Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

It's in the narrative from 1:10 here:

http://www.gamestar.de/videos/gamescom-2013,95/arma-3,71557.html

And that is a great feature, if it turns out to be in-release.

That video you linked, at 4:07. On the east side of Altis, is that a mountain covered with snow??

EDIT: ohh nevermind just salt lagoon..

Edited by -Ghost-TF

It's in the narrative from 1:10 here:

http://www.gamestar.de/videos/gamescom-2013,95/arma-3,71557.html

And that is a great feature, if it turns out to be in-release.

Thanks. Yeah, it would be a great feature, although I think the armor penetration model is still not on par with, for example, Iron Front... that was just stunning

Following actual reveals concerning the game, here is some information and background story regarding the OPFOR faction from Jay :)

Well, in general it does not matter, obviously.

I just personally find that logo uninteresting, and I do not think that much time was invested to generate it.

Not really. Our Top Beer Lifter spent some weeks working through various prototypes before we agreed on the current CSAT flag. We did research and put together various ideas. Each symbol represents a treaty member signatory and the clean lines reflect something like the new technocratic focus. You might be surprised how many weird and ugly symbols are out there! E.g.:

In my view, using arabic/persian/eastern symbology would be cheap and rather pointless. CSAT isn't a product of a religious or particularly ethnic grouping, per se; rather, as the name suggests, it's a 'strategic' alliance of economic and geopolitical interests. A power bloc extending from the Pacific to the Mediterranean.

Even the name "Canton Strategic Alliance Treaty" doesn't tell me anything.

That's not quite the name. It's Canton Protocol Strategic Alliance Treaty. The 'Canton Protocol' was treaty signed in Canton by the member states. It was written in the previous back story information, I believe. We still need to extend the background/faction/context information on the web. Recently we've been focused on/consumed by getting the basic structure of the factions/ORBAT up to speed (note first bullet point) and getting the sandbox platform and features performing better. This has been our top priority up to this point, alongside Altis, and I can make little apology for that, given the circumstances of the development, and this has been part of the renewed focus of development. :)

Especially since the original premise for A3 was so promising for me.

Despite the other issues we've faced, I think that, anyway, Iran invading France and Germany didn't inspire much. Iran invading Western Europe - why? Because they're foreign bad guys? Ok. :j: Much of the original story must remain in place, though, so if you liked it, the campaign is somewhat still rooted in the early decisions made; some decisions and assets are rather set in stone, but the focus has pivoted away from special forces operators and so on.

Anyway, the situation we're looking at now is where traditional powers in Europe are looking inward at their flat-lining economies, mass unemployment, and broken societies - decades of recession in the west. We're talking about a situation that's seen major civil disorder across European capitals, the fall of governments and economies all along the Mediterranean rim.

Altis is something like a nation the size and scope of Malta. It's strategically important because it's the new 'front line' between growing CSAT influence and diminishing NATO authority and resources. This is a nation that's experienced brutal civil war. Previously a part of the EU, its economy collapsed, which was followed by a period of violent rioting and disorder. In the midst of this, the armed forces seized power and put down down the rioting with a heavy hand.

It was at this point in time that NATO moved in and put a stop to the brutality: an enforced cease-fire with boots on the ground. Partly under the auspices of humanitarian motivation - and partly because the new military regime were moving closer toward CSAT's sphere of influence - NATO observation bases on the island were considered to be important, and - before Altis broke away from the EU - The British used to have Sovereign Base Area agreements in place, with Altis having been part of the Empire up until gaining their independence in the 60s.

As time passed, the US became more concerned about strategic interests and influence in the Pacific, while European powers struggle with serious domestic issues and investment. Traditional strategic enemies aren't going to march through the streets of Paris and Berlin, but angry, disaffected citizens might well. Consequently, the US-led force based on Altis is now in the process of a staged drawdown, tasked to decommission the bases and coordinate the scrapping of military equipment and vehicles that they can't afford to ship back home.

I actually do not expect it to be as bad as I am painting it here.

Well, you're doing a lot of work with that paintbrush of yours at the moment! :cool:

AnyHOO... I think I've derailed the development branch discussion for long enough. As Pettka stated, he'll investigate what might be done about some of the technical concerns of the flags on the soldiers, but makes no promises. I believe there's another thread for the story related discussions somewhere!

Best,

RiE

Wall of text. We need some

to explain that.

It sounds more plausible than the 3rd WW like scenario that was the initial thing and, well, could be something that is happening right now.

PS: I would take any of those "weird and ugly symbols" over the cell logo.

Uh, it's an unofficial preview on a forum, not the actual intro for the game.

Following actual reveals concerning the game, here is some information and background story regarding the OPFOR faction from Jay :)

And, so, is this Canton Province or Guangzhou (historically called Canton according to Wikipedia) in China that we are talking about?

Of course not. The small liberal arts colleges of Ohio declared their allegiance to Mao and formed a breakaway republic with Canton as its capital.

Of course not. The small liberal arts colleges of Ohio declared their allegiance to Mao and formed a breakaway republic with Canton as its capital.

Just making sure it isn't some fictional Mediterranean country that's taking the place of Iran...

It was previously discussed back here.

Thanks. I assume, though, that the computation will most likely not take the angle of the incoming projectile in regards to the armor under consideration ? In other words, it's not a "real" armor penetration system, but rather some sort of different damage thresholds, i.e. if the damage done to one part exceed a certain threshold, the shot is penetrating the armor, while it wouldn't do any (or much less) damage if the shot's damage is below the threshold ?

IMO the dust/dirt around the MBT cannon when it shoots has to be way more than it's at the current state.

See it here: http://www.gamestar.de/videos/gamescom-2013,95/arma-3,71557.html

Compared to a real life Merkava shooting: https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1017298_591560654200142_69310583_n.jpg

I know the ground surface might be more sandy and different, but Greece is not known for it's juicy grass landscapes. So I'd say increase the dirt. A lot. :)

Otherwise, I'm glad we have more Israeli stuff inside a game, seems rare these days.

IMO the dust/dirt around the MBT cannon when it shoots has to be way more than it's at the current state.

Compared to a real life Merkava shooting: https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1017298_591560654200142_69310583_n.jpg

I know the ground surface might be more sandy and different, but Greece is not known for it's juicy grass landscapes. So I'd say increase the dirt. A lot. :)

Otherwise, I'm glad we have more Israeli stuff inside a game, seems rare these days.

Aye, the more dirt the better. Higher reaching smoke plumes also, please.

PS: I would take any of those "weird and ugly symbols" over the cell logo.

They weren't evil-looking enough, I guess.

And what's wrong with UNASUR logo? It's beautiful.

Bye bye frame rate.

Hellbeardhad a great explanation on this..I don't know why his post isn't showing now but when it does I'll remove it from mine.

Edited by PurePassion
The post has been moved to the development feedback thread.

Thanks. I assume, though, that the computation will most likely not take the angle of the incoming projectile in regards to the armor under consideration ?

The calculation of bullet penetration and deflection has always taken the angle into account. No reason why it shouldn't do so here.

The calculation of bullet penetration and deflection has always taken the angle into account. No reason why it shouldn't do so here.

Really ? I'm talking about effective armor penetration, i.e. the steeper the angle, the longer the round needs to travel through the armor to hit. I wasn't aware that this has been in Arma already. Good news.

I don't want to see everything before I get the full release, be nice for some surprises...

Really ? I'm talking about effective armor penetration, i.e. the steeper the angle, the longer the round needs to travel through the armor to hit. I wasn't aware that this has been in Arma already. Good news.

Although penetration now is a fancy thing... still you need 3 rpgs from ANY side to destroy Panther now, even to the front. It would be nice if that would also matter.

Should be more than 3 from the front, should also disable rather than destroy.

Damage should not be cumulative when it comes to AT weapons.

If the front armor is supposed to be 500mm or more of RHA, than it should take dozens of (for example) PG-7VM rounds to do any damage, and even then it should just wound the crew.

And if an RPG can ever penetrate the rear or sides, it should be able to do so on the first shot as well as the third.

Please don't gamify everything with predictable damage-steps. Randomness if the greatest tool for those striving for simplicity, realism and fun.

We know that ACE-like systems are more realistic, now tell me which is more fun...

Packing RPG rounds in cases of three so you know you can systematically destroy every Panther in the mission, or holding your breath as your rocket either: bounces off the vehicle, stuns the crew and creates a suspenseful ten seconds where you don't know whether you have succeeded, or watching the ammo cook off in a spectacular fireball?

I'd say 1-2 to rear(engine compartment)=disable, 3-4 to front armor to disable etc. I'am surprised this being based in future that we at the least did'nt have some kind of upgraded armor penetration system for armor an at the least maybe reactive armor/blowoff panels etc. When the APC's 1s came out, firing 1 of the Opfor AT rounds an it just seemed to bounce off it. Just have to adjust tactics when fighting against armor etc just like in ArmA1-2.

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 AM ----------

Yeah in ArmA2 playing as OPFOR I always carried at least 2 RPG7 VR's an as Blue 3 SMAW AA an 1 HEDP's when planning on fighting tanks/apcs. Don't care for the new sights on OPfor AT which I've had on loadout since before beta so hav'nt played with At weapons in A3 in awhile other than snap shots ingame.

Damage should not be cumulative when it comes to AT weapons.

If the front armor is supposed to be 500mm or more of RHA, than it should take dozens of (for example) PG-7VM rounds to do any damage, and even then it should just wound the crew.

And if an RPG can ever penetrate the rear or sides, it should be able to do so on the first shot as well as the third.

Please don't gamify everything with predictable damage-steps. Randomness if the greatest tool for those striving for simplicity, realism and fun.

We know that ACE-like systems are more realistic, now tell me which is more fun...

Packing RPG rounds in cases of three so you know you can systematically destroy every Panther in the mission, or holding your breath as your rocket either: bounces off the vehicle, stuns the crew and creates a suspenseful ten seconds where you don't know whether you have succeeded, or watching the ammo cook off in a spectacular fireball?

So, Altis is now based on Malta? Not only was Malta mentioned here, but it also matches with gaining independence from the Brits in the 1960s, and being a (former, in the game) EU member.

So, Altis is now based on Malta? Not only was Malta mentioned here, but it also matches with gaining independence from the Brits in the 1960s, and being a (former, in the game) EU member.

I think the idea was that is similar to Malta in scope, political structure and/or military structure