Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Ive been playing since OFP and i have to say despite its short comings i really enjoy arma3 and the capability it can offer. i feel that arma2 was "clunky" in comparison and is less enjoyable to play because of this, in my opinion anyway. as for the whole 40+ weapons thing i love having a core group of weapons that can be customised to nearly any situation, not have to decide on 105856739204 weapons for all the scenarios i could encounter. you can have a core firearm and carry additions in your kit to change out as required.

Also regarding the lack of content at release, it is a bit disappointing, however ill reserve judgement on the final version WHEN IVE ACTUALLY PLAYED IT.

#flame suit on

Do you know many clans that use one vehicle mods? Adding mods to a list that add only a single tank or a plane is a barely controllable mess. Especially if you use a modlist for SU it will create so many folders for all those mods you will never be able to manage them especially if you play on several servers. It's exactly the reason why you don't really see modded servers with anything but ACE, ACRE and a custom island pack in ArmA2.

You just never figured out how to use any of you launchers, did you?

I know that Six has the worst UI in the history of programming, but there are easier programs out there.

A vehicle mod is ONE folder. One. My clan uses the Paladin and the Raven UAV and no one has had a nervous breakdown yet.

Also, I routinely see servers running DOZENS of mods.

You have just become emotionally invested in the failure of ArmA 3 to an incredible degree, calling Altis a 'Takistan 2.0 desert' and whatnot. For a long time now you have ceased to see reality through anything but a hysterically pessimistic lens a meter thick.

Peace.

You just never figured out how to use any of you launchers, did you?

I know that Six has the worst UI in the history of programming, but there are easier programs out there.

A vehicle mod is ONE folder. One. My clan uses the Paladin and the Raven UAV and no one has had a nervous breakdown yet.

Also, I routinely see servers running DOZENS of mods.

You have just become emotionally invested in the failure of ArmA 3 to an incredible degree, calling Altis a 'Takistan 2.0 desert' and whatnot. For a long time now you have ceased to see reality through anything but a hysterically pessimistic lens a meter thick.

Peace.

i agree, we use 9 mods on our servers, incuding AiA and everything is sweet. just create a .bat file and shortcut it to your desktop, makes life easier than running Six or any of the other launchers

Every unit I've been in has had a custom mod which included any number of single vehicle mods in it. Most ended up switching to Six Updater profiles though. :) So the issue of having multiple single item mods was a non-issue.

To anyone about the F35 being a "mod" that would actually be manageable, that was just representative of the first 3 mods I could think of xD Feel free to choose your own :p

It's not like the F35 would be used in more than 2% of (non-shit Domination) MP missions in any case. No one has had any fun with air-to-air combat in this game, besides gun dogfight you can do with an L-139 just as well.

Sigh... so now we're down to defending the single plane in Arma 3 by stating that n one plays dogfights ? What next, no one needs boats anyway ? No one plays the civilian side, so why bother ? While we're at it, you can't even play a fish, so remove them too.

Sounds stupid ? Because it is

Sigh... so now we're down to defending the single plane in Arma 3 by stating that n one plays dogfights ? What next, no one needs boats anyway ? No one plays the civilian side, so why bother ? While we're at it, you can't even play a fish, so remove them too.

Sounds stupid ? Because it is

Do you really think that the Sept. 12th Final is the End all to be All? Nope. BIS will add more stuff.....but maturin makes good points here. ArmA 3 is an Infantry Based Game with "SOME" combined arms (Helicopters / Tanks / APC / etc. ) ....not so much emphasis on planes. ArmA 2 had a few planes, but the community added the majority of planes.....not BIS. Altis is going to Rock.....the Infantry part of the game is where the 'Bread and Butter' is at in this Mil Sim. Designing scenarios....modding...... making new Multiplayer Scenario's...... making new maps....etc. ArmA 3 is going to be Epic....mark my words.

Do you really think that the Sept. 12th Final is the End all to be All? Nope. BIS will add more stuff.....but maturin makes good points here. ArmA 3 is an Infantry Based Game with "SOME" combined arms (Helicopters / Tanks / APC / etc. ) ....not so much emphasis on planes. ArmA 2 had a few planes, but the community added the majority of planes.....not BIS. Altis is going to Rock.....the Infantry part of the game is where the 'Bread and Butter' is at in this Mil Sim. Designing scenarios....modding...... making new Multiplayer Scenario's...... making new maps....etc. ArmA 3 is going to be Epic....mark my words.

And ? blablabla ...

Since OFP We have same old menu, many scripts, the same editor and more.

They improve it since 2001 ok and ? ...

We are in 2013, i think than many players lost than the BI was also on the war simulations.

They can't use all the functions from the simulations even if we want it.

That's all.

For old player : a very little history :

Do you really think that the Sept. 12th Final is the End all to be All? Nope. BIS will add more stuff.....

Says who ? Up to now, I only saw "We will try, but no promises". I'm really curious where you got your information from.

ArmA 3 is an Infantry Based Game with "SOME" combined arms (Helicopters / Tanks / APC / etc. ) ....not so much emphasis on planes.

Oh, infrantry... right... so... why bother with helicopters ? or animals ? or civilians ?

Before you ask: Infantry needs a backdrop. There's a lot of stuff necessary to create believable scenarios. I find it ridiculous to defend the single plane in Arma 3 with "it's an infantry base game with some combined arms"... "not so much emphasis on planes"...

And, of course, we come to my pet peeve:

ArmA 2 had a few planes, but the community added the majority of planes.....not BIS.

"Community to the rescue"... And again by someone who doesn't do modding himself.

Altis is going to Rock.....the Infantry part of the game is where the 'Bread and Butter' is at in this Mil Sim. Designing scenarios....modding...... making new Multiplayer Scenario's...... making new maps....etc. ArmA 3 is going to be Epic....mark my words.

Altis is going to rock? How cool would it be to fly over it in a jet... or drop paratroopers from a plane ? Or make dogfights ? Oh, wait, no one likes dogfights, and infantry is the "bread and butter"...

Yeah, it's going to epic. I heard that so often, and yet, I can not help but see your words above as the hollow phrases that they are. "Community to the rescue"... "It's so epic"..

you accuse me of judging the game prematurely, but hey, it's totally ok to praise it prematurely... doesn't matter that praise is just a positive form of judgement...

What's up with your mind spouting this mindless and nonsensical, blind doctrine of "Greatness Awaits. Be ready for the Prophet!" all over the forums? Maybe you should go outside and learn how to think critically?

Just because A3 main aim accidentally happened to be infantry (and thus A3 was labeled as a sandbox (with little sand) with an infantry focus), doesn't mean we can forgive for lack of aerial vehicles. Everything was fine in A2/A2OA on this category. No campaign at release is also nothing but degradation of the franchise in terms of content.

Designing scenarios....modding...... making new Multiplayer Scenario's...... making new maps....etc.

Ever made any one of them and shared in public? LOL.

Wow I'm almost afraid to post in here with all the flaming. This isn't the "Bag A3, Defend A3" topic is it? lol Anyhow I was wondering if anyone knows a date the dev branch is supposed to be getting the Altis map? Or if there's any official posts giving a more accurate time line than "next week"?

Oh and I'm asking for factual info not opinions or "google it" thanks in advance ;)

Anyhow I was wondering if anyone knows a date the dev branch is supposed to be getting the Altis map? Or if there's any official posts giving a more accurate time line than "next week"?

Oh and I'm asking for factual info not opinions or "google it" thanks in advance ;)

The only official word on this subject is "some time around Gamescom", from the most recent (not so live) livestream. That would be in roughly two weeks just over a week. (Time just flies these days. ;))

Edited by MadDogX

The only official word on this subject is "some time around Gamescom", from the most recent (not so live) livestream. That would be in roughly two weeks just over a week. (Time just flies these days. ;))

Thanks MadDogX, I saw the "not-so-live stream" also, was just wondering if there had been any updated news on it. Cheers though :)

Ah crap Revv/MadDog, you just reminded me results day is round the corner lol. Yeah, I'm hoping to see them fairly soon into/after gamescom, even if half the stuff the community wants won't be there on release. Gotta make do.

Altis is going to rock? How cool would it be to fly over it in a jet... or drop paratroopers from a plane ? Or make dogfights ?

Not very, I'd say, since you'd fly about a minute, and then have to start circling because you reached the end of the map. Helicopters are so much more suited to Arma, flying low and slow. Unless you enjoy flying round and round in circles up in the thick fog. At most, what is useful in Arma are light ground attack planes, like the L-159.

Edited by Johan S

Not very, I'd say, since you'd fly about a minute, and then have to start circling because you reached the end of the map. Helicopters are so much more suited to Arma, flying low and slow. Unless you enjoy flying round and round in circles up in the thick fog. At most, what is useful in Arma are light dedicated ground attack planes, like the L-159.

I took a lot longer than a minute to get from one side to the other in Chernarus and with Altis being larger and having a greater aerospace (I think the whole map (not just terrain) is about 900km^2?) it'd be even longer than that.

Fine, so add a few more minutes. Still not very much fun. And there's also the total lack of any long range sensors (no, I'm not counting the stupid "radar"), making high performance aircraft even more pointless.

If Bohemia leaves just a single plane in the game and doesn't patch any more in, I will personally castrate myself. It won't happen. They've said (but haven't promised because the community gets the wrong idea and development changes over time) they will more than likely patch in more content after release. They've said they'll be keeping the majority of the team on to keep supporting Arma 3. Why would you keep artists on if not to make more content? They won't leave it in the state it is. The only reason they're releasing in Q3 with a bit of missing content is almost purely for revenue reasons.

Ya'll need to calm your tits.

Not very, I'd say, since you'd fly about a minute, and then have to start circling because you reached the end of the map. Helicopters are so much more suited to Arma, flying low and slow. Unless you enjoy flying round and round in circles up in the thick fog. At most, what is useful in Arma are light ground attack planes, like the L-159.

Arma is not a flight simulator, so it's obvious that it will only takes a few minutes to fly over the map with a jet. That doesn't change anything though, as the map is still enormous, and jets are awesome! I really hope BI adds more later!

Arma is not a flight simulator,

Agreed, which makes the huge drama over "OMG, only one jet at release!" quite incomprehensible. There will be plenty of aircraft made available (for those who enjoy that in spite of the crippling limitations of air combat in the Arma engine), both through mods, and certainly at least a few more from BIS.

This is a polite request, please keep things civil in this thread. If not punishments will be imposed.

Thanks RK

Based on the sheer amount of posts that have been made on this subject over the past week or so, I suppose these are the only bits of the SITREP that anyone cares about:

There has been a lot of talk within the community about the release package and assets perceived as missing, most notably more fixed-wing aircraft. We are planning to release more content in patches, besides the campaign itself....

...Top priority for the artists now are two Close Air Support fixed-wing beasts, one for both primary factions.

Everyone happy now?:confused:

Based on the sheer amount of posts that have been made on this subject over the past week or so, I suppose these are the only bits of the SITREP that anyone cares about:

Everyone happy now?:confused:

Very :D

This made my day/week/month/holiday :D

I was never really unhappy but I had hoped for more information on what was coming (content, functionality) and when it was coming. We got neither. I'm still concerned that game design has shifted towards faction balance from realism to the detriment of the game. As it is I'll likely still be plating ARMA 2 after release and hoping ACE is releases soon.