Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

If you hate steam then you probably have a shitty computer, i bought all the arma 2 content off of steam and no problems.

Iam all for Steam exclusive, i can see why some people are upset though. (Some people just don't like apple juice, they prefer orange juice)

However, keep in mind that steam will have no detrimental effect on moddability and/or dedicated servers at all. It is ENTIRLY up to Bohemia Interactive if they want to make the game moddable and/or have dedicated servers. Steam merely serves as a distribrution platform and a downloading service provider.

Now, let's talk about the benefits of a steam exclusive ArmA 3. They can utilize steam functionalities such as patching & delta patching (that is covered in their blog update). They can utilize VAC anti-cheat which even though has questionable effectiveness, repeated cheating offenses will get your Steam account suspended. They can potentially utilize steam workshop, which serves as a mod database for the games in questions. This makes mods easily accesiable and easy to install.

Appologies for my english, not my first language.

Cheers, Skjold.

Steam doesn't support this AFAIK (or maybe it does now), but it is possible using standard Windows junction points. I have done exactly this with Planetside 2, for example. :)

No longer necessary.

jOuW2Cg.png

Steam doesn't support this AFAIK (or maybe it does now), but it is possible using standard Windows junction points. I have done exactly this with Planetside 2, for example. :)

Not needed anymore. With the latest Steam clients, you can create more than one steam library on different drives and chose the library to install to. Very welcome change indeed.

EDIT: Aannd ninja'ed :)

The later steam versions allowed steam libraries to be created on other disks. I think the game needs to support it, but it is possible. When you install the game, you select which library (i.e. disk) you want to install it in, and it will install there. And of course, all games will be visible on the steam library page, regardless of where they are installed.

Edited by Varanon
Double nina'jd :|

The only problem I see is that this will need a permanent internet connection, ruling out anybody who doesn´t have that (that may include me from april on :( )

Otherwise, the annoyance is not comprehensible to me. Arma 3 seems to turn out as a pretty troubled development, and at the end I´d love to see a book or something published on that, looking behind the scenes.

Also, the new screenshots are fantastic. KH2002 all the way bebe

(Not being critical right now because A: Fanboy and B: I don´t expect this to be all the news and will wait until everything´s published to draw conclusions.)

If its going to be on steam, I wonder if a workshop will be introduced, would make modding much easier for some players.

The only problem I see is that this will need a permanent internet connection, ruling out anybody who doesn´t have that (that may include me from april on :( )

The blog update clearly states that you can play the offline portions without an active internet connection using the Steam offline mode.

Steam doesn't support this AFAIK (or maybe it does now)

It most certainly does:

lol_steam.jpg

Edit: ninja'd by sniper :(

If its going to be on steam, I wonder if a workshop will be introduced, would make modding much easier for some players.

Indeed. I wonder if the modding tools will also be available via Steam (like with Skyrim) and whether it will be possible to directly deploy a mod with the tools via the workshop. This is possible with Skyrim and quite interesting since it can also automatically update the mods once new versions are available.

More likely it was just a economical adjustment about what kind/type of distribution system is the lesser + risky evil for BIS and their game projects. Keep in mind a company is more or less focused on maximizing their profits. Only a veryvery few are just too happy to reach the break-even point.... ;)

I regret the time when devs make games and the game support was free, without DLC we has got real addon package in an other box not only digital version. Now with Steam Devs can buy you the game the same price than a box version, it's theft it annoys me !

In France Steam killed a society call "GAMES", this society sale games and used games. With Steam they put the key under the door...

I realy like BIS games,they're a very different to the others, the community is very active. This community will die with Steam. For example ArmAholic is for me the best website on ArmA series players will desert this site with Steam. They'll can find addons on Steam now...

The blog update clearly states that you can play the offline portions without an active internet connection using the Steam offline mode.

You need an internet connection to install the game, without connection, no code check, no code check results in no install and thus no game. That´s the problem, basically. After you´ve installed you can play offline, obviously.

Edit: Besides, what´s with everybody whining about communities dying and the game being ruined. This reminds me of the stereotypical old men, hanging over their fences and waving their walking sticks as they complain about the youth and how everything was better when they were young and how everything today is ruined.

Steam is not only an excellent basic platform for development, but it also offers -massive- advantages as far as Advertising goes, and one central marketplace along with shop sales. Steam has not ruined gaming, in fact Steam is one of the reasons why -proper- games still exist. Not speaking of Blockbusters, I´m speaking of truly creative and challenging content from the Indie sectors of the market.

Just because all you´re paying attention to is what the big three are doing doesn´t mean gaming is ruined. There are tons of cool games out there, but you have to open up to find them. Steam is one of the places where they can be found.

The only problem I have with it is what I stated above. Aside from that, this is not a decision worthy of moping about.

Edited by InstaGoat

This community will die with Steam. For example ArmAholic is for me the best website on ArmA series players will desert this site with Steam. They'll can find addons on Steam now...

Are you serious?

I take Skyrim as the prime example of a game that lives off its modder scene, just like ARMA. For Skyrim, you have two major sources for mods: The Workshop, and Skyrim Nexus.

Some people prefer the workshop, some prefer Nexus, but there is certainly nothing like "community death" with this, quite the contrary, Skyrim is still regularly in the Steam sales Top Ten, and mods are released on a daily basis.

I seriously think people put too much into this. Steam will only mean a different approach to distribution. Nothing else needs to change.

The only thing that annoys me with Steam is that you cannot re-sell the games you have on Steam, but with Arma 3, that isn't an issue.

Steamworks? So that means ArmA3 will forever remain DRM-ridden and have annoying issues Steamworks DRM brings with it. Like painful mod launching. Or if you are getting disconnected from steam store (which happens several times a day, sometimes lasting for hours during sales) - steamworks automatically kicks you out from MP game. This was happening to me and my friends in L4D2 and DoW2 and during sale days when steam servers go down for hours under load playing steamworks games without forced disconnect was nigh to impossible.

WTF BIS? And no marketing bla bla bla from blog doesn't do it for me.

Bye then, I guess. No need for me to hang around here anymore :( Saddest day of my life...

Why is it so bad?

We needed to spend far too much time on creating and testing all the master copies. Every patch had to be tested for every conceivable combination of distribution, patch and DLC. This drained so many of our resources, that we could not support the game itself as much as we'd have liked.

This alone would be a reason enough to move over to Steam.

It's time to people come out of their caves and take off their tinfoil hats (Im beign watched by Steam; They'll remove all my games for no reason; And if they declare bankruptcy!?) and embrace what will be more and more common from now on. Just watch what happened to the music and movies scene, watch the inital moments of the Playstation meeting yesterday. Like it or not, digital distribution and cloud stuff is here to stay and evolve.

And this is coming from a citizen of a country that have one of the worst internet services around the globe, yet, found little problem with Steam and its counterparts.

Arma 3 to be Steam exclusive? NOOOOooooooooo-Okay, fine. Sometimes I feel like the detractors exaggerate Steam's faults and flaws a little too much.