Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Unfortunately, they realized that Game 2 was realized to be way beyond their actual capabilities... even Arma 2 was only meant to be closer to Game 2 than Arma.

Unfortunately, they realized that Game 2 was realized to be way beyond their actual capabilities... even Arma 2 was only meant to be closer to Game 2 than Arma.

Yes, there was some mentioning of this in a dev blog a few years back.

Also, you made me dig through the archive :o. And just for the sake of it they are now re-uploaded. :)

Already the strategic map they have in ArmA 3 really reminded me of this 'Game 2' article.

th_Game2_pcGameraug01_zpsc0f84a08.jpgth_Game2_pcGameraug02_zpsa2b19213.jpg

The remaining page 3, page 4, page 5 and page 6. This brings back memories :biggrin_o:

Considering that and the Joris & Jay devblog where they said that they essentially binned two years of Arma 3 development, I wouldn't be surprised if "Back then, we hoped we will be able to solve those problems in some or other way. Unfortunately the reality was different. In spite of the fact we invested a lot of time and workload into those problems, the last one especially has proven to be too difficult, and it was clear the idea in its original form needed reworking" applied to most of the 2011 and 2012 stuff. :(

I'm sure whatever the issues are, they'll fix em up. I have faith in BIS despite the rollercoaster-powered-by-jet-engine-ride we've been on

<No pun intended up there^>

P.S. colossus, is your avatar Major John Howard from The Longest Day? Loved that film and the person is familiar :o

Yes, there was some mentioning of this in a dev blog a few years back.

Also, you made me dig through the archive :o. And just for the sake of it they are now re-uploaded. :)

Already the strategic map they have in ArmA 3 really reminded me of this 'Game 2' article.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/colossus/th_Game2_pcGameraug01_zpsc0f84a08.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/colossus/th_Game2_pcGameraug02_zpsa2b19213.jpg

The remaining page 3, page 4, page 5 and page 6. This brings back memories :biggrin_o:

Damn!!! Has it really been that long!

Game 2 :(

I still think it would be an awesome game if made now.

Could somebody inform me of a quick list of all these missing features originally planned that won't make release?

Could somebody inform me of a quick list of all these missing features originally planned that won't make release?

• Java implementation
  • proper HALO (only due to missing cargoplane)
  • attaching explosives to vehicles (the old implementation that was shown was just scripted as well)
  • Linux dedicated server support
  • Haven't seen the drop down menu for soldier customization yet (Could still be in nonetheless)
  • 3D Editor

Those are all the originally planned features that won't be in the initial release.

Edited by PurePassion

• Java implementation
  • proper HALO (only due to missing cargoplane)
  • attaching explosives to vehicles (the old implementation that was shown was just scripted as well)
  • Linux dedicated server support
  • Haven't seen the drop down menu for soldier customization yet (Could still be in nonetheless)
  • 3D Editor

Those are all the originally planned features that won't be in the initial release.

You forgot about "Underground" structures, and "Fast Roping" ;)

I'm still hope'n all of those "missing" features show up before ArmA 4 lol!

You forgot about "Underground" structures. ;)

Not really, community jumped to the conclusion about that once the screenshots of the non-enterable hillside shelters were shown.

PurePassion : Haven't seen the drop down menu for soldier customization yet (Could still be in nonetheless)

??

Confirmed also :

Rain^^ lol, but true.

For 3d editor

Maybe yes maybe not, it's work always but unofficial.

Fast Roping

Was already here with mod but without rope... ^^

For proper halo jump

If they use walkable interior as the latest vbs2 version of june 2013, ok :), but i don't think they would make it.

In addition : unofficial but in the alpha animations :

- Fire from cargo position from chopper, more vehicule ? i don't know but if for chopper, we can make the animation for all the vehicules :) (and include limits to didn't use launcher in cargo (in default mode, but possibility to unlock why not) , ... otherwise it will be a beautiful mess in pursuit races

- Jump In run mod.

Have there been any comments from BI as to why these features have been removed/postponed?

I'm really intrigued as to why the F35 jet was removed, has BI actually confirmed the removal of the jet?

Have there been any comments from BI as to why these features have been removed/postponed?

I'm really intrigued as to why the F35 jet was removed, has BI actually confirmed the removal of the jet?

It has been confirmed that the vehicle list on this page is complete for arma3 release date.

More info about jets, and other post release plans will come with the SITREP this week, probably tommorow or wednesday.

Fast roping was never a confirmed feature that was axed. It was never intended to be 'in' in the first placed.

Yeah, but it's a shame.

A lot of people (including BIS dev) want it - and it won't be implemented...

Players will implement it.

Meaning it'll never see widespread use.

An like DayZ got implimeanted...and it nvr got widespread use. If I recall it was is ACE mod an was used extensively. All these ppl basing the game over content axed an most if not all of various features the community made better I mean cmon lots of ACE features from ArmA1 look at ArmA2 features an u can obviouslt see the similarities of ACE mod an BI implementation in A2. Give BI a break the games not even out yet.

I don't want to see the community having to add stuff in as although I do appreciate they make up for what the devs don't include it shouldn't be relied on. For starters when BIS do it (even if it is sh!t), at least it's unified and is built into the core. That sorta leads onto the other part - the community doesn't have to be split over having it or not. Here's a little diagram showing just how fractured it could get; with only 3 mods. Each of the end "results" would be one community, one lot of players with those same mods.

2WyvF5N.png

I just see a glorious line pointing up majestically in that image, ACE, ACRE, F-35? Why so much white space below that?

It's not like the F35 would be used in more than 2% of (non-shit Domination) MP missions in any case. No one has had any fun with air-to-air combat in this game, besides gun dogfight you can do with an L-139 just as well.

The community doesn't fragment. Mods can be turned on and off. Servers fragment. In the past, public servers are either vanilla or ACE.

But most public servers are shit anyways, so clans will continue using their own modsets.

Do you know many clans that use one vehicle mods? Adding mods to a list that add only a single tank or a plane is a barely controllable mess. Especially if you use a modlist for SU it will create so many folders for all those mods you will never be able to manage them especially if you play on several servers. It's exactly the reason why you don't really see modded servers with anything but ACE, ACRE and a custom island pack in ArmA2.

Mods will never fix a shallow game.

Do you know many clans that use one vehicle mods? Adding mods to a list that add only a single tank or a plane is a barely controllable mess. Especially if you use a modlist for SU it will create so many folders for all those mods you will never be able to manage them especially if you play on several servers. It's exactly the reason why you don't really see modded servers with anything but ACE, ACRE and a custom island pack in ArmA2.

Mods will never fix a shallow game.

Yet you still play - and - you will play it when Altis comes out. Right?

Sorry dude, but the ArmA series is an Infantry Based Game, get over it. Also, it takes only about one minute to set up the mods in your game for the server....wow....real tough. I use the French Weapons Pack (community mod created) and it is an excellent mod.....adds about 15 guns with all sorts of scopes and silencers. BIS didn't need to make those mods just for your enjoyment, but team R3F made it for FREE for you to use. The ArmA series is second to none because you can do so many things with it that most other fps shooters won't allow you to do. Why don't you take that into account for such a "Shallow" game?