Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

BI - You are going to loose a lot of hardcore and trusty BI gamers

And nothing of value will be lost. :a:

I guess this means the sixupdater guys can stop updating now, since we "may" have this workshop thing I read about?

There are still things like custom repos, so 6u (and similiar SW) have still some plus.

I don't like Steam but must agree with BI - If It will make game better, then go ahead.

Beside of this, no more news?

Everyone who is even thinking of not buying the game is just ridiculous. I mean Arma 3 is gonna be awesome and for whatever reason you dont like steam your still gonna be able to play it just fine. Relax people.

Yes installing a single patch is such a great accessibility barrier for many people. Good thing we will let those people in now.

And now we can keep the people out who cannot even install Arma 2 mods. Because there is zero difference installing mods with Steam or without Steam.

I don't see how mods will be affected. I've used Combined Ops since it debuted on Steam and I use 70+ mods. No issues.

Also, I haven't even used Steam to launch Arma in six months. It's like as if Steam wasn't even there.

I get why people would want a physical copy. That's understandable. For the other excuses.....pardon...what is the problem exactly?

No my point was that that's how the excuse sounded. ArmA2 has a cumulative patch for every single version of it. It's just download and double-click. It's not a barrier unless the focus is, I dunno, to let some wild tribes that never seen a PC in their lives play? All this "people are too stupid" presented like a feature in marketing speak is getting ridiculous.

And then "hey guys but we have 6 versions of our game and it's confusing but Steam will fix that!" is weak too. Stop re-releasing the game under a different name every time a new DLC is out and there will be no problems.

Blegh. I remember when they said nothing could happen to D2D, when it hits steam I will be in my corner as as old man chuckling. I have to forcibly restrain myself from posting whilst in this anti-steam mood. So im going to log out as I have no idea what my password is here.

And now we can keep the people out who cannot even install Arma 2 mods. Because there is zero difference installing mods with Steam or without Steam.

I don't see how mods will be affected. I've used Combined Ops since it debuted on Steam and I use 70+ mods. No issues.

Also, I haven't even used Steam to launch Arma in six months. It's like as if Steam wasn't even there.

I get why people would want a physical copy. That's understandable. For the other excuses.....pardon...what is the problem exactly?

And there still will be physical copies. Where do these guys get the idea that there won't be physical copies? Let me guess, most of these whiners have never actually used Steam, right?

ArmA 3 will require Steam as it will incorporate SteamWorks which is a bit different than how ArmA 2 was setup with Steam. With ArmA 2, Steam is merely a distribution method and isn't required to run the game. You will still be able to buy a physical copy with the game files so you don't have to download the whole game, but it will require that you install Steam (if it isn't already).

And there still will be physical copies. Where do these guys get the idea that there won't be physical copies? Let me guess, most of these whiners have never actually used Steam, right?

Steamworks means you have to launch steam. Nnja

Furthermore will VaC be used over battleye?

Blegh. I remember when they said nothing could happen to D2D, when it hits steam I will be in my corner as as old man chuckling. I have to forcibly restrain myself from posting whilst in this anti-steam mood. So im going to log out as I have no idea what my password is here.

D2D was bought out by Gamefly. I don't have a reason to download my old stuff that I had on D2D, but I did check and it's still available. With Steam you can create backup copies of games if you are worried Valve will disappear.

i have steam version, but with using some of my brain, ive made it to standalone, combined in 1 folder and never used steam for that.

Steamworks means you have to launch steam. Nnja

Furthermore will VaC be used over battleye?

Yes, but THERE ARE STILL PHYSICAL COPIES. You still buy a disk to install the game from. You need Steam to RUN the game, not INSTALL it. Why don't you actually go get Steam, get one of the free games on it, and actually SEE how the program works. THEN you can talk to me about how Steamworks runs.

D2D was bought out by Gamefly. I don't have a reason to download my old stuff that I had on D2D, but I did check and it's still available. With Steam you can create backup copies of games if you are worried Valve will disappear.

all still available? Half of my library is stuck in "We're in the process of making this game available to download. Please check back soon." Had to use less than legit ways to get games I already own.

Im still reasonably sure that with that backup I will still need a "nonlegit" program to make it work without steam. (for steamworks) games.

Yes, but THERE ARE STILL PHYSICAL COPIES. You still buy a disk to install the game from. You need Steam to RUN the game, not INSTALL it. Why don't you actually go get Steam, get one of the free games on it, and actually SEE how the program works. THEN you can talk to me about how Steamworks runs.

Who is talking about installing the game? Not me. So why are you quoting me?

also perhaps look at my previous posts?

xv7ZCAVs.png

Edited by Masharra

As I have never used Steam before I have to ask how does it work? Do I have to run Steam only for installation / activation and for updates or do I have to run Steam every single time I want to play the game?

Yes installing a single patch is such a great accessibility barrier for many people. Good thing we will let those people in now.

Stay with the facts please, i had to use 3 to 4 patches. Recently I had to reinstall everything for a second time becausd the first reinstall got all wonky because a patch was supposedly installed too soon. I now keep this with me if I ever need to reinstall again:

1. Install Arma 2

2. Install Arma 2, 1.11 patch

3. Optional: if above patch does not work, install the patch to bring it to 1.05 first and go back to step 2

4. Install Operation Arrowhead

5. Install BAF DLC

6. Install PMC DLC

7. Install ARMA 2: Combined Operations / Operation Arrowhead / Reinforcements Patch 1.60 (if you install this before the 2 DLCs your install will get FUBAR even though it's supposedly also a combined operations patch)

8. Install ARMA 2: Combined Operations / Operation Arrowhead / Reinforcements Patch 1.62 (if you install this before the 2 DLCs your install will get FUBAR even though it's supposedly also a combined operations patch)

9. Install ACR DLC

FINISHED

I would much rather be allowed to buy this game when it comes out

Not so keen on renting it from steam

Read the blog, you can still buy it on DVD.

All I care is "Let's Jam!" :cool: As long as we have the editor and can mod the game within the Community, then I'm good with just about anything BIS throws our way. My experience with Steam has always been a good one. Bring on ArmA 3.

Read the blog, you can still buy it on DVD.

It doesn't change anything apart from not having to DL it, it still requires Steam.

all still available? Half of my library is stuck in "We're in the process of making this game available to download. Please check back soon." Had to use less than legit ways to get games I already own.

Im still reasonably sure that with that backup I will still need a "nonlegit" program to make it work without steam. (for steamworks) games.

Same here -lost quite a few on the D2D > Gamefly changeover.

Bye then, I guess. No need for me to hang around here anymore :( Saddest day of my life...

+1 Carl

Xeno

some people who are kinda afraid of steam, reminding me of old farts, who can't push the button to start the computer. Really i have big media shops in my city, but if i can have a game just from my home, without having to go in to that shop for a single cd, why not use that opportunity? We are in year 2013, if someone has forgot that.

CD players have been commercially available since October 1982.
- long ago, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc

I don't see the big problem in a steam only version, You don't need an internet connection to play or anything it's only when the game needs to be updated it sucks a bit because then you have to wait for it to update :( but except that i'm happy with how my Arma 2 CO is running i also have a shortcut for it so i can open it without even have steam open and i'm sure that will be made for arma 3 as well.

Regards

At least now you will see who is the "real" fan of arma as arma 3 says - you must ADAPT and SURVIVE

it's only when the game needs to be updated it sucks a bit because then you have to wait for it to update :(

You can set Steam so it doesn't update your games automatically.