Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

So when it was said tht everything from 2011 doesn't count it really meant tht everything from 2011 doesn't count? Ok I think I get it now.....

So when it was said tht everything from 2011 doesn't count it really meant tht everything from 2011 doesn't count? Ok I think I get it now.....
I'd already inferred as much from the earlier dev hints about how much behind-the-scenes changes (that compounded the existing delays and issues) there were, even before today's blog.

I'm so disappointed right now.

Like seriously BIS, get your act together...

On top of that, all the other stuff that has been simplified/removed for post release got the excuse "Not priority, we need the recources on other stuff" just to find out the other stuff is not finished either (unless the other stuff is showcases and firing drills..).
Well, we do have Joris and Jay coming right out and saying where the past two years went as well as bits of a timeline:
This is not to say that the project has been without issue. Arma 3 started life with a very different team and a very different scope and direction. Since 2012, we've seen the number of developers working on the game double, absorbing the Mníšek studio and bringing in a bunch of talented new hires in key positions across all 3 studios. And, later on in the year, we found ourselves in a position to conduct a thorough project review, which fundamentally re-evaluated the direction that the project was taking.

This turnaround was made no easier by some of the unpredictable events of last year. The uncertainty that was produced and the impact it's had - on both a professional and personal level - cannot be emphasised enough. It made a tough time exponentially more difficult. In the end, this process culminated in the successful release of the Arma 3 Alpha, and, despite some tough, pragmatic choices, we believe that it's put us in a much better long-term position.

Furthermore, the project plans, which crystallised last October, did not sufficiently take into account the great impact that public development would have in parallel to our internal milestones. More time went into directly supporting the Alpha and Beta than was planned, leaving less attention for the full game content. While it pushed our relatively small team's resources further, we stiill fully believe in the early access release strategy, and the benefits it has wrought.

The last sentence interests me, along with an earlier remark about how "It stands, without question, that now more than ever our company believes in the adopted project methodology", since that to me is Joris and Jay signalling that for Arma 4, yeah they'd do Steam Early Access with public alphas and betas all over again.

More specifically with regards to the campaign:

How has it taken so long, then? As mentioned above, the project has experienced fundamental changes in terms of its vision, scope, scale, and setting. Put frankly, almost two years of work related to the original direction was binned. Through a process of playing, evaluating, and honest reflection, we found that the original plan was not headed towards what we expected from a legitimate Arma sequel. The changes that were necessary to put the project back on track have been costly and difficult but, ultimately, we feel, worthwhile.

Seems like Joris'n'Jays "legitimate Arma sequel" vision and scope lies in the realm of PMC DLC.

Seems like Joris'n'Jays "legitimate Arma sequel" vision and scope lies in the realm of PMC DLC.

This.

Funny that you treat that as a knock, considering one of my players' reactions to the whole delay news:

If it's like the original OFP or Resistance campaigns I will play it. If it's like ArmA1 or ArmA2s then nope nope nope. Though PMC's campaign was pretty awesome. Hated the BAF one though because one mission suddenly becomes unfun.
Can't say that I mind these either.

Although, one interesting point to me was the bit about focusing on deliverables...

Two things to keep in mind: 1) Final hasn't been released yet....I don't believe that the list they revealed today is the full list.

2) Final Release is Vanilla. Go back and play ArmA 2 in Vanilla (without ACE 2 or Mods) and you'll see what I'm talking about......there is a modest amount of Weapons and Vehicles.

I believe the Final of ArmA 3 is going to be a lot like the final of ArmA 2 (without all the bugs). There will be "deliverable's" and community Mods to improve the list. Also, I'm sure that they haven't revealed any future weapons yet (2035 should have new technology).

In the End, I believe that Altis is going to be incredible and it's going to take several months (6 to 12 months) before this game is humming with Mod's, Deliverable's, ACE 3, etc. But the Island....that is going to blow us away, I believe. Joris is in charge now....things are gonna be different.

One last thing: Remember, the "incident" last year was a game changer...... we must all be appreciative to even have this game.

ArmA2 vanilla? You mean that game that easily has twice the content ArmA3 will have?

One last thing: Remember, the "incident" last year was a game changer...... we must all be appreciative to even have this game.

No it wasn't. It was one of the issues and it was bad yes. But it wouldn't kill the game.

Although perhaps you are talking about DayZ

Edited by metalcraze

ArmA2 vanilla? You mean that game that easily has twice the content ArmA3 will have? And I'm not talking about campaign here.

You're "Assuming" that the list they revealed today is "Final"....I doubt it. Also, ArmA 2 had a modest list of stuff at the final. I'm not talking about Operation Arrowhead or PMC....I'm talking about the Original Release. ArmA 3 will be the same....they will introduce new stuff as time goes by....

It is final.

Devs don't know if they will introduce anything past release either.

Also, ArmA 2 had a modest list of stuff at the final.

It easily has twice the content. Check ArmA2 website and see for yourself.

5 sides (excl. civilians), each having mostly unique weaponry. All ArmA3 sides (which are 3) even share the same weapons on most vehicles and even vehicles themselves (L139, SDV)

Edited by metalcraze

It is final.

Prove it.

I'm not buying your theory. Why? They wouldn't release just ONE jet. There should be two jets at least ..... one for each major faction (CSAT and NATO). Also, on Valentines day they posted a picture of two Tanks....one was an Israeli Tank. I did not see that Tank in today's list....just another reason to believe that list revealed today is NOT final.

Also, even if you're correct, there are plenty of Mod's already made and I'm sure "AllinArmA" will be up and running within weeks with Altis on it....you can port over everything you can think of that you used in ArmA 2. Chill, bro.

Edited by rehtus777

Me too, but unless it is free, there won't be many more MP servers using it.

I disagree, there are plenty of people who would pay.

I think the type of people who would pay for DLC content from Arma 2/OA to Arma 3 are exactly the kind of people I would want to game with anyway.

Prove it.

If official list and dev statements in this very thread aren't enough then how else can I prove it?

I'm not buying your theory. Why? They wouldn't release just ONE jet. There should be two jets at least ..... one for each major faction (CSAT and NATO).

Don't tell this to me. Tell it to BIS.

Prove it.
The list should be complete for the release of Arma 3 (or as complete as possible, there are going to be some more minor stuff like optics, additional variants of current vehicles and other stuff). It is highly probable that there will be more content after release with the episodes, but no promises :icon_twisted:

Just did.

2) Final Release is Vanilla. Go back and play ArmA 2 in Vanilla (without ACE 2 or Mods) and you'll see what I'm talking about......there is a modest amount of Weapons and Vehicles.

http://www.dayzsuperhive.co.uk/arma-ii.html

Take a look at the vehicle and weapon sections. Even disregarding attachment variants, the asset selection in basic Arma 2 is rather unmodest. I believe Arma 2 vanilla has most of what Flashpoint and Armed Assault and their expansions had, and more.

"How has it taken so long, then? As mentioned above, the project has experienced fundamental changes in terms of its vision, scope, scale, and setting. Put frankly, almost two years of work related to the original direction was binned."

It would be interesting to hear what direction the game was taking, and what 2 years of work was binned?

If official list and dev statements in this very thread aren't enough then how else can I prove it?

Don't tell this to me. Tell it to BIS.

Enlighten me.....I read the following: http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/394-survive-adapt-win

I didn't see one word in there about the Weapons / Vehicle list being "Final" in that article. Joris did say this: "the huge sandbox of weapons, vehicles, factions" and this "Together with a huge sandbox of weapons and vehicles,..." Emphasis on the word "HUGE." :p

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

"How has it taken so long, then? As mentioned above, the project has experienced fundamental changes in terms of its vision, scope, scale, and setting. Put frankly, almost two years of work related to the original direction was binned."

It would be interesting to hear what direction the game was taking, and what 2 years of work was binned?

My guess is that it had to do with the "Incident" in Limnos last year....but they don't want to talk about it because the Case is still pending. They probably had to change many things to the game and this took up much of their time.

I'm hoping the civilian resistance fighters don't get binned, they were shaping up to be some of the most interesting scenarios... It's a shame about shotguns and AK's as well... and jets...

Enlighten me.....I read the following: http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/394-survive-adapt-win

I didn't see one word in there about the Weapons / Vehicle list being "Final" in that article. Joris did say this: "the huge sandbox of weapons, vehicles, factions" and this "Together with a huge sandbox of weapons and vehicles,..." Emphasis on the word "HUGE." :p

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

My guess is that it had to do with the "Incident" in Limnos last year....but they don't want to talk about it because the Case is still pending. They probably had to change many things to the game and this took up much of their time.

So no C-17 aircraft? :cry2:

No six generation fighter? :cry:

Edited by ProGamer

When was a C-17 confirmed anyway? The only non-fighter fixed-wing that I recall seeing in that "extended alpha" list was a "C130j".

Enlighten me....

Read Ghost-TF's post jeez

And that was a reply directly to "If any Devs are watching this thread could we please get confirmation of the "Launch Content" list - ie no shotguns, no F-35, no xm-25, no Osprey? "

Yes that means 'huge' according to BIS is having one plane. I'm sorry.

http://www.arma3.com/launch-countdown

---------- Post added at 00:51 ---------- Previous post was at 00:49 ----------

Me thinks this is what we get on the release date and the rest comes later?

---------- Post added at 00:52 ---------- Previous post was at 00:51 ----------

BIS, you made automous turrets! :)

http://www.dayzsuperhive.co.uk/arma-ii.html

Take a look at the vehicle and weapon sections. Even disregarding attachment variants, the asset selection in basic Arma 2 is rather unmodest. I believe Arma 2 vanilla has most of what Flashpoint and Armed Assault and their expansions had, and more.

This begs the question: If ArmA 2, which is 4 year old technology, has all that 'stuff', then why wouldn't ArmA 3 have most of that 'stuff' and more being that this is new technology with an improved engine?

As for pettka's quote, he's not the "Official" word....until I hear from Joris, I won't believe it. Also, "no promises" is ridiculous....he is joking (that's why he put the devilish smile behind the quote).

When was a C-17 confirmed anyway? The only non-fighter fixed-wing that I recall seeing in that "extended alpha" list was a "C130j".

C-130 is an old aircraft, militaries use the C-17 because it can back up by itself, carry more, land at more steep angles, and can take off quicker as well. But it seems no transport planes or C-17 :pet5: :cry2:

Edited by ProGamer