Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

pettka is not only an Arma 3 dev but was featured on BI's end during the BI pre-E3 livestream.

Some of us have jobs and can't watch hours long livestreams. I'm just angry I slept through it.

pettka is not only an Arma 3 dev but was featured on BI's end during the BI pre-E3 livestream.

Yes, I had to re-watch that live-stream. He was the one with the heavy Czech accent (I think it's Czech). If I would have known this in the first place, I could have saved you all the trouble :p

Okay, I'm bowing out of this discussion....... I lacked "information" before commenting and I looked amateurish. My dad use to always say, "Engage your mind before putting your mouth in gear." :rolleyes:

One last word: I always seem to forget that most ArmA games / series are Infantry Based Games....and this is going to work great with the Altis Island.

Edited by rehtus777

Am kinda disappointed about content - i was expecting at least 5 or more new weapons , more new modern jets etc

but Time will tell , time will tell ...

Yes, I had to re-watch that live-stream. He was the one with the heavy Czech accent (I think it's Czech). If I would have known this in the first place, I could have saved you all the trouble :p
He's on the left in the PIP here.

I think you've misunderstood the direction.

We've had to put in a lot of effort to get the project back on track towards what we'd expect from an Arma game.

I suppose you won't answer, but I have to wonder what the hell happened with the Arma 3 development. From a consumer's perspective, the game is just an improved Arma 2, and Arma 2 was an improved Arma 1, and Arma 1 came from a direct heritage from Opf.

It's not really something really different and new.

I suppose you won't answer, but I have to wonder what the hell happened with the Arma 3 development. From a consumer's perspective, the game is just an improved Arma 2, and Arma 2 was an improved Arma 1, and Arma 1 came from a direct heritage from Opf.
Without going into detail, it did say earlier that they basically tossed out the prior two years of Arma 3 development which ended up for being naught...
No pettka , just Moricky drinking a beer and Zipper with glasses
What the hell, when did Moricky become skinnier than I remember him being??

Polishing the campaign affects positively to the campaign only.

Polishing the core features affects positively to the both missions and mods in both SP and MP and the campaign itself too: actually to the whole game!

Delaying the campaign and concentrating on core features is the best decision (with the decision of going Steam-exclusive) that you've made during these 2 years that I've been with you. I fully support your decision. Thank you BIS! :cancan:

Great answer. I agree 100% with this. :)

If this is not a big FU to all the fans, I don't know what is. The campaign decision will hurt BIS a lot.

Am kinda disappointed about content - i was expecting at least 5 or more new weapons , more new modern jets etc

Me too.

Where are the F35, MV22, XM25 that we saw in some screenshots?

(I know those were made in 2011 but it's sad to not bring that to the game).

Edited by Papanowel

It does strike me as odd that they announced so many new showcases when that time could presumably be spent by the same people on the campaign. Scrap the new showcases and you could get the first episode of the campaign out for release. That would have placated the public over not having a complete campaign without having to now work on content that most people will play only once or twice anyway. The initial 'survive' episode sounds like it would be the easiest/quickest to produce, and would scratch the OFP itch/be a gentle introduction for new players at the same time. They could work on squad/high command/serious scripting/AI integration later.

According to the official 'timeline', they only realized that they wouldn't finish the campaign on time until after late June... so at some point within the past five or six weeks.

I have a feeling that the reason the first part of the campaign isn't getting released with the game is because the "content" that goes with the campaign isn't ready, ie, planes, guns etc.

Without going into detail, it did say earlier that they basically tossed out the prior two years of Arma 3 development which ended up for being naught...What the hell, when did Moricky become skinnier than I remember him being??

yeah, I also read the "two years of work lost". But I think they were talking of the campaign in that regard.

I think they had a more ambitious, open campaign idea but they couldn't get it to work, so they had to give up and start again with a more traditional campaign model.

But that shouldn't affect the rest. Work done in the engine hasn't been lost. Nor work on the AI, or in the work of asset creation (sounds, terrain, vehicle, weapons, soldiers, f/x, etc).

I think its pretty funny, in all other Arma games the reviews said that the game wasnt finished and that the game needed several patches before even getting playable.

In Arma 3 the game will be released unfinished with the campaign and perhaps more things be released later on.

So for people complaining about buying an unfinished game its nothing different than for example Arma 2, only that instead of bugs and glitches stopping you to do things even in the editor this game comes with a massive map and full editor without the worst gamebreaking glitches but with no campaign and, maybe even some vehicles will be released later on.

For me personally an extremly glitchy campaign is far more worse than a campaign thats released some weeks later(and that it hopefully works).

I have a feeling that the reason the first part of the campaign isn't getting released with the game is because the "content" that goes with the campaign isn't ready, ie, planes, guns etc.

That's my suspicion too

The community can Mod stuff in a matter of days / weeks.

This isn't a solution. The community should not be responsible for fixing all of BIS' shortcomings. Plus there is still no official addon syncing, so playing MP with custom content is a pain in the ass unless you're with an organized group.

I don't understand why BIS (with 70 plus developers) couldn't have made more jets or weapons?

Join the club.

Just some points :)

If I understood correctly, we were notified of how things are going to happen in the near future. I don't think naysayers are going to change BI's plans. Why bother with rants then?

Second, I see many people are worried about reviews - how does that matter to any of us? I really don't understand :) I'm sure the management over there is aware of potential drawbacks of their decisions in that area. It's like all of you are world-class business experts that know better.

I am aware that strong emotions that are being expressed stem from high expectations and love for the game (if you don't love something, you won't be influenced by bad things happening to/with it), and it is understandable to an extent, but this has been dragging out too much, same points being thrown about... with no outcome. Let's just agree to disagree about how BI is doing things is good or bad - it is what they are doing and that is it.

Just some points :)

If I understood correctly, we were notified of how things are going to happen in the near future. I don't think naysayers are going to change BI's plans. Why bother with rants then?

Second, I see many people are worried about reviews - how does that matter to any of us? I really don't understand :) I'm sure the management over there is aware of potential drawbacks of their decisions in that area. It's like all of you are world-class business experts that know better.

I am aware that strong emotions that are being expressed stem from high expectations and love for the game (if you don't love something, you won't be influenced by bad things happening to/with it), and it is understandable to an extent, but this has been dragging out too much, same points being thrown about... with no outcome. Let's just agree to disagree about how BI is doing things is good or bad - it is what they are doing and that is it.

What a long winded way of saying "shut up whiners"

I think it's very interesting how such arbitrarily defined things such as labels and "official releases" are so important to certain people here. If BIS had decided to release the full game content (including Altis etc.) on the originally planned release date but retained the "beta" label up until the day the campaign was released, nobody here would have batted an eyelid - even though the objective difference it made to us would have been zero.

All this fuss is about dropping an arbitrary label "too early", nothing more.

True, but it's still a shame to see what they class as an "official" release; when there is still so much work to be done.

It does strike me as odd that they announced so many new showcases when that time could presumably be spent by the same people on the campaign. Scrap the new showcases and you could get the first episode of the campaign out for release. That would have placated the public over not having a complete campaign without having to now work on content that most people will play only once or twice anyway. The initial 'survive' episode sounds like it would be the easiest/quickest to produce, and would scratch the OFP itch/be a gentle introduction for new players at the same time. They could work on squad/high command/serious scripting/AI integration later.
Probably the showcases, being quite simple missions, are easier to mantain through the constant changes of the Alpha and Beta stages... I hope a full fledged campaign mission will be a lot more complicated than any of the showcases, thus being really difficult to tweak every time the AI or the equipment gets changed...

Yay!