Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

I remember when they released BF3, you'd think they released the biggest piece of junk ever on those EA forums, but in the end, it ended up being a classic for that genre and now they are going to pass COD. Nah.....no rage here, mate. Only spoiled little ones crying about the game IMHO.

Most BF3 complains were actually pretty valid. But yeah, some complains here don't make sense.

You guys never cease to amaze me with your crystal balls that tell you exactly what you want to. It's amazing how you think the silent majority is of your own opinion. You know, with them being, like, silent ?

HAHAHA.....come on, dude.... come back to the real world. If you're playing this game and you have no complaints with it, then why post something? If you have a complaint, then you're gonna complain .....PERIOD!!! IMHO, most people are happy with this game (for the most part) and they don't come on to this forum and say, "I have no complaints.....nice job". Sure, some compliment BIS, but most that are happy with the game are silent...that is just fact. Those that have complaints "chime in" and criticize.....it's that simple. I love the game. I don't have very many complaints because I'm not a spoiled kid, I'm a 47 year old man who appreciates what BIS has done and I enjoy the many hours of enjoyment that they've given me with this great milsim (game).

Again, BIS will improve on the game over time....most of us over 40 are patient and won't criticize, we know that BIS will deliver.

IMHO, most people are happy with this game (for the most part) and they don't come on to this forum and say, "I have no complaints.....nice job". Sure, some compliment BIS, but most that are happy with the game are silent...that is just fact.

That would be me for example.

I did compliment BIS on creating Altis (and the overall engine/lighting revamp), but am generally silent since the release, as... well, what's there to say? I did not have high expectations so it's not a case of disappointment here. I only expected A3 to be an overhauled platform for future mods to come and this is what I got. Also, I'm closer to 35 than 40 but also do agree on that patience part. Arma 3 will stay on my HD for the years to come, just as all previous BI titles are along with several other heavily moddable titles with still active/creative community (like Star Trek Bridge Commander). "I want it all and I want it now" is not a kind of attitude that's good with games like these.

Edited by topas

Most BF3 complains were actually pretty valid. But yeah, some complains here don't make sense.

And some do make sense.

I'm really sick and tired of being called stupid, "spoilt little one" (thanks, rhetus777), whiner or rager. I am not raging, I'm not spoilt, I'm not stupid. There is a ton of VALID concerns about the game, and it's about time you people acknowledge that.

I don't say it's all bad, to the contrary, but you should all get off your high horses and for once accept that there are people that are not content with the game, be it technical issues, content issues, realism issue or what have you.

Yes, some complaints are silly, but some praises are silly too, like people hailing the delay of the campaign as "great news" and some such nonsense.

The big thing to consider is really: Any criticism on Arma 3 is NOT a personal insult to you guys, not even an insult to the developers. It's CONCERN from users and fans of the game about the long term goal.

And hell, if I look at the major points that are criticized in the reviews, you will see that those are similar to what most people "whine" about here.

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

HAHAHA.....come on, dude.... come back to the real world.

I'm well in the real world. I have my doubts about you, though, since you project your own opinion on the "silent majority". This is usually a tool of the deluded.

but most that are happy with the game are silent...that is just fact.

The only fact is that they are silent. If someone doesn't voice their opinion, you assume that they are fine ? Geez, you should become a politician.

I don't have very many complaints because I'm not a spoiled kid, I'm a 47 year old man who appreciates what BIS has done and I enjoy the many hours of enjoyment that they've given me with this great milsim (game).

Well, I'm 45, and I appreciate what BIS has done. So much that I will happily tell them where they went wrong. Because I care a lot about the series. I'm not a spoilt kid either. And quite frankly, age has nothing to do with it whatsoever. It's perception that counts. You perceive it as good, and I'm happy for you. I perceive it as not bad, it has potential, but needs some work. There are obvious flaws, like the missing content and the copy pasted vehicles (and for me, the lack of realism), but these are dismissed by you as whining ?

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

Also, I'm closer to 35 than 40 but also do agree on that patience part. Arma 3 will stay on my HD for the years to come, just as all previous BI titles are along with several other heavily moddable titles with still active/creative community (like Star Trek Bridge Commander). "I want it all and I want it now" is not a kind of attitude that's good with games like these.

It's not about patience. I am sure Arma 3 will become better over time. The point is, why not speak out loud what is wrong ? That's what I don't get. Why am I a "whiner" when I openly tell what I perceive as wrong ? Why am I stupid for pointing out problems, especially during the beta phase, that was specifically MEANT to collect feedback ?

Arma 3 will stay on my disk forever, most likely. I still have OFP, A1 and A2 installed. They won't go either. But feedback is feedback, both positive and negative, and most of the time, any feedback is valuable for a developer. And quite honestly, I think y feedback was mostly constructive and argumentative, instead of ramblings about how shit things are. That's why I'm so p'o'ed at the constant "you are whiners" canon on the forum.

I agree that it's useless to re-iterate it over and over again. As useless as re-stating every damn time that we are "whiners".

And some do make sense.

I'm really sick and tired of being called stupid, "spoilt little one" (thanks, rhetus777), whiner or rager. I am not raging, I'm not spoilt, I'm not stupid. There is a ton of VALID concerns about the game, and it's about time you people acknowledge that.

I don't say it's all bad, to the contrary, but you should all get off your high horses and for once accept that there are people that are not content with the game, be it technical issues, content issues, realism issue or what have you.

Yes, some complaints are silly, but some praises are silly too, like people hailing the delay of the campaign as "great news" and some such nonsense.

The big thing to consider is really: Any criticism on Arma 3 is NOT a personal insult to you guys, not even an insult to the developers. It's CONCERN from users and fans of the game about the long term goal.

And hell, if I look at the major points that are criticized in the reviews, you will see that those are similar to what most people "whine" about here.

I never called you "Stupid"....I never called you Spoiled" and I never called you a "Whiner or rager". It's okay to give feedback on what your see wrong within the game.....it's okay to even give your opinion on "how you see the game and it's short coming" (in your opinion), but to insult and run down BIS because "you" don't agree with their opinion is just wrong and immature. Again, BIS "marches to their own tune" .... you either accept it or you don't. BIS has stated: " We like your feedback to bugs in the game and your opinion on what you think the game should be like from your point of view, but we will not tolerate insults." IOW's, help them with bugs...... give your 'quick opinion' on what you would like to see in the game...... and then wait for a response. It's that simple.

I never called you "Stupid"....I never called you Spoiled" and I never called you a "Whiner or rager".

Sorry, I wasn't referring to you in particular. It's the general way of treating people that criticize the game.

It's okay to give feedback on what your see wrong within the game.....it's okay to even give your opinion on "how you see the game and it's short coming" (in your opinion), but to insult and run down BIS because "you" don't agree with their opinion is just wrong and immature. Again, BIS "marches to their own tune" .... you either accept it or you don't. BIS has stated: " We like your feedback to bugs in the game and your opinion on what you think the game should be like from your point of view, but we will not tolerate insults." IOW's, help them with bugs...... give your 'quick opinion' on what you would like to see in the game...... and then wait for a response. It's that simple.

if you check the feedback tracker, you will see that I submitted a few tickets (nearly 20, maybe not top issue poster, but quite a number). Why did I do that ? Because I wanted the game to be good. What the developer does with it is theirs to decide. Some things I proposed were even implemented.

The point I was trying to make is that ANY kind of negative feedback is ALWAYS greeted with disdain from some people. Granted, some people are overly vocal about things, bringing them up at every occasion. But there's an equal number of people that jump on these postings and counter them with the same reprisals over and over again.

I even admit, I jump to these postings way too often, when that small voice in my head just say "Don't.Do.It.". If we could all learn to not to jump each other for every post that is made that doesn't correspond to our perception of the game, or AT THE LEAST try to be argumentative about it instead of just contradicting or name calling, this discussion would be much more pleasant for everyone.

The funny part is, we all want Arma to be good. We're just not on the same page on how this should be achieved.

Sorry, I wasn't referring to you in particular. It's the general way of treating people that criticize the game.

if you check the feedback tracker, you will see that I submitted a few tickets (nearly 20, maybe not top issue poster, but quite a number). Why did I do that ? Because I wanted the game to be good. What the developer does with it is theirs to decide. Some things I proposed were even implemented.

The point I was trying to make is that ANY kind of negative feedback is ALWAYS greeted with disdain from some people. Granted, some people are overly vocal about things, bringing them up at every occasion. But there's an equal number of people that jump on these postings and counter them with the same reprisals over and over again.

I even admit, I jump to these postings way too often, when that small voice in my head just say "Don't.Do.It.". If we could all learn to not to jump each other for every post that is made that doesn't correspond to our perception of the game, or AT THE LEAST try to be argumentative about it instead of just contradicting or name calling, this discussion would be much more pleasant for everyone.

The funny part is, we all want Arma to be good. We're just not on the same page on how this should be achieved.

Good post mate. I love the game and I will criticise it when I feel it needs it. But overall BIS have done a pretty good job. The next patch should fix most of the AI issues as I noticed last night the AI are doing the "spinny" thing again. Once that is fixed and we have other various fixes the game will have improved once again. We all know and sorry to repeat this, that the game will improve given time. Just like OFP, A1 A2 and A2 OA.

And that is why Devs had some well deserved beers (probably more than the usual) yesterday, among other things.

HAHAHA.....come on, dude.... come back to the real world. If you're playing this game and you have no complaints with it, then why post something? If you have a complaint, then you're gonna complain .....PERIOD!!! IMHO, most people are happy with this game (for the most part) and they don't come on to this forum and say, "I have no complaints.....nice job". Sure, some compliment BIS, but most that are happy with the game are silent...that is just fact. Those that have complaints "chime in" and criticize.....it's that simple. I love the game. I don't have very many complaints because I'm not a spoiled kid, I'm a 47 year old man who appreciates what BIS has done and I enjoy the many hours of enjoyment that they've given me with this great milsim (game).

Again, BIS will improve on the game over time....most of us over 40 are patient and won't criticize, we know that BIS will deliver.

Maybe you are the one who should return to the real world (look here).

You should not devalue posts by suggesting that they were created by spoiled kids. So did you discredited yourself.

Edited by DragonBaron

Report In! With Marek Spanel - http://www.arma3.com/news/report-in-marek-spanel-ceo#.UjMP_j8pdAA

_______-

EDIT: Good read!

I think the next big thing could be opening up Arma 3 to paid user-made content. (...) I want to push this effort in two distinct ways, and I consider these as a priority for next year. We are going to announce more specific details in the coming months.

(...) We see DLCs (both free and paid) as a great way to keep expanding the game even after its initial release. However, an official announcement will be made when we have everything clear.

(...) what we are going to do will be similar to Arma 1: we are going to release the entire Arma 2 library to the community and allow them create any derivative work within Arma 3. More details will be announced very soon.

_______

This means there should not be a dramatic split of the user base, something that we did have to enforce with release of Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead one year after the original Arma 2 came out.

Edited by Smurf

Originally, we had an idea that was similar to Take On Rearmed. Unfortunately, upgrading the Arma 2 massive content library to Arma 3 standards is beyond what we can do in reasonable time. So instead, what we are going to do will be similar to Arma 1: we are going to release the entire Arma 2 library to the community and allow them create any derivative work within Arma 3. More details will be announced very soon.

All in ARMA is done by one {awesome} guy but BIS cant? Come on guys, unofficial support leaves mission and mod makers in limbo. Take some time to bring them over properly, or pay .kju for his work and make it official!

[edit] just to be clear, I don't mean upgrade anything such as making weapons support attachments, I just mean make the game not crash with a combination of A2 and A3 stuff playing together, have the attachment boxes turn red if you've got an A2 weapon for example, and have A2 vehicles obey the same physics as A3, I'm not saying it'd be easy just that it'd be worth it for the community

Edited by El_MUERkO

so for example... I44 mod (for arguments sake) can eventually charge people if they wanted to go that far with the mod? doesn't bother me in the slightest... I would happily pay a few £ for something decent i.e. [i44, ACE, and any other total conversion mods that may be on the arise]

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

All in ARMA is done by one {awesome} guy but BIS cant? Come on guys, unofficial support leaves mission and mod makers in limbo. Take some time to bring them over properly, or pay .kju for his work and make it official!

I agree... KJU has done an amazing job and AT LEAST deserves some official support... :)

There is precedence with RO2 and Rising Storm. It was good.

Hope it diesn't create an "ego war" or crack things up.

And I will quote myself because there are some nice points for those only eyeballing without reading all the things:

I think the next big thing could be opening up Arma 3 to paid user-made content. (...) I want to push this effort in two distinct ways, and I consider these as a priority for next year. We are going to announce more specific details in the coming months.

(...) We see DLCs (both free and paid) as a great way to keep expanding the game even after its initial release. However, an official announcement will be made when we have everything clear.

(...) what we are going to do will be similar to Arma 1: we are going to release the entire Arma 2 library to the community and allow them create any derivative work within Arma 3. More details will be announced very soon.

_______

This means there should not be a dramatic split of the user base, something that we did have to enforce with release of Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead one year after the original Arma 2 came out.

So instead, what we are going to do will be similar to Arma 1: we are going to release the entire Arma 2 library to the community and allow them create any derivative work within Arma 3. More details will be announced very soon.

Think that can close just aboutt 90% of the threads in the foums now .

Fantastic news and i now fel i have underpaid :)

Report In! With Marek Spanel

Two quotes:

"Furthermore, we want to be even more careful than in the past not to fracture the community with expansion and or DLCs. This means there should not be a dramatic split of the user base, something that we did have to enforce with release of

one year after the original Arma 2 came out."

"I think the next big thing could be opening up Arma 3 to paid user-made content."

These two are in total and utter contradiction to each other... so, not BIS will split the user base, but the user base will split the user base ?

Two quotes:

These two are in total and utter contradiction to each other... so, not BIS will split the user base, but the user base will split the user base ?

Lite versions?

Better not start to especulate until we have more information on that because it WILL create some unnecessary discussions with too little information.

And BI have a long road with A3 before jumping into that.

Lite versions?

Better not start to especulate until we have more information on that because it WILL create some unnecessary discussions with too little information.

+30 smurf before BIS has to fix the actual mess.

Lite versions?

Well, they could do lite versions of DLC themselves. I just don't understand how DLC from BIS would split the community and DLC from other sources would not. I'm not at all speculating here, it's a valid question.

Oa was not a dlc. Was an expansion. You are comparing downloadable content (made by bis or 3rd party) with expansions, which is foolish

All in ARMA is done by one {awesome} guy but BIS cant?
Well, AiA is configs, not all-new 3D models and textures... but I suspect that if it's not easy (by your take) then Maruk is not interested, since his definition of "upgrading the Arma 2 massive content library to Arma 3 standards" seems to be just recreating said Arma 2 content as Arma 3-native content, and when they only have so many of each type of developer...
You act as if free user-made content wasn't already splitting the user base; it sounds more like he's considering a change in the BI Tools EULA terms (thinking of FSX).

Best news ever thank you

That’s a lot to look forward to! How about the Arma 2 content library? Will there be some form of backwards compatibility?

Originally, we had an idea that was similar to Take On Rearmed. Unfortunately, upgrading the Arma 2 massive content library to Arma 3 standards is beyond what we can do in reasonable time. So instead, what we are going to do will be similar to Arma 1: we are going to release the entire Arma 2 library to the community and allow them create any derivative work within Arma 3. More details will be announced very soon..

You act as if free user-made content wasn't already splitting the user base; it sounds more like he's considering a change in the BI Tools EULA terms (thinking of FSX).

I don't "act" at all. User made content is free for everyone to download. Paid DLC is not. What's so hard to understand about that ? And the question was why is DLC from BIS splitting the community while paid DLC from users does not ? What is so hard to understand about this question ? Is there some unwritten rule that you have to contradict everything you read on the forum ?

Pufu's answer was halfway valid, but of course I'm foolish now as well.

Honestly, guys, learn to at least show some respect for each other. It seems the new standard is to piss on each other. If people here can not write a single message without insulting someone, what's the point in discussing ?

I'm really fed up with this shit. Go on, report me if you must

I think what Varanon is trying to get at is that while BI could do a "Lite" DLC, how would someone just creating a pay for mod, like say ACE do a "Lite" version? Or what if they didn't want to do a "Lite" version? I'm not against payed for addons and stuff because I've always thought that modders should get something out of their work. But it does open a new can of worms as far as how "compatible" everything will be or how segregating mods will become if it goes down that road.

I'm fully against paid addons for a few reasons:

1) Already hard enough to get people to download free addons, but now you have to convince people to buy them as well? (Lite versions will be REQUIRED in my opinion)

2) People will stop sharing models with each other because of this. Right now there are a lot of great modellers out there that gracious provide their base models to people such as myself (who cannot model worth a shit), but I like to re-texture them, make small changes to the models and provide my own configs. I don't want to see this stop because of money.

3) There will be a huge reduction of free addons available because every single person is going to want money for their time and effort (who'd blame them). I think this will "cheapen" the experience of the only reason any of us actually play ArmA (for the custom made content).

4) I wouldn't consider about 70% of content that is released to the community worth money. Don't get me wrong, the models are usually not the problem. It's the config work that is usually really poorly done. I have no problem with free addons having issues, especially because I can just fix config issues for my personal use, but as soon as I have to pay for something, I expect top notch quality in ALL aspects.

I think BIS shouldn't ruin the fact that we MIGHT actually FINALLY get in-game addon downloading with a bullshit idea like this.

About time al the Addon makers who make quality addons got reward for there efforts , a fantastic idea and well deserved for those who now have to spend many weeks if not years (terrains) slogging there fingrs and brains out.

quality will obviously dictate so im sure the whats worth what will be naturally worked out by that at th ed of the day the requirement of an addon is merely dictated by a string in a mission textfile created by a mission maker , so there cant possibly be any argument about community splitting as nothing is really forced on anyone

Caveat ( free lite versions for mp continuoty of course )