Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Read more: http://www.arma3.com/news/bohemia-interactive-presents-arma3-karts#.UzqgpvmSxHY

To be honest, though, the screenshots on the website look like they were actually made in the engine. Also, does anyone remember how they announced Arma 2's release date with FArma? Maybe they're doing something like that here; maybe the first DLC is coming in Q2 this year, but that may just be Zeus.

Edited by barakokula31

It's 1 April and today I'm suspicious to anything and anyone. So I choose not to believe in something that was announced the 1 of April.

Damn, I forgot today is April fool's day... I almost got excited and depressed and the same time...

But on the upside, did you guys watched the video? That is a good demo of new/updated/improved animation. Any animators around that can shed some light of what we're seeing and what the future could hold for the modders?

Edited by Mr_Centipede

maybe the first DLC is coming in Q2 this year, but that may just be Zeus.

Zeus has already been established as a free update to the game, not a DLC.

I think the karts and uniforms and whatever other small details will be added to the game for free when they're ready. Maybe there will be an actual DLC in Q2 as well, not related to the karts.

Haha :)

But where is the traditional April Fool's on the forum?! :butbut:

Zeus has already been established as a free update to the game, not a DLC.

They refer to it as "free DLC".

They refer to it as "free DLC".

My bad, that is true. Still, they already announced it, so I don't see how this joke could be another form of announcing it, in the way that you proposed.

My bad, that is true. Still, they already announced it, so I don't see how this joke could be another form of announcing it, in the way that you proposed.

Farma was announced as well, and the screenshots were taken in the engine albeit a bit doctored with some UI elements.

Edited by NodUnit

So I was looking at some Zues screens, and, look in the bottom right where the riflemen are: http://www.bistudio.com/mailing/images/screenshots/arma3/arma3_dlc_zeus_screenshot_02.jpg :rolleyes:

It was supposed to be in but for unknown reason it was removed like other asset (XM25).

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/c/c7/Arma3_ksg.jpg/600px-Arma3_ksg.jpg

So it seems that we will have it in the near future :)

So I was looking at some Zues screens, and, look in the bottom right where the riflemen are: http://www.bistudio.com/mailing/images/screenshots/arma3/arma3_dlc_zeus_screenshot_02.jpg :rolleyes:

The devs avoided questions about that during the Zeus live stream, I'll put my money on shotguns appearing with the next DLC/expansion/what-ever-it-is.

Not only about Arma 3, but may be quite interesting to see development of it from another angle:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-29-bohemias-war-the-story-of-the-company-behind-arma-and-dayz

:icon_twisted:

Amazing interview; Always good to know a little more about BI's history (and Codie, OFP, Game2...) everytime along with the lessons learned (You missed tthe Axing thread! :P).

Anyway, this caught my eye:

(...) Hall and Å panel, whatever it might say on their business cards, and although they talk in praising tones about each other, they're never in the same place at the same time and I can't quite bring myself to believe they're friends.

False impression of the reporter or there is some bad blood? Not that I really expect an answer here :j:

Edited by Smurf

@ Smurf

False impression as far as I can tell.

@ ProfTournesol

At the end of year earliest - possibly longer and has said to stay in touch with the project as adviser or similar beyond that.

Best listen to the recording itself on what Dean said and not what other magazines misread or misrepresent from there..

Edited by .kju [PvPscene]

So, halfway the article there is this image viewer with 125 pictures. Pics 48 - 52, screenshots of the lost OFP:Vietnam idea? Everything else seems to be Game2 assets/screenshots.

Edited by NeMeSiS

I would have loved to see some Wild West assets, if they have ever existed. "They made some prototypes, most as modifications to Flashpoint"

Edited by ProfTournesol

After Operation Arrowhead, Bohemia decided to do something quite different, something science fiction, combining the talents of the acquired Altar Games studio in Brno (UFO trilogy) and Arma. "Fighting aliens, that was the concept," he says. "It was not a direct sequel originally but we wanted to experiment a bit - to crossover between the two genres we had in the company."

That's when Å panel picked the Greek island of Lemnos for the setting, albeit for something called Arma Futura rather than Arma 3. The design apparently changed towards something more RPG but still science-fiction and apocalyptic, rather than fighting aliens in real-time strategy battles on smaller islands. It could be a one-man show on a big chunk of land, the team decided. But as time wound on, it became less and less science-fiction and more and more Arma 3.

Are you fucking kidding me? :butbut:

It's not a joke, terrain builder refers to the futura engine when you're constructing a map.

A lot of stuff suddenly makes sense.... like the research domes on Altis.

No wonder they had to scrap all their work when they were half through development :j:

Who came up with that game idea?

Are you fucking kidding me? :butbut:

I'm very happy they didn't go through with that, I honestly think it could have been disastrous for the ArmA franchise. Do you remember that tiny clip we saw with an alien in the ArmA 3 engine? Can't find it at the moment, but that might have been the real deal there. Of course, hints about this was there for quite a long time I remember. I'm sure those white reseach domes you see on Altis are remnants of this idea (ninja'd)

I can understand that making a war game for the tenth time is tedious. I might have been ok with some sort of medieval or Renaissance type game, whatever that would be - though to be frank it would be a bit silly since Warhorse Studios is already on its way to make something like that already.

Who came up with that game idea?
The way that article was written, the writer seemed to be implying Maruk -- or at least, one can infer by the mere fact of development that he accepted the idea enough to OK development in that direction. Still, it's rather illuminating*...
I'm very happy they didn't go through with that, I honestly think it could have been disastrous for the ArmA franchise.
Considering that it wasn't even meant to be a sequel originally, the same way that Arma: Tactics isn't... I don't see it that way, not at all.
I can understand that making a war game for the tenth time is tedious.
Probably why Arma 3 started out the way it did -- as originally Arma Futura.

* As is the reveal that had it not been for BI being blindsided by the Xbox 360's specs, Arma 2 would have been a Xbox 360 game and was even originally intended for that.

Edited by Chortles