Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Snow/winter terrains offer some of the best, most atmospheric game play, for those with an imagination of course. Smokey chimneys, a units breathe in the cold nights air, a snowy night seeing a town, village or camp lighting, fires etc. All adds up to a really great immersive feel.

I agree. The maps I'm most fond of are indeed winter/N.Europe themed. Namalsk and most of FDF's island. (OT: Gah, another Winter War mod would have been awesome)

We've already had some great snow maps we know they'll work and the community can do them.

But we've yet to see a true jungle/pacific map, I'd like to see BIS figure out how to create one without the sort of compromises the community has had to make with jungles.

Whatever BIS does in this area though, its great news.

Japan, sprawling cities to ancient village to snowy mountian. Could make for some very good terrain if done well, offers some very interesting foliage and fits nicely with the future setting.

Exactly. Also, the sound of footsteps. Moving around becomes scary because it is so loud.

---------- Post added at 17:04 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

Terrain covered with grass - boring.

Terrain covered with sand - boring.

Terrain covered with rocks - boring.

You get the point. Or not. Of course I don't want to just have a straight plain without features. I don't mean arctic like in "drifting ice floats". Would you call northern Skyrim boring? If you do, then fine. As I said before, it's a matter of taste. II like it.

thats why i said, if, then with dynamic snow at least.

something different to cherno, taki, altis.....hmmm that could only be wintery right?

if it is a winter approach does this mean new units ;)

obviously snowy textures and blizzards vice versa! I hope the map is decent size also but playable at the same time

---------- Post added at 13:12 ---------- Previous post was at 13:11 ----------

We've already had some great snow maps we know they'll work and the community can do them.

But we've yet to see a true jungle/pacific map, I'd like to see BIS figure out how to create one without the sort of compromises the community has had to make with jungles.

Whatever BIS does in this area though, its great news.

proper jungles like the amazon! really tall trees and the feel of getting lost!!

something different to cherno, taki, altis.....hmmm that could only be wintery right?

you could also think different in another way..

untill now it was pretty much always US that GOES to war in some country far away. why not being on the defensive side for once? CSAT could be invading the US for example, and we could have to fight it off.

A good map needs variation. Making the player think about best approach to a target using natural cover and ground features.

It doesn't matter if the ground is sand, snow, grass etc.

What's needed are different forms of cover such as dense foliage, rocks, gullies, undulating terrain etc to make movements require more tactical thinking.

A huge step ahead would be a terrain with river/stream (I know they want to add that) and even cave. Jungles would be good if AIs are properly reacting to this kind of environment.

you could also think different in another way..

untill now it was pretty much always US that GOES to war in some country far away. why not being on the defensive side for once? CSAT could be invading the US for example, and we could have to fight it off.

that would be brilliant actually... like the film Olympus has fallen etc

I drove home from a weekend in Aachen today, and for me that means passing through the Ardennes. The lowlands of Belgium are mostly snow-free these days, but passing into the higher parts of the Ardennes, you suddenly hit snow, just pass around a corner, and you are in a Winter world. I would love to see a map like that, starting green in the lowlands and with high mountains with snore covered pine woods. That would be awesome

hopefully the new DLC will be as big as OA with performance improvements

I drove home from a weekend in Aachen today, and for me that means passing through the Ardennes. The lowlands of Belgium are mostly snow-free these days, but passing into the higher parts of the Ardennes, you suddenly hit snow, just pass around a corner, and you are in a Winter world. I would love to see a map like that, starting green in the lowlands and with high mountains with snore covered pine woods. That would be awesome

I want that, and a winter-time Afghanistan-type terrain (not that Takistani crap). Or, better yet, seasons so that with the winter-month settings, the terrain and it's ground texture will reflect that terrain during that month. So, snow for some places. That'd be cool. That, and wet surfaces.

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 ----------

that would be brilliant actually... like the film Olympus has fallen etc

Yeah, but then you'd get all the people who'd say that BI is copying COD...

I thought about an archipelago or river delta or what about some Norwegian fjords? They could freeze over in winter and lose the snow in summer depending on the date set in the mission.

EDIT:If you're wondering, I'm talking about the general area of Sitka, Alaska.

Actually, continuing with the "CSAT attack on America" theme, a good map would be Southern Alaska. Rocky pebble beaches, beautiful jungles, sweet rivers, foggy marshes, pine forests, fern meadows, epic glaciers, snowy mountains, cities, towns, rancheros, WWII bunkers, NORAD Tracking stations, military bases, airfields, black rocks, big mountains, and more :D. In WWII the Japanese actually staged an attack on Alaska.

---------- Post added at 03:31 ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 ----------

It is a good way to invade the West. Unless you just walk in from Mexico :P

Edited by Gutsnav

Yeah, but then you'd get all the people who'd say that BI is copying COD

**** them, cod doesn't allow you to make your own missions so... screw them even moar

Actually, continuing with the "CSAT attack on America" theme, a good map would be Southern Alaska. Rocky pebble beaches, beautiful jungles, sweet rivers, foggy marshes, pine forests, fern meadows, epic glaciers, snowy mountains, cities, towns, rancheros, WWII bunkers, NORAD Tracking stations, military bases, airfields, black rocks, big mountains, and more :D. In WWII the Japanese actually staged an attack on Alaska.

The terrain on Kiska and Attu during the Aleutian Islands Campaign in WW2 perhaps wasn't as interesting and diverse as the terrain you're describing for mainland Alaska though. :D

The terrain on Kiska and Attu during the Aleutian Islands Campaign in WW2 perhaps wasn't as interesting and diverse as the terrain you're describing for mainland Alaska though. :D

Yeah not much fun to be had on those islands. I'm talking more like Sitka, Alaska.

Is it a given they'll continue with the same storyline? They didn't with OA.

I'm hoping they wrap this story up and move onto something different. I'd love Vietnam or some fictional jungle warfare setting. Snow is neat, but at the end of the day it's just white ground over the same rocky, barren landscape we've always had.

If Maruk's old comments from back in the day when Operation Flashpoint 2 was a thing that was happening (before the Codemasters split and what would become Armed Assault) still hold true to his current sentiments, then you can forget about BI ever doing a 'Nam game.

Is it a given they'll continue with the same storyline? They didn't with OA.

I'm hoping they wrap this story up and move onto something different. I'd love Vietnam or some fictional jungle warfare setting. Snow is neat, but at the end of the day it's just white ground over the same rocky, barren landscape we've always had.

It was related though. And sequential, and in the same region. Given that, I'd expect either another Mediterranean terrain (unlikely given that BI said they were doing something different) or, more likely, a Pacific terrain. Sure, forests have been done before, but have tropical jungles with Asian architecture?

Most of players in this thread since few days, wait only the new map... and didn't know all the details of the actually maps of Altis...

If a new map was the only content than we wait... i complain the devs about the future of the Arma series. A new map yes, Arma was genius ... (:mad:) but there is most problems on major anothers sides of the game (medical, weapon rest, animation, bugs and more, functional module and more ...

We say already than we don't have any map from the studio with cave in Arma 3. The graphical structure of the terrain was not good to implement under-structure in comparaison of the VBS version.

Certainly, we could imagine and indian terrain or jungle content than we had never seen in Arma and that's all.

Finally, don't lost the future of the community. We had already the tools to create maps, units and more and we don't see on the forum a great participation of the users in comparaison of Arma 2 for the news addons and maps who coming.

Good luck to the devs and the modders.