Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Your signature pic made me laugh due to the irony :)

Yeah, I've thought about that. :p

I think it's very interesting how such arbitrarily defined things such as labels and "official releases" are so important to certain people here. If BIS had decided to release the full game content (including Altis etc.) on the originally planned release date but retained the "beta" label up until the day the campaign was released, nobody here would have batted an eyelid - even though the objective difference it made to us would have been zero.

All this fuss is about dropping an arbitrary label "too early", nothing more.

Let me explain the difference about the 'labeling'.

By buying the Alpha I am allowed to take part in the Alpha & Beta testing and get the final release free. Thats the difference for a customer - not a fanboy.

If something is missing at release, it might be that I have to pay for it. Dealbreaker. And I really expected more than one old fixed-wing airplane.

I really have to admit I`m very disapointed with the list of features/vehicles, because I set my standard to the amount of content I saw at Arma 2 free2play.

For example the Osprey: I really apreciate the focus on quality the devs are going for, but this plane for example comes with the function. It has its unique feature in a battle and there is no equivalent in the confirmed list for release. I bet nearly everyone could get by a not so pretty model or cockpit. So QA did a bad job.

And talking people concerning about bad reviews as its again a release that has to be patched/coming with delayed content.

This company BIS will probably make as much money from custom players buying it for good critics, as they will make backed by its fans.

The more money they can make with the release version, the more time they have working on content they intended to be in the game. Otherwise, we will most likely see an early DLC that has to pay out.

Binning two years of development is a costly thing.

First disappointment was the mismatch of recommended specs (at a reasonble mid/high setting) with reality so far, performance of quadcore, etc. And now the lack of highly expected content. (not the campaign, can wait for that)

Edited by Novahot

I think it's very interesting how such arbitrarily defined things such as labels and "official releases" are so important to certain people here. If BIS had decided to release the full game content (including Altis etc.) on the originally planned release date but retained the "beta" label up until the day the campaign was released, nobody here would have batted an eyelid - even though the objective difference it made to us would have been zero.

All this fuss is about dropping an arbitrary label "too early", nothing more.

Naming a release as a full release is more than a label, it signifies that the developers have finished developing content for it,and are no longer expected to release ingame content for free(vehicles,weapons), only provide technical support.(bugfixing, adding minor features and balancing, but not adding content such as fully new vehicles or weapons)

BIS has promised that they will deliver the campaign, and I believe that, but they did not promise to add essential content like shotguns or jets. They said "maybe", which pretty much means that the addition of the extra needed content solely depends on BIS's kindness. A2 had one free content addition of the AH-64+EW mini campaign, but we don't know for sure if we can trust BIS to add the MV-22 Osprey, proper jets for OPFOR and BLUFOR, shotguns,transport plane etc.. for free

but they did not promise to add essential content like shotguns or jets.

Actually, jets were shown several times, and it's pretty stupid to cut out most of them. But I guess most of us can understand the cuts, and why wouldn't we since we payed half the price of a normal game, and got more content.

^ Eeh... the above is now veering on questionable. Whilst I still don't regret purchasing it and am behind BIS all of the way, they said we'd get all this juicy content, a nice campaign, and more, and we're now facing the prospect that on release we'll have about nil of the first two, being left with just "more"... There's 270km^2 and we have nothing to explore it by! :/

</exaggeration>

Disappointing.:(

And we don't even have a solid confirmation on a post-release content patch for the stuff that got cancelled for release(i mean important stuff like vehicles,weapons,features.Not campaign,that can wait).

But hey, we are getting a "set of 10 firing drill challenges".AMAZING!!!one!!!11!1

Jokes aside, it was great from their part to apologize for the inconvenience.And they stated the decisions they made were the best from a long-term perspective.So i guess thats something.

Still, this is sad.:(

i wonder how QA wouldn't let the F35 pass but was fine with the scroll menu...:rolleyes:

i wonder how QA wouldn't let the F35 pass but was fine with the scroll menu...:rolleyes:

Yeah the action scroll menu is terrible, but I bet they won't change it. Maybe in ArmA 4. BTW I will be fine If they fixed the problems with opening doors and entering cars.

Yea, I think BIS should ease up with their idea of "quality over quantity", we need quantity, the quality of the APCs and helicopters isn't that special. The blackfoot is just like the AH-64 from A2 plus PiP screens, the Orca and MH-9 are ported from A2, the stryker and some APCs from A2 had an interior to the crew, even if not fully functional/detailed, it was way better than the HUD the gunner has or the box the driver sees through in ArmA 3.

Edited by NMDANNY

Disappointing.:(

And we don't even have a solid confirmation on a post-release content patch for the stuff that got cancelled for release(i mean important stuff like vehicles,weapons,features.Not campaign,that can wait).

But hey, we are getting a "set of 10 firing drill challenges".AMAZING!!!one!!!11!1

Jokes aside, it was great from their part to apologize for the inconvenience.And they stated the decisions they made were the best from a long-term perspective.So i guess thats something.

I agree 100%, and it is very sad for me because I defended BI on every game forum I'm signed in but not anymore...

Yea, I think BIS should ease up with their idea of "quality over quantity", we need quantity, the quality of the APCs and helicopters isn't that special. The blackfoot is just like the AH-64 from A2 plus PiP screens, the Orca and MH-9 are ported from A2, the stryker and some APCs had an interior to the crew, even if not fully functional/detailed, it was way better than the HUD the gunner has or the box the driver sees through in ArmA 3.

I agree.

It's amazing how they stated they were going towards a "quality over quantity" program,but didn't follow up for its expectations.We still don't have interiors for apc's and tanks, and now, we won't have a reasonable amount of airplanes.And we will still have to wait several months for the full campaign...

They could probably care less about loosing 4 customers. No pun intended. They are taking the decisions and calling the shots deal with it.

It is really fun to read this thread . . . highly entertaining I would say at least . . . me getting some more popcorn now. :D

You got any spare popcorn? :D

Yeah, it's actually funny to see much of the thread mistake these announcements for proposals as if they weren't already fait accompli complete with timelines for when the decisions had been privately decided upon...

[...] if they weren't already fait accompli complete with timelines for when the decisions had been privately decided upon...

I don't get the line. In other words? You mean expectable?

Nah, I mean stuff like how the Steamworks decision and evidently this announcement were decided, (somewhat) implemented and then announced after they were no longer subject to change no matter how much people complained.

I agree 100%, and it is very sad for me because I defended BI on every game forum I'm signed in but not anymore...

I must admit that I feel a bit the same right now. But future will tell us what to expect.

The only plane will be the L159 ? Seriously ? Bis became an editor like Dice and the others...

I must admit that I feel a bit the same right now. But future will tell us what to expect.

I'm the only one on forum of 15 men of a gaming community/clan waiting for the release. Am I speaking for all of them?

They are all disappointed if this list is final (like release final) and we are talking about to write off the 25€ and journey on.

Edited by Novahot

it was great from their part to apologize for the inconvenience.And they stated the decisions they made were the best from a long-term perspective.So i guess thats something.

Si si, a bit of humility goes quite a ways and its not often you see people much less game companies stepping up to the plate to say "Sorry, we screwed up."

I'm the only one on forum of 15 men of a gaming community/clan waiting for the release. Am I speaking for all of them?

They are all disappointed if this list is final (like release final) and we are talking about to write of the 25€ and journey on.

The list should be complete for the release of Arma 3 (or as complete as possible, there are going to be some more minor stuff like optics, additional variants of current vehicles and other stuff). It is highly probable that there will be more content after release with the episodes, but no promises :icon_twisted:

The list is release final.

Edited by -Ghost-TF

He hints we will get the other vehicles and weapons after release so they are not rushed.

We know and this is a huge thing for us.

Will see if BIS has the balls to release this state of a game and we are gone. Six weeks to go.

Bis became an editor like Dice and the others...

Too far buddy.:p

BIS's still the same company.They are having problems and they are talking about it to the community.

This kind of behavior won't help.

Sure, they are releasing the game with less content than any previous ArmA game in the series, but they are also innovating and creating wonderful and ambitious things.And that doesn't mean they are not going to be added post-release.

Let us,fans,show them some true support for their work, they need it now more than ever.;)

We know and this is a huge thing for us.

Will see if BIS has the balls to release this state of a game and we are gone. Six weeks to go.

You also have to remember that BIS doesn't make a new Arma game every one to two years. Last Arma game was released in 2009. They support their games well after release and they especially support Arma games after release.

Would it be so hard for them to simply get ArmA 2 aircraft working and just put those in the game? I mean, what is the reason there are no fixed-wing aircraft?

He hints we will get the other vehicles and weapons after release so they are not rushed.

It`s a maybe. Why are the fewest getting it?