Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

I wouldn't expect it to be any longer than Adapt, no. We still hope that, overall, it'll be a longer campaign than Arma 2 (not counting the reloads because of, err, Manhattan 'features' :p)

Hum, if it's not longer than Adapt, I fear it to be too short.

When ArmA 3 was announced, I hope for a game like ArmA Cold War Assault, with a long campaign and many roles (grunt, pilot, tank crewman etc...).

Looks like we won't have something like this...

Yes, I'm pretty sure you did. I think it was in a SITREP or something.

Maybe you are confusing this with when they said the campaign won't have COOP?

Maybe another campaign, in a DLC...

When ArmA 3 was announced, I hope for a game like ArmA Cold War Assault, with a long campaign and many roles (grunt, pilot, tank crewman etc...).

Cold War Crisis and Resistance campaigns were not so long, i finished each in ~10hrs. ;)

Edited by tom3kb

First note, from the Convo above, the ending Campaign, how ever long it is, will be dedicated to the story line, keeping the role of Kerry. So don't expect Battlefield 3 Style Soldier, Pilot, Tank roles, at least for this campaign. It is possible that with DLC in the future, maybe a new situation in terms of a campaign way arise... Note two, nothing is being revealed. Lets leave the thread clean for a bit till be get some more interesting news. ^.^

Short?! If Win is as long as Adapt, the campaign will be atleast 10 hours when put together! (if you do the side missions)

Short?! If Win is as long as Adapt, the campaign will be atleast 10 hours when put together! (if you do the side missions)

Well, I did the whole campaign, including side missions, and it didn't take me that long.

Moreover, Side missions are not interesting, it's one man army style - which is a shame for an ArmA game.

Plus, doing the side mission has no impact at all.

Last but not least, if you only play the main missions, "Adapt" is really short - not many missions and they are rather short

Well, I did the whole campaign, including side missions, and it didn't take me that long.

Moreover, Side missions are not interesting, it's one man army style - which is a shame for an ArmA game.

Plus, doing the side mission has no impact at all.

Last but not least, if you only play the main missions, "Adapt" is really short - not many missions and they are rather short

No you haven't, you have played parts one and two, Survive and Adapt.

No you haven't, you have played parts one and two, Survive and Adapt.

Ok, was talking about the whole "adapt" campaign part...

My supposition is that if the campaign was all put together there would be a lot less controversy about about its length. No blame on BIS here; development has its limits. Maybe some people should just play it all in one go.

My supposition is that if the campaign was all put together there would be a lot less controversy about about its length. No blame on BIS here; development has its limits. Maybe some people should just play it all in one go.
This was outright suggested when people loaded up the game after receiving the WIN update -- to paraphrase, "you can wait for the whole thing if you don't want to wait in between episodes!"

This was outright suggested when people loaded up the game after receiving the WIN update -- to paraphrase, "you can wait for the whole thing if you don't want to wait in between episodes!"

Well that was the whole point of episodic content in the first place - be it The Walking Dead, or Half-Life 2 - get pieces of the whole thing earlier. The upside of this is the possibility to adapt (no pun intended) to new developments, and have other stuff already present for people to play with. Combined together, I think that the campaign will be pretty decent in length.

They already said the campaign will only have one ending.

Did they? Damn it.

Exactly!

Well that was the whole point of episodic content in the first place - be it The Walking Dead, or Half-Life 2 - get pieces of the whole thing earlier. The upside of this is the possibility to adapt (no pun intended) to new developments, and have other stuff already present for people to play with. Combined together, I think that the campaign will be pretty decent in length.

Frankly I like the episodic release schedule better, mainly because it's nice to have something to look forward to.

Frankly I like the episodic release schedule better, mainly because it's nice to have something to look forward to.

I would have preferred to have the complete campaign at release, but since that was not meant to be, episodic is fine better than having to wait. The only thing is that the narrative appears "chopped up" with episodic content, since you have to have cliffhangers or at least a clear conclusion of the episode... and in the case of Half-Life 2, I am still waiting for the bloody Episode 3.... Cliffhanger in Ep. 2 was... well don't want to spoil anything, let's just say it made me curious.

I would have preferred to have the complete campaign at release, but since that was not meant to be, episodic is fine better than having to wait. The only thing is that the narrative appears "chopped up" with episodic content, since you have to have cliffhangers or at least a clear conclusion of the episode... and in the case of Half-Life 2, I am still waiting for the bloody Episode 3.... Cliffhanger in Ep. 2 was... well don't want to spoil anything, let's just say it made me curious.
I think Half Life 2 is a pretty different example, since its narrative was developed on the go with loads of changes. My guess is that ArmA III campaign was thought (in its general lines) completely through, and not made up as it went on.

For example, originally HL2 had an entire level on that unspoiled detail you mentioned, and the protagonist of that level was to be the British accented commander you find along Route 17. If you're interested in more about the HL series, feel free to PM me, I have a nice source I can share.

Yay!

Did they? Damn it.

Jinzor, read RiE's post on 803.

In regards to the episodic schedule, I just think it would make more sense if the first episode came with release. It just seems so awful to have a game with a campaign that's released without it. All the same, I'm still highly excited about Win and the content coming with it. If we could just see the NATO jet now... Although, if there's one more cliffhangar I'll be pissed.

Although, if there's one more cliffhangar I'll be pissed.

Well, if there is another cliffhanger, that probably means they are doing another episode... Probably entitled "Get the T-shirt"...

Jinzor, read RiE's post on 803.

In regards to the episodic schedule, I just think it would make more sense if the first episode came with release. It just seems so awful to have a game with a campaign that's released without it. All the same, I'm still highly excited about Win and the content coming with it. If we could just see the NATO jet now... Although, if there's one more cliffhangar I'll be pissed.

Completely missed RiE's post, thanks.

As a small bonus for this mini-anniversary, we're including a new variant of the Slammer MBT in tomorrow's update. The Urban Purpose variant features a commander machine gun turret, a smaller caliber cannon, shorter barrel, and enhanced armor.

http://blog.realitygamer.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/ARMA_3__4.jpg

Maybe this one... more armor plates around, a small machinegun on the top of the tower, and maybe a 105mm cannon... :)

I just wonder what the tactical sensibility of equipping a completely different gun (of smaller caliber than the default one no less) on what surmounts to a TUSK kit on a normal Slammer...?

Why not go all the way and give it an autocannon and an AT launcher instead, make it some kind of NATO super heavy BMT?

I just wonder what the tactical sensibility of equipping a completely different gun (of smaller caliber than the default one no less) on what surmounts to a TUSK kit on a normal Slammer...?

Why not go all the way and give it an autocannon and an AT launcher instead, make it some kind of NATO super heavy BMT?

A smaller caliber for an Urban Purpose variant of the slammer makes perfect sense to me, would be cool to see the internal 60mm mortar working too

Regular Slammer already have a short cannon , so why you would use weaker cannon on TUSK like armour? that doesnt make sense

Far more sense it would be if it had bigger cannon + ATGM missiles + 60mm mortar

And now it starts again. So many people were asking for this one special tank to be in the game, because it was shown on previous screenshots.

Now Bohemia does exactly that - and it is wrong for some people...

I am looking forward to this new Slammer-Variation!