Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

I really hope the new terrain will bring us... RIVER and it would be cool if Bis is planning to add more physX capability (walking on moving vehicle, trailer, etc.).

The trappings of a capitalist society is that you will, at some point, have to pursue your greatest (financial) success and you'd be stupid not to do it. Everybody gets to be a pessimist on the internet. BIS fans, of all people, should know that you don't get a truly good Arma game until a year after its release.

The trappings of a capitalist society is that you will, at some point, have to pursue your greatest (financial) success and you'd be stupid not to do it. Everybody gets to be a pessimist on the internet. BIS fans, of all people, should know that you don't get a truly good Arma game until a year after its release.

But I think that this is incredibly short sighted. What if they don´t find their next big cash maker before DayZ runs out of Steam? They spend all those years building up a great, one of a kind franchise (arma) only to risk loosing it?. Arma has pulled that company through a lot of years and a lot of troublesome times. It can continue to do so, but only if BIS dedicates enough ressources to keep improving it. Sure, they can make other games. But they shouldn´t put Arma in second place.

Tonic I think you're being alittle dramatic and over analyzing. BIS aren't doing weapon packs because the community has that well and truly covered thus the general focus is on far reaching design changes that will enhance the functionality of the engine benefiting everyone. I think that is the general message.

We could see some kind of hybrid cry dev model in the future for Arma so it's important not to waste your time waiting for 'all the things', just start modding and have fun. :)

Nice read, I like the fact that they want to focus on the mechanics(maybe all those things you've mentioned Tonci87), i'm looking forward to a DLC that will make Arma more sophisticated. It's a one of a kind game. Good luck BIS.

In my (uneducated and probably not that important) opinion, I wouldn't mind if the main core of programmers spent the next two years until Arma 4 preproduction starts working on the engine as much as possible. The mechanics are the important part of the mechanics-map synthesis that makes Arma Arma.

Because DayZ changed everything for Bohemia. Arma 3 "has been quite successful" but there wasn't even a hint of a pause when I asked which of the company's games was most successful. "DayZ."

Well now we know where the companys focus is.

Yeah, it will just not sustain them for over ten years like the Arma franchise did

I guess the same as in Arma 2 wich is an acceptable solution. Still as expereince showed us that will mean that communities won´t play much with DLC content.
Are you saying that because of a sentiment that BI would be trying to lock some aspect of the MP experience, however cosmetic, behind a pay wall?
e.g. the next cashcow
Well now we know where the companys focus is.
I'm actually interested in just who exactly is the one quoted as answering "DayZ" without "even a hint of a pause" here -- for example, it'd be interesting coming from DnA or RiE, whereas complaining about Maruk saying it would be like complaining that bears do their business in the woods or that the sky is blue... ;)

What really catches my interest though is this from DnA:

"I personally really like consoles so I would love to see it on there, but for Arma 3, from the start it was developed as PC only, and it wouldn't do it justice - there wouldn't be an easy port to console. You'd really have to redesign stuff like how the controls work, and the interface, so for Arma 3 that's out of the scope. For something that is next, it is becoming much more likely to be multiplatform."
If this is how "multi-core usage optimization" comes about... I'm gonna laugh. :lol:

...Well now we know where the companys focus is.

Not really, it's just the truth that more people have been buying DayZ and have learned about BI through DayZ and not Arma. At my new job I've met people who learned about Arma back in the Armed Assault days, and that's what pretty much defined the game to them. Arma 3 reminds them of AA, which means they expect it to be shit and nothing to be bothered about.

DayZ does not have that baggage, and it is in many ways a theme more interesting to most people it seems than "soldier sim".

Arma still needs to prove that it is still a compelling concept, and not just a neat Idea from the turn of the millenium way past its prime. A3 is taking big steps in the right direction, but I am not sure that actual bold steps would make the Game fly better. If BI do anything drastic, they risk majorly alienating the old guard (who have been alienated by minor and superficial alterations already at this point, so what'd happen if BI actually decided to change things with the way the game works at heart is only to be imagined) while at the same time not landing a gameplay that works with people coming in from elsewhere: you'd get another Dragon Rising, essentially. Nothing complete, and nothing broken, just utterly mediocre and in the long run not worth remembering.

I am not sure what it is that A3 needs to work. Somehow I have the feeling that the community's answers to all problems would be "bipods" and "better AI", though....

Arma still needs to prove that it is still a compelling concept, and not just a neat Idea from the turn of the millenium way past its prime.
I actually really want to sig this... that, and perhaps we can agree that the from-time-to-time "sandbox, not milsim" mentions from devs and maybe even how hard the Zeus concept has been promoted -- I say promoted, especially if it's still only two devs out of fifty-to-seventy actually working on Zeus besides internal playtesting -- has something to do with this?

Well Bipods would definately be a good start and I can´t imagine anybody to feel offended by their introduction.

Yeah bipods and fastrope ;)

There's way more of a case for bipods than for fast-roping -- and if I correctly, while no dev has ever gone on the record as shooting down bipods/weapon resting, Ivan actually did say no to fast-roping as early as Gamescom 2012, according to Old Bear's interview/convention report.

I'm shocked on how many people here are so pessimistic and just mean. If I was a dev and fans acted like this I would hate my fans. It never crossed my mind that BI is all about the doesn't care. Your all demanding too much and expecting too much. Shotguns, Bipods, yeah it would be nice but not enough to not play the game, and If you have a job you probably won't mind spending a few dollars on a new DLC. I didn't buy the supporter edition and I would spend money on a new DLC any day.

I'm shocked on how many people here are so pessimistic and just mean. If I was a dev and fans acted like this I would hate my fans. It never crossed my mind that BI is all about the doesn't care. Your all demanding too much and expecting too much. Shotguns, Bipods, yeah it would be nice but not enough to not play the game, and If you have a job you probably won't mind spending a few dollars on a new DLC. I didn't buy the supporter edition and I would spend money on a new DLC any day.

Totally agree with this right here. Although most of my posts are reasonable requests, comments, suggestions, and criticism, all of that comes from my experience in Arma 3, and what I believe will make it a better, more immersive, and beneficial for players and the community. After all,, I have 1108 Hours in game since Alpha... Heh. (No, its not over kill)

There's way more of a case for bipods than for fast-roping -- and if I correctly, while no dev has ever gone on the record as shooting down bipods/weapon resting, Ivan actually did say no to fast-roping as early as Gamescom 2012, according to Old Bear's interview/convention report.

At the same time, the campaign had you play as Captain Miller, and Nikos was an arms dealer... I think it is safe to say that plans have changed quite a bit since then :-)

"sandbox, not milsim"

Yeah, and "Apples, not violins". Sounds silly ? It is. No connection between the two. Like in sandbox and milsim.

Sandbox does not preclude milsim, nor the other way around.

If you try to make a point by throwing around words, you'd better make sure it makes sense. This one doesn't.

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

You mix up fans with customers. Paying customers, actually. I'm always amazed that people would jump on a car dealer if they sold them a car without seats, but at the same time bitch at people for doing the same with software.

And for the record, I DID buy the supporter edition AND I would spent a few Euro on DLC if it were good.

Just mean ? I see a lot of people being called names by "optimistic people" (and vice versa, too). Talk about mean.

Unfortunately, almost everyone here is one-sided. You are either a "fanboy", or a "fixmoaner". No one even believes that someone may like some aspects of the game and doesn't like others. You're either labeled black or white. THAT is the real problem in this "community" these days.

I hope they allow us to make collections and share them.

collections of what?

collections of what?

Mod collections. Something along the lines of: "Use this Mod with this one and you will have a blast"

For example an effects collection that downloads JSRS and Blastcore for you.

For example an effects collection that downloads JSRS and Blastcore for you.

Or required addon selections for servers.

Edit: Never mind, not worth the time to think about it

Edited by Varanon