot mode.

And I'm also thinking about balancing Mk18 ABR vs Rahim. Rahim has 10 bullet mags but since 2-3 shots are required to take any enemy down, I'm going thru mags like no tomorrow. It is more manageable with the ABRs 20 bullet mags. Both have same caliber tho so thats even.

I'm really looking forward to the new content and DLC, awesome job guys. Firing from vehicles would be so nice!

Only confirmed for helos, but with a statement that work there certainly wouldn't hurt the chances of it spreading to other vehicle types (no ETA on that, of course, since helicopters are the star so to speak).

Do you mean it spreading over to other vehicletypes by BIS?

Furthermore, although we're focusing upon helos as a starting point, Firing from Vehicles stands to benefit other sandbox assets; any specifically configured cargo positions offer potential gameplay for units (both players and AI) in transit.

I wonder if it's just adding a few lines in the appropriate configs or does it take more than that, nevertheless, splendid news, all of the Roadmap, I'm happy.

Great news indeed! Personally, I look forward the most to weapon improvements and firing from vehicles, and I still wish for a complex injury and medical system.

I wonder if it's just adding a few lines in the appropriate configs or does it take more than that, nevertheless, splendid news, all of the Roadmap, I'm happy

I'd say there would have to be new animations developed for the seats that are going to be compatible with Firing From Vehicles or maybe just some tweaking to current animation sources

I don't think it was really confirmed at all, just "thinking about it". However, since most vehicles are working with the same basic principles, I don't see no reason why it shoudln't work on other vehicle types

Well it mentions "Shooting from Vehicles" not "Shooting from Helicopters". I am quite sure that if you can manage one, you can also manage the other, since there is no difference in the way cargo is handled.

Well it mentions "Shooting from Vehicles" not "Shooting from Helicopters". I am quite sure that if you can manage one, you can also manage the other, since there is no difference in the way cargo is handled.

I can think of a number of things.

1. Shooting out of a say helicopter. Can you shoot thru windows? Does the door have to be open? At what angles can you shoot? Can you shoot down the helicopter you are in? That would be disastrous, at least online.

2. What about vehicles like the 2-seater jeep? Can the driver shoot his gun? What about the passenger? Can he shoot thru front, window, side window on his right? What about left window? Could he accidentally shoot the driver? Then theres the back window. Would it be realistic if we could shoot thru that? Or do we hang outside the car? Hanging from the rightside window for example. Which would require new animations, a button and/or scroll list item (hang from window) etc.

Not to mention hitboxes and syncing it all.

I think hitboxes are there but also I read somewhere that they had firing from vehicles or similar in the game earlier but had problems with hitboxes etc so they removed the feature.

Beware the clink-clink sound though :P

OHSHIT OHSHIT OHSHIT!

Ok...who dropped the nade? =)

1. Shooting out of a say helicopter. Can you shoot thru windows? Does the door have to be open? At what angles can you shoot? Can you shoot down the helicopter you are in? That would be disastrous, at least online.

2. What about vehicles like the 2-seater jeep? Can the driver shoot his gun? What about the passenger? Can he shoot thru front, window, side window on his right? What about left window? Could he accidentally shoot the driver? Then theres the back window. Would it be realistic if we could shoot thru that? Or do we hang outside the car? Hanging from the rightside window for example. Which would require new animations, a button and/or scroll list item (hang from window) etc.

I think hitboxes are there but also I read somewhere that they had firing from vehicles or similar in the game earlier but had problems with hitboxes etc so they removed the feature.

OHSHIT OHSHIT OHSHIT!

Lol

I personally will try to restrain from overthinking things until BIS actually releases the dlc on dev branch, which is a ways away. No use worrying about issues/features that don't, and may not ever exist. Lets see what they got before we get too, too, excited eh?

Lol

I personally will try to restrain from overthinking things until BIS actually releases the dlc on dev branch, which is a ways away. No use worrying about issues/features that don't, and may not ever exist. Lets see what they got before we get too, too, excited eh?

that type of thinking is required if you want to prevent yourself making "WTF have they added.....!!!!!!" posts.

I'd say there would have to be new animations developed for the seats that are going to be compatible with Firing From Vehicles or maybe just some tweaking to current animation sources

It depends really, i think you would only need to make one extra animation for the sitting and a upper body one that fires(gesture)

OHSHIT OHSHIT OHSHIT!

Hehe. Nade dropping aside, those are all good usecases - hope BI has a similar set that they use during development

The point I was trying to make is that from a thick point of view, the cargo space of vehicles is always the same. Obviously there has to be an actual opportunity, but the leave in the announcement makes it quite clear that while helicopters would be the initial focus, other vehicles would also be considered.